General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone try Michael Pate's 22-week sprint plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-08 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Subject: Anyone try Michael Pate's 22-week sprint plan?
Hey ... newbie here. I'm now in my fifth week of training for a May 31st sprint (400 swim, 20K bike, 5K run). I'm 5-8 and currently weigh about 261.3, give or take an ounce haha. In other words, I'm quite plump (though I've been plumper -- 371 at one point!)....

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anybody out there in Triland has given Mr. Pate's couch-to-sprint program a go? I look at where I'm at today and I've still got so far to go! It's overwhelming sometimes. I am encouraged at the progress I've been able to achieve so far. I guess I'm just curious if you think slowly adding time/speed/distance can get me from lazy couch potato to actually finishing a sprint triathlon in less than four months from now?

Maybe if you haven't done his training program but you have inspiration for me, that would be cool, too. Thanks!

2008-02-08 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1201716

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Anyone try Michael Pate's 22-week sprint plan?

I began my triathlon "career" as a plump would be triathlete in 2004 using Michael Pate's 20 week Sprint Triathlon plan.  I followed as closely as I could, building on it slowly and  was quite ready for my first ever sprint triathlon at the end of my training.  I have since followed the olympic program and half ironman program successfully and presume to work on my ironman training this season. 

Just stick to the plan, believe in yourself and you will get there.  Even if you "think" that you can do lots more than what is in the program, stick to the program!   Never add more than 10% per week to your weekly training output, which is what this program advocates.  You will be better off making slow progress rather than hurting yourself and making no progress at all because you are sidelined.

2008-02-08 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Concord, CA

I was inactive for some time, so I used this plan to get back into tris, so far it has worked great for me because I'm also on the heavy side and did not want to risk injury...just keep at it and you'll be fine...some times I do spinning classes instead of the "long" rides, just for the fun and variety....

2008-02-08 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia
I'm using it now to get ready for my first triathlon June 1st.  I also have some (okay maybe more than some) lbs to lose.  I like the way it starts off slowly with the walking then walk/jog  to build up.  I think it's very do-able program.  The distances it builds up to are farther than my sprint (and a lot of others from what I've seen) and my goal isn't to break any records, but to finish and have a great time and I think the program has gotten me on a good path to doing that.  I'd say check it out and see where it takes you.  Can't hurt!  Good luck!
2008-02-08 8:41 PM

Regular
Germantown, TN
If you have not read his book yet When Big Boys Tri I would highly recommend it.  Having started training for a tri, I could really relate to the book which made it a great read.
2008-02-08 11:32 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
If you prepare correctly you can totally do a sprint tri and Michael Pate's plan is a good one.  Go for it.

2008-02-09 9:14 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado

I'm your height and ran my first tri at a weight of 230. You could've timed me with a sundial but I finished. Started training at a weight of 245. So yes, it can be done. Bike and swim lots because these events are kind to the joints. Running is hell for us larger guys. Michael Pate's plan is a good one, but I think you can increase the amount of time spent swimming and biking than recommended on the plan. The running is just right, however. I highly, highly recommend reading up on the Pose method of running and/or Chi Running by Danny Dryer. These two techniques, which are almost identical really, saved my knees from exploding on the runs. Good luck.

Edited by MikeTheBear 2008-02-09 9:15 PM
2008-02-09 9:24 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
MikeTheBear - 2008-02-09 9:14 PM

I'm your height and ran my first tri at a weight of 230. You could've timed me with a sundial but I finished. Started training at a weight of 245. So yes, it can be done. Bike and swim lots because these events are kind to the joints. Running is hell for us larger guys. Michael Pate's plan is a good one, but I think you can increase the amount of time spent swimming and biking than recommended on the plan. The running is just right, however. I highly, highly recommend reading up on the Pose method of running and/or Chi Running by Danny Dryer. These two techniques, which are almost identical really, saved my knees from exploding on the runs. Good luck.

I would advise the opposite; OP avoid these running 'techniques' and focus on losing weight 1st. At your height/weight you could impose a lot of stress on your body and get hurt, so don't worry much about speed or anything like that. Just be consistent, eat healthy and manage your training load so you can make improvements slowly but surely. Endurance sports is something to plan around in the long term, not the short time and that's the number one mistake many do. In your case you should consider adding some resistance training to your plan before considering increasing your tri load too much. You can certainly use a sprint as your carrot but your main goal should be to turn your lifestyle around. Good luck. 

2013-03-04 4:16 PM

I am on week 13 right now and I LOVE this plan. 

I started as a total beginner. I wasn't particularly overweight but I was massively out of shape, and I hadn't swam (except for snorkeling - I live in Hawaii) since taking swim lessons when I was 5. I didn't even remember how to do a crawl stroke, and I felt like I was dying trying to run a mile.

I chose this plan because it coincided with the sprint tri I wanted to do and it was the only plan I could find that started the swimming at such low distances. The first time I tried to swim I couldn't even make it the 50 yards. Now I am running a 9 minute mile, I have done 2 10k's, and I'm swimming 750m and biking 15 miles. I feel a million times better and I've lost 8 pounds without even trying.

I kind of feel like a Michael Pate groupie -- I think he is a genius. This plan is great at pushing you to your limits and then allowing a little time to let you recuperate before the next push so that you don't get frustrated.

If you're interested, I've been writing about my experience training with this plan since day 1. My blog is www.ballerinasdontrun.blogspot.com. My latest entry is an Ode to Michael Pate lol!

Best of luck with your training! It's totally worth it! 
2013-03-04 7:02 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I used the 22 week plan to train for my first triathlon and at the time I was 265lbs and a big time couch potato. Finishing that first triathlon changed my life and I am so grateful for going through the long and hard process of getting in shape.  I found that the plan prepared me well for the race and I finished without hurting myself. I think that it is a great plan for beginners and you would benefit from it. Don't worry, training and getting into shape, like anything new you try, will be overwhelming at first but it will get easier and you will see improvements as long as you stick with it. Although by looking at your Avatar, it seems like you should have no problem finishing a sprint triathlon
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone try Michael Pate's 22-week sprint plan? Rss Feed