General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When Did You Become a Triathlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-02-07 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1198400

New user

Subject: RE: When Did You Become a Triathlete?
I'm hoping May 18th in Columbia, MD

2008-02-07 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1198892

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
tkbslc - 2008-02-07 9:48 AM
sesh - 2008-02-07 7:45 AM

doubleplay - 2008-02-07 8:40 AM Does it really matter???? Anybody can finish a triathlon race and can call themselves a triathlete. There are races out there with 200 meter pool swim and a very short bike and run. It is not a big deal.

I beg to differ.

Nah, as I understand it, this site is pretty much created with the premise that anyone can finish a triathlon.  I agree, pretty much anyone CAN finish a tri.  Do they?  No.   Almost anyone could get a doctorate if they put in the long hours, but most don't.  That the difference.  

I will agree that the label is pretty much irrelevant.  There will always be someone faster or more "hardcore" than you.  If there isn't, then wait a few weeks.   Just do your thing and stop worrying about what people call you and what to call yourself.   Don't worry if you "qualify" to be called a triathlete.  

It just sounded so flippant.  Like anybody in the world could wake up one Saturday morning, walk outside, and do a tri.

2008-02-07 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

I certainly hope someone who is just training for a Marathon, but has never completed one, does not call themselves a Marathoner.

Just the same, Triathlete is not a generic term. I agree with the above post that you have to embrace the lifestyle, train hard, give back, help others.. anything less, then you can call yourself whatever you want, but I won't call you a Triathlete.

2008-02-07 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1198922

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
sesh - 2008-02-07 9:58 AM
tkbslc - 2008-02-07 9:48 AM
sesh - 2008-02-07 7:45 AM
doubleplay - 2008-02-07 8:40 AM Does it really matter???? Anybody can finish a triathlon race and can call themselves a triathlete. There are races out there with 200 meter pool swim and a very short bike and run. It is not a big deal.

I beg to differ.

Nah, as I understand it, this site is pretty much created with the premise that anyone can finish a triathlon.  I agree, pretty much anyone CAN finish a tri.  Do they?  No.   Almost anyone could get a doctorate if they put in the long hours, but most don't.  That the difference.  

I will agree that the label is pretty much irrelevant.  There will always be someone faster or more "hardcore" than you.  If there isn't, then wait a few weeks.   Just do your thing and stop worrying about what people call you and what to call yourself.   Don't worry if you "qualify" to be called a triathlete.

It just sounded so flippant.  Like anybody in the world could wake up one Saturday morning, walk outside, and do a tri.

Flippant? He didn't say "anybody in the world could wake up one Saturday morning,, walk outside, and do a tri," you did. But, yeah, there are a lot of people in reasonable physical condition who can and do that, especially a short one as described by doubleplay.

His statement was "pretty much anyone CAN finish a tri." How can you argue with that? Anyone without debilitating physical infirmities, the right mindset, and a modicum of training CAN finish a triathlon. It's not the big deal some would have you believe. And that is exactly the premise on which this site was established.

2008-02-07 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Concord, CA

The moment I crossed the finish line on my 1st tri, I felt like a triathlete...A feeling that training alone can not give you...until you cross that finish line...

2008-02-07 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1198974

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
the bear - 2008-02-07 10:27 AM [

Flippant? He didn't say "anybody in the world could wake up one Saturday morning,, walk outside, and do a tri," you did. But, yeah, there are a lot of people in reasonable physical condition who can and do that, especially a short one as described by doubleplay.

His statement was "pretty much anyone CAN finish a tri." How can you argue with that? Anyone without debilitating physical infirmities, the right mindset, and a modicum of training CAN finish a triathlon. It's not the big deal some would have you believe. And that is exactly the premise on which this site was established.

Because he also said it was no big deal, and his sig quote says finishing a tri is over rated.  That's how I took it as flippantly.  I don't find it over rated at all.  I found crossing the finish line at my first tri to be one of the greatest feelings of my life.  I had to change my mindset, change my lifestyle, even change some friends.  It was a huge deal.  Yeah, I'm proof that anyone can do it, but I'd like to also think I'm proof that it's much more than "no big deal."

If he didn't mean it that way, then I just misunderstood him.

And I think we're thinking of "big deal" differently.  This site is to get people in the mindset that a tri is doable.  It's beatable, and we're here to help.  It's no big deal in the sense that it shouldn't frighten you to try it.  I'm thinking "big deal" in the sense that it turned my life around.

Edited by sesh 2008-02-07 10:38 AM

2008-02-07 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1198991

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
sesh - 2008-02-07 10:35 AM

Because he also said it was no big deal, and his sig quote says finishing a tri is over rated.  That's how I took it as flippantly.  I don't find it over rated at all.  I found crossing the finish line at my first tri to be one of the greatest feelings of my life.  I had to change my mindset, change my lifestyle, even change some friends.  It was a huge deal.  Yeah, I'm proof that anyone can do it, but I'd like to also think I'm proof that it's much more than "no big deal."

And I think we're thinking of "big deal" differently.  This site is to get people in the mindset that a tri is doable.  It's beatable, and we're here to help.  It's no big deal in the sense that it shouldn't frighten you to try it.  I'm thinking "big deal" in the sense that it turned my life around.

Just because you did all that to complete a triathlon doesn't mean that you had to do all that. You could have, as many have done, accomplished a finish of a short triathlon without such a severe lifestyle change. Without making it such a "big deal."

2008-02-07 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1199033

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
the bear - 2008-02-07 10:48 AM
sesh - 2008-02-07 10:35 AM

Just because you did all that to complete a triathlon doesn't mean that you had to do all that. You could have, as many have done, accomplished a finish of a short triathlon without such a severe lifestyle change. Without making it such a "big deal."

I.e. my roadie bro in law who just about drowned in the swim for his first and only tri.  He did finish but is happy not being a triathlete and being a roadie instead.

Edited by jszat 2008-02-07 10:52 AM
2008-02-07 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
This is my second triathlon season, and I have 3 races under my belt (2 sprints and an Oly, and doing the same this year) ... however I'm hesitant to tell people I'm a triathlete, I generally find myself saying "I do triathlons", or "I'm training for triathlon season" ... I'm also a student, a nutritionist, an auntie, a yogi, and so on ... although triathlon defines my lifestyle, I don't think it is the one thing that defines me ... if that makes any sense at all.

But I do agree with the poster that stated it IS a big deal - it is for me, anyway. I lost over 40 pounds, changed my lifestyle, and went from being a couch potato to, well, to a triathlete. ;-)
2008-02-07 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1199033

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Actually, I couldn't.  I needed a 180.  Though I understand what you're saying.

And for the record, since I never said so.  If you train (no matter how much of a change in your life it is), get to the starting line, and put in all you have, then I'll call you a triathlete. 

2008-02-07 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1199059

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
sesh - 2008-02-07 10:54 AM

And no doubt your change in lifestyle was a "big deal." But finishing the triathlon was only a small part of that, and within the big picture not that big a deal at all.

And for the record, since I never said so.  If you train (no matter how much of a change in your life it is), get to the starting line, and put in all you have, then I'll call you a triathlete. 

Again, not everyone who completes a triathlon does all that (train and puts in all they have). Therefore, finishing a triathlon (not a big deal Cool) in itself does not make one a triathlete.

2008-02-07 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1199085

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
the bear - 2008-02-07 11:04 AM
sesh - 2008-02-07 10:54 AM

And no doubt your change in lifestyle was a "big deal." But finishing the triathlon was only a small part of that, and within the big picture not that big a deal at all.

Again, not everyone who completes a triathlon does all that (train and puts in all they have). Therefore, finishing a triathlon (not a big deal Cool) in itself does not make one a triathlete.

In summation:

It's all about how you think and feel about yourself.

Apply to all areas of life as needed

2008-02-07 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
The term "athlete" (or tri-athlete) never seemed to fit me.   I  don't have an athlete's physique and I don't have any natural athletic giftings or talent.  When it comes to athletics, I was born in the shallow end of the gene pool!  I have done 9 triathlons including an IM and 5 marathons but I don't think I will ever label myself as an athlete (or triathlete).  I'm simply a guy who likes to run and bike and swim and occasionaly does all three with a bunch of other people in an organized event.
~Mike
2008-02-07 12:04 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
When my orthopedist called me one...
2008-02-07 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1198950

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
atl_runner - 2008-02-07 10:12 AM

I certainly hope someone who is just training for a Marathon, but has never completed one, does not call themselves a Marathoner.

Just the same, Triathlete is not a generic term. I agree with the above post that you have to embrace the lifestyle, train hard, give back, help others.. anything less, then you can call yourself whatever you want, but I won't call you a Triathlete.

Guess it's a good thing I've not stepped over the line and called myself a "triathlete."

2008-02-07 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1199272

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
Geez, I might not be a triathlete...seems like a high standard. Like others, I considered myself a triathlete after I finished my first one and I looked to my wife despite cramping and bonking and said "i have to do that again!" That's just my take. I have spent my entire life being invovled in sports (for two years professionally), and my main identity is father, husband, and athlete. I always modify my "triathlete" status by saying I'm a novice, sprint/oly, slow triathlete, but that's just me. I can say I've had a class podium...so now I think I should call myself a "Podium Level Triathlete."

My wife and I embrace sports, but not just triathlons. I love this site and the community, but at times the arrogance of people on here is overwhelming. Call yourself a triathlete when you feel like it has become part of you...its up to you when that happens.

2008-02-07 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York, NY
i don't say i'm a "triathlete." I say "I do triathlons." I can say "triathlons" as a plural because I've done exactly TWO sprints (last summer)! (but i'm registered for 3 more this summer. wow. super plural!...triathlonssss).

When I was a dancer, I remember someone insulting another dancer in class by saying that she "thought of dancing as a noun instead of a verb". I took that to mean that it's what you do, not how well you pose in a tutu (or trisuit), or what you call yourself, that counts.

So, I don't actually consider myself much of an athlete at all, given my generally gimpy and beat up body. But, I have absolutely no problem "doing" triathlons. So i will probably continue to say it that way.
2008-02-07 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
My partner bought me a Triathlete sticker for my car and I refused to put it on until after I finished my first triathlon. I was rather disappointed with my results in this first race so I still didn't really think of myself as a triathlete until after my second (more satisfying) race.
2008-02-07 2:15 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

When I first looked at this post, I thought it was a silly question and not really significant what people want to call themselves.  But after reading, it became a lot more interesting and thought provoking.  I decided to put in my 0.02.

First, I don't call myself anything except "Jim" and husband.  MAYBE, an engineer, since I do that 8 hours a day for a living.

So I never call myself a triathlete to anyone else.  But when did I "feel" like a triathlete?

• The first event I signed up for, the swim got canceled, so it turned into a bike/run.  I couldn't even say I participated in a triathlon. 
  • After the next (and official) triathlon, I felt like someone that participated in a triathlon event.
  • After the season was almost over and before my first HIM.  I felt like someone that did a LOT of triathlons (maybe it was a short term obsession)
  • After the HIM, I felt more like a triathlete than ever, but still thought it may be a fluke/passing phase.
  • NOW I feel like a triathlete.  I made it through my short off-season and started my next plan, and I can feel my life has changed permenantly and it was not a brief phase.  Triathlon has become part of my everyday life, and I don't what I would do without it. 

To me, to "be" something (if there is such a thing), means that it should be a significant part of your life i.e. being a husband/wife/father/mother/occupation etc.  Now that triathlon is a huge part of my life, and it's not going anywhere soon, I would call myself a triathlete.

2008-02-07 2:19 PM

Right after I finished my first one and KNEW that I wanted more.

And when I decided to buy a new tri bike...
and new moisture wicking running gear...
and prescription goggles...
and I decided that I'd wake up 6:30 in the morning to go swimming or biking...
and when training began to take up more than 10 hours a week...
and when I look at the people around me sitting on their lazy @55e5 playing video games and shake my head...
and when it began to take over my life so much to a point where it threatened my relationship with my gf... and my job...
and the list goes on and on...

Edited by ninecrushes 2008-02-07 2:25 PM
2008-02-07 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1198507

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Shermbelle - 2008-02-07 5:22 AM

after my first HIM I started to feel like one

x2

2008-02-07 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
When I played soccer, basketball, and baseball in high school. ;-)
Oh, and I skied too, so I guess I was a quadathlete.

But seriously, if one trains consistently in all three disciplines (whether one races or not) aren't they a triathlete? Is there some magical time limit? I know a woman who runs marathon distance long runs on the weekends, yet has NEVER competed in a race. Trust me, she's a marathoner!

I'm not big into nomenclature, so if you feel like one, most likely you are.
2008-02-07 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
I usually refer to myself as a "multisport enthusiast."
2008-02-07 8:12 PM

Veteran
South Jersey
Still working on that. I usually say, I "used" to be a swimmer or I did a few triathlons last summer.

I have my 1st OLY on June 22nd...maybe I will call myself a triathlete after that. Maybe I will never call myself a triathlete because I am doing it because it is fun and has great health benefits.
2008-02-07 8:41 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think I've ever called myself one, but if other people do, I don't correct them.

I've participated in a lot of sports, but I've never found one where people constantly debate their "status" as much as people do in this sport. "Are you an Ironman if you've never done Kona"? Or "what if you've only done 140.6, but not an actual "ironman"-branded race? Are you an Ironman then?" "Are you a 'triathlete' if you've only done indoor triathlons"? "What if you've only done a sprint?"

I used to box, for example, and the general consensus at my gym was, "If you get in the ring with another person and hit each other, you're a boxer." Do basketball players, golfers, surfers, and snowboarders have these debates with each other?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, I just think that it's interesting how often this debate or some version of it comes up with respect to triathlon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When Did You Become a Triathlete? Rss Feed  

of 4