General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
HUNTINGTON BEACH, California
United States
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 36m 11s
Overall Rank = 296/8405
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 34/534
Pre-race routine:

I am currently training for Ironman California 70.3. (March 30th) Surf City was a tuneup race as part of my training and the plan does not include a Taper or recovery. (Beyond treating it as a hard run day) The ideal approach for races like this seems to be to execute it as a hard tempo run (With Support) and a strong kick at the end to get a taste of competition.

The race I am training for is a Half Ironman distance. It starts out with a 1.2 mile swim transitioning into a 56 mile bike ride and finishing off with a 13.1 mile run. I did this race last year as my first Half Ironman and did much better than I would have ever ever expected to. It really was a perfect day. The reality is though, that the run is still a big limiter for me and I need to continue to work on it. Specifically, the ability to run an optimum race on less than fresh legs. But I also know that improved Muscular Endurance on the bike will decrease the amount of fatigue I will be required to run with.

My plan called for a ride on Saturday of ~40 miles with the intent of insuring that I would not hit the start line fresh and rested. The idea is to remind the legs and the mind what it is like to kick into a 13.1 mile run in a state of fatigue. In a perfect world, I should not feel any worse at the beginning on of the HIM Run as I do at the beginning of this tuneup race. Of course, pacing the bike to make that happen can be quite challenging.

Pre-Race FE

Organized a little FE with a bunch of Tri Kids from BT and also Sam from RT. A bunch of us met up at 8:00AM for a planned ride. PGoldberger (Paul), ElHeffe99 (Jeff), MattKempf (Matt), JJCTRI (Joe) and KRLudwig (Keith) took off from the expo with a plan to ride up the Santa Ana River Trail to the Pond and back. (Where the Duck's Hockey Team Play) Ride was about 35 miles round trip and fit the bill perfectly.

We took it pretty easy through the outbound trip and the trail is a bit tricky in a few places and wanted to make certain that everyone made it through OK. At the Pond, We broke up into two groups and Paul, Matt Joe and I pace lined through the first half of the ride at a pretty good clip. One by one, each of us started to drop off the back leaving Paul up front to really pour on the speed. I was the first to drop off the back but was able to hang onto another speedy rider on the trail for a while and catch up.

Only because the onshore winds picked up (Slowing Paul down) we were able to gain some ground on him. (But no one ever managed to catch him) Paul did IMCal last year and he and I played tag through most of the bike course. Either he was holding something back that day (A definite possibility given his experience) or he has gotten much faster.

After the ride, we hit the expo and changed then headed over to El Ranchito for lunch. A few more BT Kids Triaya (Yanti), DoloresM2 (Dolores), TriBabe2006 (Lori) and 261 (Sam) met us for lunch. Yanti's friend Faeron also joined us along with Sam's DW and 3 Kids. Was definitely a memorable FE and it is great to meet so many local folks and hang out for a bit. We all chat from time to time online, and putting a name to a face really makes it all worthwhile. Enjoying a meal with friends is always a great way to end the day.

I've heard that into every life
a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining
about too much of that southern rain

Not too many of us spoke of the weather, but I am certain it was all on our minds. Saturday was mid-60s and plenty of sunshine with just a hint of the wind that was about to assault every one of us.
Event warmup:

The wipers beat a rhythm
Truck spray obscures my vision
But I'm closing in on my destination
Two more hours and I'll be at your door

I woke up early (But not too early) and drove up from Carlsbad and parked at the Edison High School Lot. (Like last year) As soon as I got out of my car, I knew this was going to be an interesting day. The light rain was coming down almost horizontally and it was quite chilly. I was wearing a Tri Suit with arm warmers and gloves with a short sleeve tech shirt pulled over. I also had a plastic Trash bag on that would have made Bruce Proud. Waiting in line for the shuttle, I did not feel as cold as the others looked but came to the understanding that whatever happens today, I was going to be a great training run. (Both Physically and Mentally)

I had planned on putting some dry clothes in my drop bag for after the race, but the size of the line waiting for the shuttles convinced me that I would not have time to drop a bag and still make it for the gun. In line, not a lot of folks were speaking, but they did not need to say much for me to read what was on their minds.

The shuttle ride went pretty quick and I had about 10 minutes to do my warmup and get to my corral. My plan was to not do any stretching, but just a short 400 meter run and then get into the corral. The transition area at IMCal is at least 800 meters long and I ended up running almost the entire length last year in T2 so this seemed reasonable.

