Hartford Marathon Foundation
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 37s
Overall Rank = 112/253
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 30/54
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, made a peanut butter bagel and stuffed it into a sack with a banana and Diet Coke (my fav breakfast!) and headed out the door. I had packed the car the night before so I was certain I had everything I needed.
Event warmup:

Boy, was it COLD. I didn't want to take off my clothes to go down to the water.......brrrr.

Everyone was around and commenting on how crazy we all were. I got into the water to warm up 10 minutes before - water was MUCH nicer than land, and then had to get out again for a beach start (boy, I thought I had been cold before, but when they started doing speeches, I could've killed someone.
Swim
  • 16m 31s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

A good, solid swim. I drafted halfway back from a woman doing the breastroke (unintentional on my part, but once I started, it was hard to break away because she was going the same speed).
What would you do differently?:

Find open water
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was sure cold coming out of the water and trying to dry off. I've gotta toughen up or stop doing fall tri's!

Go faster......not sure how I did because they didn't keep track of transition time.
Bike
  • 42m 21s
  • 10 miles
  • 14.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Biking is my worst category. I'll find any excuse not to do it, and this year I focused on my swim because I just learned how to in March. I also had a heck of a time with a runny nose - it was totally disgusting. It must have been a combination of lake water and being cold....

More time in the saddle - bring Kleenex!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

A good transition, overall. Wish I had some Kleenex handy though. I brought an extra towel and that suited the purpose.

nothing
Run
  • 29m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I've never run a harder 5k, and I've done quite a few. Not because the course was so tough - but between my nose running (I've never seen so much disgusting stuff in my life) and the hills I was nowhere near prepared for (all running previously on the flat to keep my piriformis from acting up) lead to an acutely hard run for me. It sucked, plain and simple. I passed quite a few people though, so it wasn't totally bad :0)

Train for it properly - no one to blame but myself for that. And as far as the nose goes, use nasal allergy spray when exiting the water, that might help.
Post race
Warm down:

GREAT after race party........free amstel light, food, etc. Had a good time!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself. Dumbo didn't train hard enough and paid for it. I tried hard, but it doesn't help when you're not ready.

Event comments:

Will do this again (unless it's as cold as it was!) It was the first year they put it on, so minor glitches, but nothing bad.

Last updated: 2008-02-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:31 | 880 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/54
Overall: 111/253
Performance: Average
Went slow today - I think because I slacked off in my training during the end of the season. Felt good, but it took a few minutes to warm up after being so cold.
Suit: No
Course: Out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:21 | 10 miles | 14.17 mile/hr
Overall: 0/253
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Big loop - race was supposed to be 12 miles, but shortened to 10 because of road construction.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:47 | 03.11 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 64/253
Performance: Below average
I hit a new high on my HR - 175! Holy crap when I looked at that......I usually average around 145-150 running.
Course: Loop on a trail, lots of dips and small hills. Roots, rocks, etc. The race was advertised as being flat - definitely not the case.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes