General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Century/Half-Century: What to bring along? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-06 3:57 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Subject: Century/Half-Century: What to bring along?

I'll be doing my first half century next month, and am looking for tips on what to bring along.  Obviously, I'll be bringing spare tubes and CO2.  But I'm wondering about other things, like:

1. Is it OK to rely mostly on the SAG stations?  (I think I know the answer to this... )
2. How much extra water should I bring, and how much extra nutrition?
3. How much extra clothing?
4. Will certain socks work better for long trips, like should I avoid cotton? (For short rides, I find I prefer cotton.)
5. Should I bring a complete first-aid kit?
6. What works best for carrying stuff: a backpack, fanny pack, or some kind of bag on a rear (temporary) bike rack?

I guess I'm just looking for any tips from folks who have done longer bike rides as to what things to think about/plan for (besides training, of course!).  I know a half century isn't necessarily that big of a deal, but I want to be on top of it.

Thanks!

2008-02-06 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1197859

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-06 4:04 PM

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Century/Half-Century: What to bring along?
Really depends how fast you are. For a half century I wouldnt need much more than a couple water bottles and a cliff bar.

For a full century, different story. Id bring a few cliff bars and gu. Depending on the aid stations.. if they are well stocked and you dont mind stopping, they usually provide most of your nutritional needs.

I never carry more than a tube, pump, patches, multitool... anythng else, Im calling SAG.
2008-02-06 4:09 PM

Elite

One thing I'm bringing on my next fully-supported century:

My own stash of gatorade mix.

Last one I was counting on calories from the gatorade but the volunteers were making it up so weak that it was little more than lightly-colored water.

2008-02-06 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1197872

Pro
Irvine, California

ranger5oh - 2008-02-06 2:04 PM Really depends how fast you are. For a half century I wouldnt need much more than a couple water bottles and a cliff bar. For a full century, different story. Id bring a few cliff bars and gu. Depending on the aid stations.. if they are well stocked and you dont mind stopping, they usually provide most of your nutritional needs. I never carry more than a tube, pump, patches, multitool... anythng else, Im calling SAG.

Well, I suspect we'll average around 12 mph or so, since I'm pretty new to biking, there are moderate hills (the ride is around Solvang, CA), and my brother will be on a mountain bike.  I'm *guessing* it will take us 4+ hours.  (I know, I'm a slow-poke.)

2008-02-06 4:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
How much Extra? Depends on your level of training now---if you know you need X to go 25 miles, plan on 2X. But, SAG stops should be fairly evenly placed and have some food and water for you so you really dont need any extra. Dont know why you'd need Extra clothes, other than something warmer for the start or maybe a rain jacket---just pack it in a jersey pocket when youre done. Socks? Go with what youre comfortable with. But if its going to be hot and you get foot sweaty, cotton will not be friendly after 3 or 4 hours.

Dont worry about 1st aid. SAG will have anything you need and if something real awful happens you or someone around you can 911 via cellphone. Caveat: A few Advil in a sandwich baggie is not a bad idea. I used to keep some in my saddle bag.

For carrying things a bike jersey and a saddle bag should hold all you need--1 tube, CO2, a gel or 2, some $, phone maybe. Ive done a number of century rides and our regular in-season 50-60 mile weekend rides with nothing more than this. But, if youre going to be a Sherpa for your bro or you dont have a good jersey, a small backpack or fanny pack would work. You dont need panniers, etc.

Last, pace is important, esp if youve never gone 50. Dont try to kill it at the start. People will hammer, you dont have to.

Good luck and have fun.

2008-02-06 4:32 PM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

What does the ride provide?  When I did my century last fall, the rest/food stops were fantastic and about 15 miles apart, so it was really more like 7 15-mile rides than one 105 mile ride. 

Bike-tool kit (patches, tube, hex-keys, tire levers, CO2, etc.) in a water bottle
Pump/inflator in my jersey pocket
Two water bottles of water
Gu
Cell phone
Ride map
A couple dollars.

On unsupported rides (like training rides), I may carry gatorade instead of water, a couple of GU's, a power bar, at least $5 in addition to the above items.  I can carry 4 bottles (seat-tube, down-tube, and two behind the seat) one of which is my tool-kit.  I'll stop somewhere and top off bottles with water if it's really hot. 

You may want sunscreen and lip balm even if it isn't real hot or sunny.  You may want raingear or cool weather gear (jacket, toe covers, knee/arm warmers, tights). 

Socks?  Mostly personal preference, cotton may feel softer, but it holds moisture really, really, well.  If there's even a hint of rain/dew, or if you sweat a lot, get some wool or synthetic socks. 

Enjoy the day.  Don't linger too long at the aid stations, but don't skip them either.  (After all, that's what your ride fees go towards.)

2008-02-06 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1197923

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

The 65 miler I did last August had great rest stops, so I went with that.  But we were at the tail end of the group and the food and drinks were petering out at the end.

Why we were at the tail end brings me to my next thing.  Bring a few extra tubes.  My riding partner had two flats.  After the first flat, he was fortunately able to buy a tube at the next stop from the bike shop sponsoring it, but it was their last one!  It's annoying, but you need to be prepared.  Thing about tubes is they are different sizes, etc.  You can usually find something to eat or drink, etc., but you need the right tube to go on.