I got into the middle of the first Corral and started to size things up. I was very comfortable and warm in the pack but knew some cold and wet times were in store for me. The rain continued to fall and the wind was a steady 20 knots. Air temp was about 40 degrees. (As predicted) The wind was coming out of the South West and from what I knew of the course, it would be coming over my left shoulder for the first 8 miles of the race, and then dead in my face after the turnaround and all the way back to the finish. I figured that mounting a late race kick would be tough into the teeth of this storm.
Run
  • 1h 36m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1: 7:30
Mile 2: 7:28
Mile 3: 7:19
Mile 4: 7:44

The elites take off and they move our corral up to the start and we are off. I planned for the first 4 miles to be easy at about marathon pace (7:30 Mile). I also knew that the only real hill would be at about mile 3 and wanted to maintain even effort through this stretch of course. First couple of miles I hit my pace but then it started to creep up. The hill came along just at the right time to slow me down again and I was very happy with how I felt heading down the hill toward mile 5.

The rain and wind did not seem to be a factor at all and I felt like I was running strong.

Mile 5: 7:32
Mile 6: 7:23
Mile 7: 7:22
Mile 8: 7:17

For the next 4 miles, I had planned on running about a 7:20 mile. Except for mile 5 where I had to stop and tie my shoe, it seems like I was working into the pace pretty nicely but just a bit slow. I picked it up a bit at mile 8 to prepare for my planned kick to the finish. At about mile 7.5, I ran past my cousin. She was doing the full marathon and were were on a shared part of the course. I said hello, gave her a quick hug and was off and running again.

Hit the 8 mile and the turnaround feeling great. My stride was open, free and easy and was still feeling really strong.

Mile 9: 7:19
Mile 10: 7:22

Into the wind I went. I was putting a bit more effort into my run but not really going any faster. The wind was coming off the ocean and into my face and I had to pull the brim of my cap down pretty low to be able to see properly. I was starting to play roadkill and all I really needed to do was see my next victim so it was not too bad. I focused on staying as close to the left as possible to get a bit of shielding from the other runners. I passed my cousin and her group (She was going the other way) and they cheered me on and gave me a bit of a boost.

As for pace, I figured this was best speed for the effort that I was willing to put in at this stage of the race. I was passing a lot of folks at this point. Instead of picking the next person in front of me, I was looking up about a 100 meters or so and focusing on runners farther out. (Focusing to catch that person) It was working really well to keep my mind off of everything else that was going on.

Still feeling good that this point and starting to get amped for the final 5k kick to the finish.

Mile 11: 7:27

I reached the point of 5k to go right at the bottom of the last hill on the course. We climbed from beach level out of the Bolsa Chica Wetlands up into the cliffs. I just focused on passing folks and maintaining even effort and it seemed to pay off nicely. My pace did not falter much at all. As soon as I hit the top of the hill, I started to open up the stride and execute my kick.

Mile 12: 6:51
Mile 13: 6:50
Mile .1: :39

I kicked hard and started blasting past everyone. Seemed like a lot of folks were faltering here but I was having none of it. Just like in training, I was hitting my 5k pace for the last 2 miles and it felt great. I hit my watch for the mile splits but was not looking at it. It felt smooth and easy with no pain for the most part. When I could see the finish line (As I passed the pier) I was able to find one more gear and really booked it. I was chugging like a steam locomotive and starting to fatigue but every time started to feel bad, I pressed for more speed. (Thank you Scott Douglas)

I flew across the chip mats and almost crashed into one of the catchers on the way through. Leaned over the rail and recovered a bit and looked at my watch but that was a lost cause. My brain was not yet working and the actual finish time would not have registered anyway.
What would you do differently?:

Was an optimal tuneup race and an excellent workout both physically and mentally.

Being a Kid from California, I was a bit underprepared to dress properly for a wet race. Need to find a waterproof shell to run in.
Post race
Warm down:

Gave my chip to a volunteer (I was wearing a Chip Holder) and got my cool medal for the race. Then I glanced at my time and was stoked to see I was about 30 seconds slower than last year. I had expected to run much slower given the intensity I planned on putting into the run and the differences in weather and this years course. Then I had a sudden thought, "Crap, I ran this thing too hard and have just clobbered any chance of any good training for week 6".

I got some water and a bit of food and headed over the finish to watch for Sam and the others to finish. I waited until the Marathon Clock read 3:16 and realized how chilled to the bone I really was. There was no way I was going to see anyone finish so I wandered over to the food tent but was still shivering uncontrollably.

So, I hopped on the bus with my food bag and headed for my car. Got out of the wet clothes, put some dry ones on and cranked up the heat in the car. I did not warm up completely until about an hour after I got home. I called my Cousin, Sam and Yanti (Phone Numbers that I had) and wished them a good race. I felt bad about having to bail out on my cheering duties, but I did not want to get sick.

