General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When Did You Become a Triathlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-02-07 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1198400

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Subject: RE: When Did You Become a Triathlete?
While out for dinner with the parents and their friends, one of them asked if I was a runner (because I was wearing a race t-shirt).  I had never called myself a runner, so I stammered a little and about the time I started to say "no", the parents and husband all answered "Yes" for me.  It was cool.  I was going to say "no" because I am not fast, but in their eyes, there is no question that I AM a runner/swimmer/triathlete/cyclist-want-to-be.

2008-02-07 9:37 PM

Williamsburg VA
Wow, some pretty cool responses. Just to clarify my stance, my original post was generated out of sheer curiosity. I agree with the posts that argue that their is no real significance in the label. I also meant no disrespect to those triathletes that feel that they earned their stripes with their very first race. My hesitance in claiming the "label" is out of respect for the sport and the athletes that are truly good at it. The more I become immersed in the sport the more admiration I have for the 9 hour ironman and the 2 hour olympic racer. These guys and gals are incredible and I tip my hat to them. Therefore, I will still refrain from referring to myself as a triathlete until I feel I have earned it. I don't know when that will be, but I'll enjoy the training until then.
2008-02-07 10:16 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I would say I started considering myself a triathlete once triathlons became my favorite races. In my first couple years, I did several triathlons but my focus and goals were based on Marathons and other running races. In my third year, those goals had shifted from stand alone running goals to triathlon goals (First HIM, Progress towards an IM, break 1:20 at Brigantine, etc). At that point, my triathlon obsesion truely kicked in and I started considering myself a triathlete. (and I joined BT)

But the day, Mike Riley proclaimed "You are an Ironman" was when I actually stopped feeling strange/embarsed when others refered to me as a triathete.
2008-02-07 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1200372

User image

Expert
Montana
I hesitate to call myself a triathlete. I've finished two sprints, but I had to walk during the run portion. I've always been so disappointed in that. I know I'll be more comfortable using the term after I finish a sprint without walking.

There is a certain snobbery with those who don't consider a sprint distance a 'real' triathlon. That makes me embarassed, but I'm getting over it. If you do distances longer than I do, please respect me for the effort I do put in. The general public 'could', but the vast majority don't.
2008-02-07 11:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Ridgewood, NJ
When I screwed up the nerve to jump into the Husdon river and never looked back.
2008-02-08 3:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK

The dictionary says that a triathlete is one that competes in a triathlon.

I haven't yet, so I don't call myself one. However, when I finish the first one (when, not if) and decided to do the second one, I will feel comfortable with the term triathlete, although I don't tend to label myself like that.  

I think it's down to accomplishment and intent. Having done one and intending to do another, makes you a triathlete. Even if you can't do them anymore, do to some tragedy, having done one makes you a triathlete forever.

A sprint triathlon may be nothing to some of you, but it's  big deal to me. 

2008-02-08 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1200458

User image

Sensei
Sin City

For some of the recent posts....

I can't recall anyone on BT ever saying a sprint triathlon not being "real" or disrespect those who do them.  There might be the individual or two that who dismiss them as "beginner" races and focus on the longer events - but I don't think anyone here would not consider a sprint a "real" triathlon.

The conversation is when someone feels they can personally call themselves a triathlete.  That is unique to everyone.  Someone may NEVER want to use that label.  Others may feel like they have to finish at Kona.  While others yet, think that the first workout they did with a triathlon in mind makes them a triathlete.

Just because someone else's standards are different than mine, has no bearing to me.  You "know" when you are a triathlete.  If you even have to ask others when you qualify to be a triathlete - then you are not.  Obviously, you don't feel like you are if you have to ask (even if eveyone areound you thinks you qualify - you don't think so yourself)

I also think that "being" a triathlete is a fluid kind of thing.  Someone may think they are a triathlete after the first race.  A season later, they may think "I really didn't know what I was doing/thinking back then - NOW I'm a triathlete).  They may finish an HIM or IM the next year, and think, "I thought I was a triathlete - but now that I did an IM, I KNOW I am a triathlete".  While others my never waiver from their original thoughts.

