Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 11m 58s
Overall Rank = 7566/8405
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 816/886
Pre-race routine:

Nothing, I just tried to stay as calm and dry as possible
Event warmup:

I had a banana and about a 1/4 of a PowerBar, GE with CarboPro (I love this mix)
Run
  • 3h 11m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't know what to expect coming into the run. The furthest I had run prior to this was a little over 6.5 miles. At the beginning of the year and for the past 7 years I have been struggling with chronic shin splints, so to make it to the finish line was a victory in itself. My goal was to finish and nothing else.

I told my husband before the race that I should finish around 3:30, my goal was to keep about a 15min/mile pace. It was what I had been training at the whole time and so I wouldn't expect anything else.

As always the first 45 minutes are the hardest for me, it's when my shins hurt and nothing seems to be clicking. I knew that if I made it past the first 45 minutes then everything would be okay after that. Sure enough about 45 minutes in everything started clicking. I made sure that I started out slow (for me) because I didn't know what 13.1 miles was going to be like, it's better to finish standing up than being carted off.

About 4 miles into the run I had to take a potty break, I tried to prolong the potty breaks as long as possible, because I knew I was towards the back and I didn't want to end up so far behind where I couldn't catch up in the end. The good thing was that I knew I was hydrated and than gave me a good piece of mind. After the potty break I started up a nice incline. I wanted to run to catch up with the people that I was orginially with but to my better judgement I walked up the hill. My HR monitor was going off like crazy and I knew trying to catch up wouldn't help me any, so I walked up the hill, and gave myself a little break.

Once I got up the hill I decided to jog/trot a little to see how my HR was doing and it took all of a couple of seconds before it started to beep at me again. I turned it off because I thought I could run more than my HRM was allowing me to. So I turned it off, and I started to run. About 4 minutes later I realized that that was a stupid decision and I could feel the fatigue and it was only mile 6, so I turned it back on and wonder what was I ever thinking. Nothing new on race day.

Mile 6-7 were a blur, we ran straight into the wind and the rain and it was miserable. Of all the days it could've rain it had to be this day.

Once I got pass mile 6-7 I knew that it was uncharted territory for me, so I knew I had to take it one mile at a time and focus on the hear and now instead of what was coming up. Doing this helped miles 8-10 go by extremely fast. I started to pass more people during miles 8-10. The people that had passed me before, I was know passing, a good confidence boost that I needed.

Once I saw mile 10 I knew I had a 5K left (when I was in the Marine Corps that's a PFT), no problem. Around the 11 mile mark I started to notice a blister on the bottom of my left foot, soaking wet socks were starting to get the best of me. And my feet started to hurt. I started to realize that it hurt just as much to walk so why not run. At this point I was going to finish no matter what. I would crawl to the finish if I had to.

I had about another 1.5 mile when everything was starting to fall apart. The mental part of the run was going into effect. Right when I thought just walk the last 1.5 miles, I saw my husband and my whole attitude changed. He was able to run/walk to me the whole time, encouraging me the whole way. We took it every other light pole at a time. It was my fastest mile. 13:10.

I saw the finish line and I gave it everything I could my last surge. I cross the finish line and the smile on my husbands face and my face, made everything worth it.

I finished and that's all that matters.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I thought I would finish in 3:30 and I finished in 3:11. That's a PR for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to get some goodies that they were handing out, and walked back to the car, about another 3/4-1 mile to stretch my legs out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was fast enough for my training.

Event comments:

Not a lot of spectators, but it could've been due to the rain and wind. I will do it again if I'm still in the area.

AWESOME MEDAL!!!!

Last updated: 2007-09-03 12:00 AM
Running
03:11:58 | 13.1 miles | 14m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 816/886
Overall: 7566/8405
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty Flat, with a few inclines, if you want to call them that.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-04 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Pacific Shoreline Half Marathon

2008-02-05 2:15 AM
in reply to: #1194568

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Pacific Shoreline Half Marathon
What a fantastic race for you--a PR in uncharted territory in some brutal conditions. Congratulations!!!
2008-02-05 2:21 AM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
WOW! WTG on getting a PR in the conditions we had yesterday! You rock!!
2008-02-05 2:28 AM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

Way to go!  I did the 5k, and that was almost too much for me given the miserable conditions.  But look at you!  Not only did you finish the half marathon, you scored a new PR.  Congratulations!!!

2008-02-05 5:20 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great job out there last weekend

This was about the toughest race conditions we have had in Southern California since the OC Marathon in 2005. (Also with Torrential Rains)

Definitely not the best time to be cranking out a half marathon but you got out there and did it

Sorry we missed you at the lunch on Saturday but I am sure there will be other opportunities later in the season.

Take Care and Recover well

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Shoreline Half Marathon Rss Feed