I wished I had a rain jacket and will stuff one in my jersey next time.  Other than that, we carried everything in small bags behind the seat.

2008-02-06 5:57 PM

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
You said 4+ hours? I assume that's for 50miles if you're calling yourself slow. If that's for 100, I'm calling you a Cat1-2.

Backpack: Seems comfortable at first, but load it up and carry it for 6-7 hours; different story. Also, you don't sweat like you want to and are soaked. If at all possible, don't do it.

SAG: Remember, they're volunteer too. They aren't coming the second you flat and the rest of your perty gets tired of waiting ruining their day. Bring tools, patches, spare tube and 2 CO2. Everyone you're riding with brings this in a seat pack. Your buddies extra cartridge is your spare if you need a third one.

Nutrition: I'm picky about my drinks and prefer Accelerade. I bring 2 scoops in a bag for every rest stop refill. They always have water.

Clothing: Just use your back pockets. You'll likely shed layers, not add them. Some rides will allow drop-offs and shuttle your stuff forward, but don't count on it.

Socks: Cotton = bad idea. Get some Sock-guy or Pearl Izumi polypropylene socks. Yeah, they're $6-7, but they really do the job keeping you dry and comfortable. Blisters from wet feet = bad.

Attitude: If you are the impatient type, this might not be for you. Don't know how many riders this is capped at, but prepare for lines at food, lines at potties, lines at registration, traffic (both bikes and cars), crossing guards who don't see you quickly, Freds who don't ride to the right, yada, yada. Use your patience.

Attitude part 2: Have fun. Toss your bike computer out before the ride. You start looking at "only 12 to go" then "only 11 to go" and you feel tired because you're not making progress. Just ride and have fun. Forget the time, forget the pace. Enjoy the day.

My experience after about 2 dozen organized rides.

Edited by pitt83 2008-02-06 5:58 PM
2008-02-06 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1197885

Master
Cypress, CA
krludwig - 2008-02-06 2:11 PM

Well, I suspect we'll average around 12 mph or so, since I'm pretty new to biking, there are moderate hills (the ride is around Solvang, CA), and my brother will be on a mountain bike.  I'm *guessing* it will take us 4+ hours.  (I know, I'm a slow-poke.)

I did a Solvang 50 miler in November--it's a gorgeous ride and very well-run, you'll have a blast.

The SAG stations were not too far apart, one water bottle is probably OK, two is probably better.  Other than water they had a (fairly nasty, I thought) meal replacement drink called Spiz, but no sports drink, so if you want liquid calories I'd carry some of your own mix.  They had plenty of fruit at the stations, but it probably also wouldn't hurt to carry a couple of bars or gels.

Depending on what time you start and the weather in March, you'll want to be prepared for it to be a bit chilly, particularly in the morning.  Wind jacket over a long-sleeve jersey worked OK for me and I took the jacket off after about the first hour.

Couple of tubes, CO2s or a mini-pump and some basic tools will probably be all you need.  Basic first aid kit wouldn't hurt, but I don't think you'll need anything too sophisticated--there are lots of people around.  I carried gear in a hydration pack (although the bladder leaked so I left it behind, just used it as a small backpack).  I probably could have gotten by with a decent-sized seat bag and jersey pockets. 

2008-02-06 7:27 PM

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I'm doing the century and will have two water bottles, a couple of gels and regular gear that I would have for a race(tube, tool, c02 etc). I had emailed them a while back about aid stations and they told me, at miles 23, 39, 52, 67 and 85.

I can't see that being different for the 50 as how would they know if one was doing the 50 or 100.

2008-02-06 7:36 PM

Master
Everything you need should fit in your jersey or saddle bag. Put your phone in a ziplock in case it rains. 2 water bottles, gu and a clif bar are all that I would take on a metric bike ride. The rest stops will have everything else you will need.

If it is cold a gallon size ziplock bag works great as insulation under your jersey. Lay it flat on your chest under your jersey. When you warm up pull it out and stuff it in your back pocket. Takes up less space than a jacket. Arms warmers are wonderful if the weather is cool. Cycling socks work best.

Try to not to stop at the first rest station. The crowds are horrible. If and when you stop at rest stations keep your stops quick.

If you decide to ride in a paceline ask someone in the group if they mind. Don't be offended if they tell you no. We rarely let people we don't know into our pacelines. They are always welcome to draft off the back but we don't let them cycle through the line. We do this mainly for safety reasons. Hold your line and ride at a steady pace. Don't pass on the right. If you pass on the left tell the group you're passing.

Make sure you have an id and emergency numbers somewhere on yourself or your bike. I was in a horrible cycling accident a few years ago. Two members of our bike club were killed in the accident. We knew their cell phone numbers but didn't know their wives names or home phone numbers. After that we started wearing Road ID's and carrying a bike club emergency list in our saddle bags.

Have a great ride. Let us know how it goes.