Nothing is right or wrong in this matter - it's just opinion.....

2008-02-08 12:04 PM
in reply to: #1200966

Aikidoman - 2008-02-08 8:01 AM

You "know" when you are a triathlete.  If you even have to ask others when you qualify to be a triathlete - then you are not.  Obviously, you don't feel like you are if you have to ask (even if eveyone areound you thinks you qualify - you don't think so yourself)

x2 - COULDN'T AGREE MORE

Someone may think they are a triathlete after the first race. A season later, they may think "I really didn't know what I was doing/thinking back then - NOW I'm a triathlete). They may finish an HIM or IM the next year, and think, "I thought I was a triathlete - but now that I did an IM, I KNOW I am a triathlete". While others my never waiver from their original thoughts.

Nothing is right or wrong in this matter - it's just opinion.....

I think there are certain levels of triathletes that easily apply to everyone here. Just add the applicable label. There are the "recreational" triathletes that do it just for fun, and there's the "competitive" triathletes. And then of course you have the REALLY serious PRO/elite triathletes. I'm sure there are plenty more labels one could apply. But it seems that the generic "triathlete" label and definition people are using here in this thread is more of the serious, age grouper, competitive definition. As we grow more and develop our skills more, and as our passion tends to grow deeper, we might ascend to another level (and perhaps change labels). That's why after a HIM when one thinks about the prior season and how naive/unfamiliar they were, one might think that they weren't a "triathlete" yet, when in fact they were, but just one that didn't know any better, and at a much lower level (I fall into this group). Anyway, just my 0.02 of philosophy.
2008-02-08 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1200147

User image

Champion
Butler
ljrogers1104 - 2008-02-07 6:40 PM When I played soccer, basketball, and baseball in high school. ;-) Oh, and I skied too, so I guess I was a quadathlete. But seriously, if one trains consistently in all three disciplines (whether one races or not) aren't they a triathlete? Is there some magical time limit? I know a woman who runs marathon distance long runs on the weekends, yet has NEVER competed in a race. Trust me, she's a marathoner! I'm not big into nomenclature, so if you feel like one, most likely you are.
My thoughts exactly.  Some people don't want to race but train all three sports.  No I would not say that because you walk you dog, ride your bike with the kids and swim in the lazy river on the weekend you are a triathlete (like the jog vs run discussions). 
2008-02-08 4:24 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
So much of this is really spurred by the inclusion of "-athlete" in the term. If I asked the average person I see running where I do on a regular basis if s/he is a "runner," I suspect the incidence of "yes" responses would be higher than if I asked if that person considered him/herself a "track athlete." This has been touched on early in the thread (IIRC) in the difference individuals might see/feel betw. "triathlon participant" and "triathlete."

Ultimately, as others have said, it is a self-image issue...call yourself whatever you feel comfortable with.

(Mildly relevant digression: I'm always put in mind, in these discussions, of the housewife and amateur community theatre performer who used to serve on the board of a professional theatre I used to work for. Where each board member listed his or her profession, she listed "actress"...even though she only occasionally performed at that point and had never been paid. She can call herself whatever she wants...and she certainly had gotten up on stage many times in amateur productions...but that doesn't mean it didn't seem presumptuous in a context where there _were_ professional actors involved...to say nothing of her listing herself as an "actress" in a roster where all the other board members were listing professional/corporate titles that described jobs they did that reflected a high degree of education and achievement. In other words, her self-image/self-definition didn't line up with how others saw her...and as long as that didn't bother her, she could go right on self-defining that way. In the context of triathlon, though, where there are few pros, this sort of sensitivity is not so relevant, I'd say.)

Edited by tcovert 2008-02-08 4:25 PM
2008-02-08 8:28 PM

User image

Montgomery, AL
I like the term because of brevity. Most sports have concise verbs that sum up what you're doing (playing tennis, golfing, running, etc.) but the triathlon throws a wrench in creating a simple term. So would you rather say you enjoy triathloning? Are you a triathloner, or do you play triathlon on the weekends?

I say if you've done one, call yourself a triathlete. It's a succinct description.

My 2 cents...

2008-02-08 11:12 PM

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"
The day I finished my first. It doesn't matter what the distance is. If you train and participate in 3 events you are a triathlete not matter if you're a Clydesdale like myself, person that weighs 130 pounds, or where you finish in the pack.

2008-07-22 3:27 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Archive diving...

I called myself a triathlete when I signed up for my first race. Due to my personality, that was pretty dang close to finishing, as I finish what I start. I wasn't gonna bust my a$$ for many, many hours a day/week, rebuild parts of my musculature, and kill my backside on my saddle and NOT be called a triathlete. To me, competition is icing. It is not the end, but just another event along the road. Generally, in all the competing I've done in all manner of sports, I find the actual competition is easier, less taxing, and more fun than all the work I put into it. The works earns the title. Thus the training made me a triathlete.

Interestingly enough, I've decided to lay off tris, so I no longer call myself a triathlete. I'm not putting in the work, I don't get the title. Once I get my stupid training back on schedule, I hope to work hard enough to earn the title of runner.

But, even though I haven't been on the back of a horse in a year, I am still an eventer. Eventually, you put so much blood, sweat, tears, time, and money into a sport that you get to claim the title permanently. Same for fencing: I'm still a fencer, though I debate whether I'm an epeeist or sabrist, as I've split between the two so often.
2008-07-22 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Computerland
I still don't consider myself a triathlete (even though I finished 4 triathlons). I am more comfortable referring to myself as a "person who does triathlons".

I feel this way because I am really slow and my times are really, really pathetic. I just don't really think of myself as an athlete- I still think of myself as someone who gets picked last in gym.

Also, if I had to call myself any sort of athlete, it would have to be a swimmer. I am on the swim team and participate in swim meets WAY more than I participate in triathlons. Compare the 4 triathlons I have finished to the almost 50 swim meets I have done. Get the point?

Not to say that I don't love triathlons and enjoy evey moment of doing one! I just don't consider myself a triathlete.

Edited by amyro1234 2008-07-22 7:01 AM
2008-07-22 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

I figure the day you finish your first, you're a triathlete.  No matter skill level, placement, comfort, etc. 

Now if I decided it was my life goal to just do it once, complete that, and then never do one again, I don't know that I could continue to call myself a "triathlete."  I know a lot of people that have done a marathon once, like with TnT, but they would never do it again and don't even consider themselves runners, let along marathoners.  So maybe it's more accurate to say you're a triathlete if you follow the lifestyle and continue to do them for any period(s) of time throughout your life.... (?

2008-07-22 7:40 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-07-22 7:55 AM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

I'm not going to even read all the debating and mumbo jumbo here--just gonna answer the question:

I considered myself a triathlete the moment I finished my 1st Sprint and started training for my next race.  "Being a triathlete" has become a way of life for me...it includes my training, my racing (be it tri's or running or bike rallies or whatever I'm doing--ultimately it links to tri's), my eating, my time management, my cash management, my outlook...etc. I truly hope to be one of those Grand Master competitors someday.  This is just my first year of it, and it's not just about being "hooked" for me, it's about how I live now.  I am a Triathlete.

2008-07-22 7:57 AM
in reply to: #1548075

Master
Hingham, Ma
TexasMPGal - 2008-07-22 8:55 AM

I'm not going to even read all the debating and mumbo jumbo here--just gonna answer the question:

I considered myself a triathlete the moment I finished my 1st Sprint and started training for my next race.  "Being a triathlete" has become a way of life for me...it includes my training, my racing (be it tri's or running or bike rallies or whatever I'm doing--ultimately it links to tri's), my eating, my time management, my cash management, my outlook...etc. I truly hope to be one of those Grand Master competitors someday.  This is just my first year of it, and it's not just about being "hooked" for me, it's about how I live now.  I am a Triathlete.

x2.  I couldn't have said it better myself.

2008-07-22 12:27 PM

Champion
Calgary
I love this question. Really what is being asked is to define triathlete. Once you define the term it is a simple matter of finding when you lived up to that definition. It is clear it means different things to different people and because of that whether I fit some elses definition or they fit mine most likely does not matter at all to either you or me. I think the problem is that the definition of triathlete, to most people here, is closer to a set of beliefs and actions that stem from those beliefs rather than a simple "if you do X you are a triathlete" statement.

Interstenly enough I know recreational mountain bikers, hockey players, soccer players, etc who do not call themselves mountain bikers, hockey players, soccer players, what they say is that "they mountain bike/play hockey/ play soccer".

I do not call myself a triathlete and would never expect someone to call me one, that being said, I am open to the possibility that I may be one.

I love this question.
2008-07-22 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1548075

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
TexasMPGal - 2008-07-21 8:55 PM

I considered myself a triathlete the moment I finished my 1st Sprint and started training for my next race. "Being a triathlete" has become a way of life for me...it includes my training, my racing (be it tri's or running or bike rallies or whatever I'm doing--ultimately it links to tri's), my eating, my time management, my cash management, my outlook...etc. I truly hope to be one of those Grand Master competitors someday. This is just my first year of it, and it's not just about being "hooked" for me, it's about how I live now. I am a Triathlete.

ditto
x2
what she said
2008-07-22 2:30 PM

I have finished two sprints, three olympics, and two duathlons, but I do not refer to myself as a triathlete in conversation, but rather typically say "I do triathlons." I think it's because there's this guy around here who always introduces himself thus "I'm [name withheld]. I'm a triathlete." It sounds so egomaniacal when he says it! I probably wouldn't introduce myself as a triathlete unless I was getting paid for it, but I do consider myself one.

I am always intrigued by the posts that say you have to "train hard" and live the triathlete lifestyle passionately.... the whole "go hard or go home" mentality. I don't really agree with that. What does "train hard" mean? Spending all your free time exercising? Traveling far and wide to events and reading every book ever written on training? Any one of us could always do more, I suppose. However, triathlon is not my only interest. I don't really care about winning my age group. I'm fine to just try to improve each time. So does that mean I am not truly a triathlete? It reminds me of a run vs. jog thread awhile back. Some said that running with ipod, stoller, etc. makes you a jogger (with the label's implied lame-ness), but I say if you cover the distance with a running gait, you're a runner. I'd just as soon dispense with all the elitist labeling.

2008-07-23 5:41 AM
in reply to: #1549700

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
cpfint - 2008-07-22 3:30 PM

What does "train hard" mean?

I guess that's what it comes down to: what does X mean to each individual. I am 100% sure that I could have done my tri with zero (extra) training. I am about 95% sure that I could finish an Oly right now. Same for a marathon. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't DFL a 10K or DNF an HIM.

What matters is how tris fit in to the rest of my life. I committed to the tri life. Does that look the same as an IM or IM-in-training? No, but that doesn't mean the relative sacrifices aren't still life-altering for me.

I think becoming a triathlete is a wholly personal decision, as others have pointed out. Finishing a tri may or may not be important to you, so it may or may not factor in to your equation. I was not a fundamentally different person at noon on July 5th than I was at 9 am on July 5th. However, my body and my life were fundamentally different on July 4th (one day before my tri) than they were on April 28th when I clicked enter.
2008-07-23 12:32 PM

Regular
We were going to the outdoor pool at the Y just to hang out and my 11 year old son told his "girlfriend" that I might swim some laps since I was a triathlete. It sounded cool hearing it from someone else. I felt kinda proud. He asked me later if I was ever going to really compete (win or place). I was quickly brought down to earth. Kids have a way of doing that sometimes.
2008-07-23 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1551235

I agree with you Slugger. The measure of an athlete is not always results. An individual's achievements should not be belittled if they prefer to merely finish sprint distance races. If training for or entering a race made you change your life and get healthier, then by golly, call yourself a triathlete!
2008-07-23 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1553013

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
I kinda considered myself a triathlete when I started training for my first triathlon, but I did wait until after I completed it before putting the USAT bumper sticker on my car
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When Did You Become a Triathlete? Rss Feed  

of 4