After some food and 3 cups of hot broth, I took a short nap before everyone came over to watch the game. I felt great after my nap with no fatigue at all. This morning when I woke up, I still felt good and decided to stay on plan with my recovery run after work today. Seems like I did OK with the idea of keeping the intensity level in check during the race after all.

Final Stats:

Chip Time: 1:36:11
Overall: 296/8405
AG: 34/534

I ran a 1:55 Negative Split and In spite of running 43 seconds slower this year, I placed much better overall and in my AG. Best of all, I will no longer fear weather like this on race day. I seem to trive in less than ideal conditions and feel like I ran a really strong race.

And it will never cease to amaze me
how a little rain can drive folks crazy
When I'd trade all my blue skies gladly
for your blue eyes, crooked smile
and a steady downpour

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running is still my weakest discipline.

If I am going to run a Sub-3 marathon this year, I need to run a few more of these and get my PB time for this distance at least down to 1:25. Given yesterday's race, I don't think I am that far from having the fitness to make that happen.

Just need to do a half as an "A" Race with a proper taper and recovery period.

Event comments:

This is a very well organized race in a beautiful location. The weather was not normal for this location or time of year. It sells out very quickly for good reason :) :) :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-11-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:11 | 13.1 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/534
Overall: 296/8405
Performance: Good
Course: Fairly flat out and back along Pacific Coast Highway with a diversion at mile 3 up and down the hill into a housing development.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-04 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon

Thanks to all of the Cool Kids from Southern California that showed up for the FE on Saturday and/or ran this race on Sunday :) :)

I uploaded a few pics of the Lunch. Notice the 1,000 Kilowatt Smiles as the Cool Kids enjoy their lunch and for at least a moment, forget about the impending weather doom ;

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-02-04 3:41 PM

2008-02-04 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1193968

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
Subject: RE: Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon

Congratulations, Tim!  Looks like those killer workouts are helping (with the 5K pacing at the end)...that was quite a kick at the end!  This really does sound just as mentally challenging as physically.

Glad you had a good time!

2008-02-04 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC

That was a great race report (as usual).  I love the detail you put into your reports!

It sounds like you had a great race in some pretty crappy conditions!!  Great job!!

2008-02-04 5:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-05 12:41 AM

Regular
man I am glad nobody pointed out just how cold it would be early morning on a rainy windy day in February

Thanks for letting me join in on your lunch! It was great to have a chance to meet some other tri people.
2008-02-05 1:27 AM

Extreme Veteran
Awesome race Tim!! Wow. You are speedy! Great job. I enjoyed the race report too.

2008-02-05 1:45 AM

Melon Presser

Loved every word of your race report.

Loved every minute of lunch with you and the Cool Kids.

Love that you made the most--according to plan--of every step of your race.

SUPER JOB!!!

2008-02-05 2:18 AM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Great race report! Hopefully I can join in with you guys for lunch next time. I'm really bummed that I didn't read about it until after the fact.
2008-02-05 2:45 AM

Pro
Irvine, California

Way to rock that race!  You kept a really consistent pace, and then kicked it into overdrive on the last 2 miles -- wow!!

Was great to meet you and the other BT peeps at the gathering on Saturday.  Good luck with the rest of your training towards IMCA, and I hope you do great!

2008-02-05 6:08 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-05 12:44 PM

Master
Long Beach, CA
What a great run...and in inclimate weather, no less! Great way to turn it on in the end! Woo hoo!

2008-02-05 1:17 PM

Pro
AZ

Wow! Sorry the weather was so icky! But you still had an awesome race!! Soooo wish I could run that fast! Perhaps I can be on roller blades and you can pull me! Hahaha!!!

You're still my running idol!

2008-02-05 2:22 PM

Regular
So. Cal.
Dang impressive run! Congratz and good luck in Oceanside at the 1/2 IM!
2008-02-05 4:11 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Great job! Sounds like this race was just what you wanted/needed it to be. Well done!
2008-02-05 8:06 PM

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Loved the RR with the quotes pretty cool.  You had a great race as well, in really awful weather.  For me - the thing is, at mile 8 no sweat, cause by the time I got there the wind was blowing the OTHER way, so a nice tailwind going back not a headwind at that point.  (yeah, you were finished already...)
2008-02-05 9:48 PM

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Great job in tough conditions.

I'm sure you'll be plenty ready for your 1/2. 

2008-02-06 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1196342

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Nice work!

And diggin' the Cowboy Junkies lyrics!

2008-02-06 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1196743

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Daremo - 2008-02-06 8:37 AM

Nice work!

And diggin' the Cowboy Junkies lyrics!

x2

I'm also always surprised that you consider your run the weakest of your three disciplines.  It must be weakest by the eensiest of amounts, because you seem like a pretty speedy dude to me!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed