General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ? for Parents- kid friendly events in TX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-08 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Subject: ? for Parents- kid friendly events in TX

I know that triathlons are not meant to be "family fun" events, as they are races, but I noticed as I am trying to schedule my events for this season, I have seen blurbs about opening pools after a swim for the family...or fun events for the whole family.... I have three young kids (7,5, and 10 months).  I don't plan on every triathlon being a "family" event, but they do enjoy coming and watching.  I was wondering if any of could tell me what events had other activities for kids...or maybe were at kid friendly locations (that had some playgrounds, etc.)  I prefer to stay closer to where I am (east TX) which usually means the Dallas/Ft. Worth area for most races. 

Thanks.

2008-02-08 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1200937

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: ? for Parents- kid friendly events in TX
I believe the Stonebridge Ranch Tri in September opens the pool for kids.  Also, Dallas Athletes puts on a kids tri in October for 4-12yr olds.
2008-02-08 2:55 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Lonestar at the end of March and Hi-Fi in October are both at Moody Gardens. I haven't done either of them yet, but they certainly seem like very family friendly locations. Check endorfunsports.com for the links.

Edit: It's in Galveston, if you didn't already know.

Edited by dgunthert 2008-02-08 2:56 PM
2008-02-08 4:13 PM

Regular
Lone Star and Hi-Fi Tri will be VERY family-friendly and kid-friendly.

Moody Gardens is a GREAT place for kids. Schlitterbahn is right next door as well.
There will be a kids camp, Popcorn and a Movie Saturday evening for kids (and arts/crafts), Kids Fun Run, etc.
Friday evening, Dinner with Simon Lessing at the Poolside Terrace. Kids can play in the beautiful pool while you eat.

Saturday evening, a Carbo Load Luau on Palm Beach, where the kids can play on the beach...

$19 Moody Gardens passes too, which get you into all of the attractions....

I can't imagine an area more family friendly....
2008-02-08 8:19 PM

Master

I found that my kids/family loved Jack's Generic Tri in New Braunfels... not quite east.  While they didn't have much to do, the lake was open for swimming after the swim waves had finished, and as it was a short race, there was always something to watch.

2008-02-27 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1202368

User image

College Station Texas
Our whole family, plus one family friend, is participating in the PlayTri event in Las Colinas. They have events for kids as young as 7 and the hotel we are staying at is right next to the race course. It looks like they went out of their way to make it a day for everyone!!

2008-02-27 4:57 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

My family had a great time last year at Lonestar. My kids were going to run in the fun run til it got rained out. This year my 12 year old and I are racing - my wife, 10 year old and 8 year old will be cheering.

The Stephanie Johnson Tri For Life is on Sept 7 in North West Houston (just S of the Woodlands). We will have a kids race that your 7 yr old could do (our youngest last year was 6), plus there's a playground and we'll have the pool all day (kiddie pool too). The adult race is a super sprint so very fast. Registration opens on March 1. Plus all of the proceeds go to cancer research and cancer family support (through support groups and direct help to families in the fight) so a great cause too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ? for Parents- kid friendly events in TX Rss Feed