2008-02-06 10:52 PM

Pro
Irvine, California

Wow, thanks for all the great responses!  I checked the website, and they do claim the SAG stops will be well-provisioned:

"All SAG stops will have fresh bananas, oranges, cantaloupe, pineapple, trail mix, salted peanuts, raisins, bagels, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, freshly baked oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies from the Solvang Bakery, Fig Newtons, Arrowhead Water and SPIZ, the only nutritionally complete energy drink (www.SPIZ.net). Additional food items may be added as available."

They don't say where the stops will be, so thank you Dave (auto208562) for that info!  I'm sure we'll be stopping at both stops, if there are only two of them for the 50 miler.  (The half follows the same route as the full for the first 23 miles, so I guess it's possible they might have more stops for us, after the routes branch apart.

They also state that there will be roving SAG wagons for mechanical support, but I'll carry some of my own gear along just in case.  I mentioned extra clothing since I suspect it will start out cold and warm up, and there's always a chance for rain.  Since I have more specialty equipment than my brother (e.g., arm and leg warmers that can be packed away fairly small) I may need to play sherpa a bit.  I had thought of bringing a small backpack, but thanks for the warning on sweating -- sounds like a fanny pack would be better.

And CYCLISTtuRUNsTRI, thanks for the reminder on the RoadID -- I have one that I'll definitely be bringing along, since I'm a type 2 diabetic.  And I'm really sorry to hear about that horrible accident where your two biking friends perished, that's unbelievably sad.

There are a number of other BT'ers doing either the half or full, and we're thinking of meeting up prior to the race, if possible, or afterwards.  I started a thread about this in the California forum a few weeks ago, so do check in there if you plan to do the event!

2008-02-07 1:12 PM

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
I'll start by saying I do most of my long rides unsupported. I am also prone to over packing, and I was a boy scout.

I use a camelback for long rides, I find a pack far more comfortable then stuffing my jersey pockets full. (you'll see why when you read the list)

My list is pretty much the same for road or MTB. Some of it is MTB specific, but I'd lose it if I took it out of the bag.

In the pack:
- 100oz Camelback bladder
- CO2 (a couple)
- Mini pump for when the group gets more flats then we have CO2 (it's happened on long MTB rides)
- Folding tool with all the hex wrenches I need plus a chain tool
- Imitation Leatherman
- Tire levers
- Surly 15mm wrench/bottle opener (most important)
- a few zip ties
- Tube or two depending on circumstances
- Patch Kit and tire boot
- Spare derailleur hanger
- Small first aid kit including Ibuprofen, assorted Band Aides, some gauze, fish net type bandage for holding gauze on road rash, cleansing wipes, burn cream, first aide antibiotic cream, small mirror for getting sheot out of my eyes, emergency blanket, waterproof strike anywhere matches (I've had to use it all except the matches)
- Depending on the weather/time of year, a light weight rain jacket, leg and arm warmers, spare gloves and a light weight beanie that fits under my helmet. In winter the clothes are on at the beginning of the ride, but I still carry spare gloves and a couple of those little chemical hand warmers, I have circulation problems in one hand so it gets cold easy.
- Food depends on length of ride and availability of rest stops, plus a couple extra gu's and a cliff bar more then I think I'll need. Running out of food because the ride guide underestimates ride time by a few hours sucks.

I'll carry at least one bottle on the bike, usually with Gatorade.

Like I said, this is for unsupported, but I don't like to rely on SAG for maintenance so the only changes on supported rides are the amount of food and water I carry.

For tools and first aid, only carry what you know how to use. If you don't know how to use a chain tool, why carry the weight?

As for socks, if I could afford enough smart wool and wool cycling socks, I'd never wear cotton again, even casually. I can't stand cotton socks.
2008-02-08 12:30 AM

Pro
Irvine, California

Thanks for your list, Dave.  By zip-ties, do you mean cable ties?  And if so, what would you use them for?  Also, what is a tire boot?

I also have a question about tire levers.  I have a set of 3 that I got a long time ago for my mountain bike, and they seem kind of thick.  Will those work for my road bike, or should I get some different ones?

2008-02-08 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1200433

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Yep, cable ties. What can't you use them for? We've used them to piece together trashed rear derailleurs, hold slippery grips on, I had one friend who used a few in place of the shock mount bolt that broke in order to limp back to the car.

Thick tire levers are fine. Road tires are even harder then MTB tires to get on and off the rim, thin levers would be useless. Do avoid metal levers though, they just reek havoc on rims and pinch tubes easily if you use them to reinstall the tire. You should do you utmost to avoid using levers to reinstall the tires, it's not easy, but if is very easy to pinch a hole in the new tube if you are not careful.

A tire boot is like an extra think patch, it is adhesive backed, I think it is vinyl. You use it if you get a cut in the tire, to patch the tire. You can also use a couple dollars folded up between the tube and tire if need be.

I forgot I also have about 12 inches of duct tape wrapped around the handle of my mini pump.

Like I said, I'm a be prepared type of person that has a real issue with over packing.

In a typical race, it would be tire levers, co2 and a tube. maybe my multi tool. If I have issues that can't be solved with that stuff, the race is over.

Edited by graceful_dave 2008-02-08 8:10 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Century/Half-Century: What to bring along? Rss Feed