General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
HUNTINGTON BEACH, California
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 58m 28s
Overall Rank = 789/1076
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 102/121
Pre-race routine:

Quick breakfast of a PBJ sandwich and 24oz Gatorade AM on the drive to pick up Mike and then onto the race.
Event warmup:

Thankfully we got to the race pretty early and got a really good parking spot close to the expo tent. I then sat in the car for about 20 minutes watching the light rain come down. With about 30 mintes to the start of the race, walked to the start and found an area that was semi-protected from the rain until the start.
Run
  • 4h 58m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Went into the day with a goal of 4:30.

Got off to a good start with a 9:58 1st mile but when I saw the 2nd mile at 9:38, I was thinking I needed to hold back. However I was running comfortably so figured I'd just continue with the current pace. (Big Mistake!) I noticed my thighs starting to feel a little sore somewhere around mile 4 which was very unusual. I am not sure if they just never loosened up or the wet pavement altered my stride but in the back of my head I was thinking this could be a problem somewhere down the road. At the 6 mile marker, decided to take the 1st gel and a 30 second walk break to try to get my legs to relax a bit.

Mile 8 was my last sub 10 minute mile for the day but I wasn’t too concerned because I was still way under pace for a 4:30 finish time. We also joined the half marathon course around there and all of a sudden having people fly by me right and left was a little depressing and for some reason I dispised them for it. Mile 12 I decided to take my 2nd and last gel. I had packed 4 but Mike said he read they would have shot blocks at some of the aid stations so I figured I’d only take 2 with me then use the blocks later in the race. However, up to this point I hadn’t seen anything so I was hoping he wasn’t wrong, which he wasn’t because one of the next stations had them. For the most part, from mile 8 to 15, I was able to stay under 11 min pace however after that is where I really started losing big chunks of time towards my 4:30 goal.

About mile 16, the course split from the half marathon and I was pretty envious of those people and actually wished I was part of that group. The marathon course turned around for a fun 4 or 5 mile stretch on the path along the beach that happened to be into a head wind that just ate me up. This was also the 1st comical moment of the race for me. As I was sick of the shot blocks at this point, I grabbed 2 LA Bars off the aid station table. My hands were pruned pretty well at this point so I couldn’t tear the damn thing open. I tried opening it with teeth but I could only manage to rip just a small corner of the package. I did finally manage to get them open but what an effort! Disaster for me struck around 20.5 miles into the race, just before the turnaround as my left calf tightened up. I’ve had this happen before and knew not to try and run through it. Too bad because with the wind at my back I thought I would be able to hold pace on the run back to the finish. That however turned out to be a combination of mostly walk with some easy running until I would feel the calf and eventually both calves start to tighten up. Comical moment #2 was around mile 22 when I grabbed a Smuckers PBJ Crustable sandwich off an aid station table. (I honestly never eat doing a race, I have no idea what came over me.) I probably should have stopped at the aid station because I didn’t think to grab a cup of water to wash it down with and I spent the time it took to get to the next aid station spitting out what looked like paste.

At some point I knew the 4:30 wasn’t going to happen so I just tried to salvage the best time I could and 4:58:16 (by my watch) was the best I could do. It's hard not to be dissapointed missing my goal time but I did take away a lot of knowledge from the race. I also felt physically better duing this race then at the OC and bettered that time by about 15 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

My only other marathon was the OC in 06 which was a complete contrast in terms of weather as it was dry and hot with Santa Ana winds that day. (I think I actually prefer the wind and rain to the dry wind and heat.) I was pretty well prepared for the rain and cold. I had a thermal underware top followed by a long sleeve running shirt then a rain proof running jacket and for the 1st several miles a hefty trash bag along with gloves. I figured I'd peel off layers and stash them on the course if needed and just go back and pick up after the race. I ended up keeping everything on but the gloves and my upper body was fine. Something in the line of running tights or water proof running pants would have been a good purchase for the lower body though.
Post race
Warm down:

Matt, Sherri and Keith ran the 5K and Mike ran the half-marathon and I was not surprised when they were not standing in the rain when I finished. (As a matter of fact, I was thinking they would be nuts if they were there.) Got through the chute and started the slow hobble to the car. My ankles, feet and thighs were killing me so any additional walking through the tent was not even considered, besides, I was full from the 5 course meal I had during the race. Half way to the car the thought hit me "What if Mike's not at the car?" He had the keys. The next thought was "Oh, I hope he moved the car closer!" Followed by "What if I already walked past it?" At that point I figured I'd just sit down in the old spot and wait until he came and found me because the thought of walking the parking lot looking for him was not a pleasent one. Thankfully, about that time he pulled up in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'd say base training. I had 6 weeks of pretty solid runs but no where near the work that needs to be put in for a marathon.

Event comments:

I am already set to make this race in 09 my next (3rd) marathon. Hopfully with a better base of training and more favorable weather, I'll get my time goal.

Last updated: 2008-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
04:58:16 | 26.2 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 102/121
Overall: 789/1076
Performance: Average
Mile 1) 9:50 Mile 2) 9:39 Mile 3) 9:30 Mile 4) 9:35 Mile 5) 9:31 Mile 6) 9:24 Mile 7) 9:56 Mile 8) 9:53 Mile 9) 10:37 Mile 10) 10:04 Mile 11) 10:03 Mile 12) 10:51 Mile 13) 10:37 Mile 14) 10:30 Mile 15) 11:08 Mile 16) 11:45 Mile 17) 11:10 Mile 18) 12:17 Mile 19) 13:19 Mile 20) 13:11 Mile 21) 14:04 Mile 22) 13:22 Mile 23) 14:38 Mile 24) 13:18 Mile 25) 13:21 Mile 26) 14:03 + 2:59
Course: Wet!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-04 8:13 PM

User image

Regular
So. Cal.
Subject: Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon

2008-02-05 2:22 AM
in reply to: #1194378

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Subject: RE: Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon

Kelly, like I said at the Superbowl gathering, I'm truly amazed that you did this marathon.  The conditions were downright miserable, and I can only begin to imagine how challenging it must've been to slog through it for 26.2 miles!

This is a huge accomplishment, and I'm proud of you bud.  You've inspired me to think that maybe one day I can do one too, even in spite of the fact that I can't run a full 5k yet!

2008-02-05 2:26 AM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Even though you didn't hit your goal time, WTG on getting out there and going the full distance in that weather. I did the 5k race and can't imagine having stayed out in the wind and rain for the full mary. Great job!!
2008-02-05 2:35 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Wow, I am so hugely impressed you did the full mary. There really couldn't have been yuckier weather and you did a fantastic job finishing well, and pretty good pacing considering the conditions and not doing a lot of training. You will be in killer form for next year!
2008-02-05 5:07 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I also did OC and it was definitely a brutal day out there.

Sounds to me like you really thrive in tough race conditions. I bet your just waiting for a local race that is fast and flat with perfect weather :rolleyes:

Nice job sticking with it and gutting it out. I only did the half but a couple of friends and family did the full and I felt really bad for them at mile 16. (I got to run to the finish and they had to continue back into the weather)

Seems like most folks were 30-60 minutes off of their normal finish times. (Similar to OC in 2006) It was pretty darn cold out there but I was suprised at the number of folks out enjoying the day. (As best they could)

Nicely done. Oh, if your looking for a good fast/flat fall marathon with usually good weather, try Santa Clarita in November. I did it last year and will be back again this year for another bite of the apple.

2008-02-05 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Hey Kelly, great job out there. I went down to try and do some cheering but ended up staying inside my buddies house the whole time. I've really got to hand it to you for getting out and doing your best in some pretty bad conditions. Congratulations.

2008-02-05 8:10 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
I think that was a really awesome race for the conditions on the day.  Congrats.  Just wondering if maybe the cold had something to do with your calf cramping - or maybe I'm just grasping at straws...
2008-02-13 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Tough conditions, but you toughed it out!  I'm impressed with your time even if you aren't!

I ran the half-mary at the Shoreline the last two years, then stepped it up to a full 26.2 in Miami this year.   It was the week before your race.  Turns out that we had great weather while you guys got the wet and cold.  Better than heat for running, but not much fun.  I know, I live in Cambridge, Mass... slush-central today.

Nice race pics in any event; certainly worthy of the Guys of BT 2008 thread! 

Cheers, -Sunny 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed