General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey Tri-Vets, please take a moment to inspire!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-08 6:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Subject: Hey Tri-Vets, please take a moment to inspire!!
I'll occasionally stumble across a post by someone who says, "I used to be soooo slow in the.....", etc etc........those tales of starting out, up off the couch, that those of us just getting started love to read. Sometimes it seems my S/B/R's are so slow I'll never get anywhere even though I know, somwhere out there, others have started the exact same way and are now fast!
I really enjoyed the spotlight interview with "New Leaf".

Please share your stories from humble beginnings to being everything you dreamed you could be. I know it takes time to write this stuff out, but I think it'll be a very popular thread and would be a great benefit to those of us who wonder, "Damn, am I ever gonna....(fill in the blank with tri goals)...??"

Thanks!

2008-02-08 6:29 PM
in reply to: #1202220

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-08 6:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Subject: RE: Hey Tri-Vets, please take a moment to inspire!!
Thanks JeepFleeb, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about!! Congrats on the great accomplishments and go grab your Kona slot! BTW, my wife is a Maniac, can't remember the number though....

Edited by Krakatoa 2008-02-08 6:34 PM
2008-02-08 7:41 PM

Master

Woo hoo!  Get that Kona slot!

So.  I was never athletic.  I used my bike as transportation, and have always loved doing that, but then between getting married and having kids, I got big, and quite unhealthy (5'7" 185lbs) and couldn't keep up with my kids, and was really missing  out on quite a bit of their lives.  After moving out of Florida, and away from a high stress job, we bought our first house.  After the initial greatness of it wore off, I realized, I was getting winded getting up the stairs, and that this had to change.  I decided to do the most drastic thing I could... I entered a Tri.  A sprint one for sure, but a Tri none the less.  Over the course of 3 months I came down from 189lbs to 155lbs, and not being able to make 100 yards in the pool, to finishing all 500 in 12 min, etc etc.

Now as I enter my second season, I've got 3 bikes, 1 pair running shoes, some tri shorts, and a few PR's (like todays infact 15.66mi @ 22mph avg on the bike).  And best of all, I'm down in the 140's, getting ever closer to my 135lbs goal.

2008-02-08 7:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
That's a great and inspirational story, TFB (I think you need to change your screen name now)! As one who needs to drop about 40 myself, I'm very impressed that you were able to lose that much in 3 months, and then keep going. Awesome job!
2008-02-08 7:55 PM
in reply to: #1202246

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

6'2" and 180 now? 

tri eating something.

When you get your Kona slot, please don't leave BT.  Your advice is great, JF.

CP2K

2008-02-08 7:56 PM
in reply to: #1202321

Master

Krakatoa - 2008-02-08 7:45 PM That's a great and inspirational story, TFB (I think you need to change your screen name now)! As one who needs to drop about 40 myself, I'm very impressed that you were able to lose that much in 3 months, and then keep going. Awesome job!

Couldn't have done it without a supportive SO.  She kept the diet on track, and the motivation going.  I've been considering a nic change, but then I lose the wonderful post count... Also, the domain name I've registered, etc etc...

2008-02-08 8:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Mine isn't about tri, haven't accomplished a ton there, but running. I was a swimming in through early college, then a fat beer drinker. I started running and lost a fair amount of weight but never took it seriously, the running I mean. Then I was working with a guy training for a marathon and thought I can do that. I did, poorly, 5:03 and not a clue what I was doing. But I kept plugging away, lost the rest of the weight, started running with people who were intimidating and faster (once a week, to force myself to work hard) and I qualified for Boston. I won my age group three years running in the local Freezeroo Winter Race series and took third in my age group for the Runner of the Year last year.

Certainly not Kona but stuff I'm pretty proud of, as my ex-husband used to say, I'm the least athletic athlete he's ever met.
2008-02-08 9:23 PM

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Let's see. It is 2004 and a friend and co-worker of mine asks me to do a triathlon. We work at a pool. Swimming - no problemo. Yeah, I'm about 30 pounds overweight, but I've been jogging. But I don't think I can bike 12.4 miles! So I get on my mountain bike and we train together. She loves cycling. Race comes and I did it. Finished 71st out of 84. But it was fun. Get a road bike for Christmas, start training for real. Win my age group at the same race in 2005. Want to tell my friend who was going through some marital problems and did not race that year. Found out she committed suicide that night. Did a slightly bigger sprint race May of 2005 that my friend DNF'd a couple of years before because the big hill at mile 3 on the bike course kicked her butt. Had a decent swim and hit the bike course with a vengeance. Had no legs for the run, but did get a top 10 bike split I believe thanks to my friend who gave me her bike prowess. Fast forward to last year, 2007. Did the tri that started it all for me back in 2004. Won 1st place Overall Female. Did my first half ironman last year, too. Did it in 5:27 and change. Had the second fastest bike split out of all the ladies.

Moral of story: Even if you lose what got you in to the sport originally, do not give up. Race cuz you love it. Race because you can.

Oh. And my weight when I started in 2004 was 174. I now weigh 145 and hope to get under 140 before race season starts this year. This is truly a wonderful sport that is lots of fun. I feel very lucky to have found it and will do anything in my power to encourage others. It's not how fast you arrive at the destination, it is the accomplishments during the journey!

Pam

Edited by barqhead 2008-02-08 9:23 PM
2008-02-08 10:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Not a "Vet" quite yet, but this time last year, a close friend asked me to enter the lifetime Triathlon... Oly distance... I weighed 272 at 6'4", a long way from being able to do much. I had never swam any distance in the pool and 25m left me gasping for air... my first mile took me 15 minutes...

I am now down to 235 (on my way to 205 by this years Lifetime), running 26 minute 5k's and swimming sub 10 minute 500's...

I just started a new training plan to get me to Silverman 1/2 in November where I hope to be in the 7:00 range!

2008-02-08 10:34 PM

Expert

My niece, Allie was five years old when what seemed to be a simple headache which failed to resolve. She was taken to the ER and had a Cat Scan which showed a massive brain tumor. She underwent surgery that night and we learned it was a Grade 4 Glioblastoma, unresectable.

Meanwhile that same night, another niece of mine, Alex was next patient in the same OR for brain surgery to try to cure her crippling epilepsy, or at least to minimize the frequency of her seizures, often 10-20 per day. At the time I was living in San Diego and flew in to be with them. I remember how helpless, sad, and pissed off I was at how unfair the world can be. There was a sense in me that I needed to do something to channel my energy. Thats when I decided I would do an Ironman, to raise awareness and funds for the now formed charity Allies Angels (a charity devoted to easing the pain and suffering of children dealing with cancer and other potentially fatal illness, and for the Michigan Epilepsy foundation.

In part to be symbolic of the magnitude (although an Ironman PALES!!! in comparison to what they went through) of their battle, I signed up for IM Wisconsin. I had never done a tri before, I could not swim more than 2 laps in the pool, and I only had a cheap mountain bike up to that point , and my longest bike ride had been 25 miles.

Allie died after a five month fight. She was incredibly brave but never was cut any breaks as any and all treatments failed. Alex struggled with more seizures. I trained as hard as I could and sometimes would almost come to tears when I would get up at 5 am to train, not sure what I was capable of doing, tremendous self doubts.

At 1016 pm in September 2003 I crossed the finish line at the IM event. It was a feeling I cannot convey to run past the cheering crowds, Mike Reily shouting "You are an Ironman!!!", and shaking hands at the finish with the pro's who hung around to cheer those in the back of the pack.

Four years later and four more Ironmans under my belt I continue to improve and continue to raise more money and awareness for these charities. Check out the Allie's Angels website, its pretty incredible. From giving emotional support to families, to giving something as simple as a Nintendo Gaming System to a child with only a few months to live (which could mean the world to a child!!), it's about making a difference that counts.

My last IM at Lake Placid 2007 I devoted it to my neice Alex, who by the way was seizure free for over a year at that time and on minimal medications, and just advanced up from the special education classes to be with her peers!

Having gone through the Ironman experience, I have learned much about myself and what I
can do to make a difference in my life and that of others. It is this same energy that keeps me training and using my accomplishments to continue to make a difference in other people's lives.   Jim

2008-02-10 12:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
My "inspirational" tale is nothing major, but its something I'm darn proud of, and shows how far you can come in a year!

I did my first tri in March 2006. It was a 400m swim, and I sucked. I mean...I REALLY sucked. I was lucky it was in a pool, or I would have sunk for sure! I couldn't even swim freestyle, so I wound up doing the whole thing on my back, so I could breathe! It wasn't a pretty sight. I can still remember hanging on the wall at one end, gasping for air and hearing my boyfriend in the stands yelling "you can do it!! you can do it!! GO!!!" (hahaha - he meant well ) Anyway, those 400m took me about 19 minutes and I was the second slowest swimmer of the day. To add insult to injury, once I (triumphantly) got out of the pool, a child from the heat behind me passed me on the deck. Ouch!

Fast forward.

I decided to swim more often, and forced myself to learn freestyle. It was tough, but I kept at it. Then one day I swam 50m continuous (I swim in a 25m pool) and it was a MAJOR breakthrough. I felt like I was making progress! So I signed up for a swim class at my university and (surprise!) got better and better.

I headed back to the same race in 2007 and this time I did the 400m freestyle. My time (which now included T1) was 14 minutes. Which (because of how big the transition is at this race) that my swim time was close to 10 minutes. Turns out, that was good enough to be the 32nd FASTEST swim in my AG that day!

By the end of the school semester, I had set a PR for thr 400m. 8 minutes, 27 seconds. WHOOT!

I know I'm not a fast swimmer, and will probably never be ... but I am proof you can do whatever you set your mind to! Go for it!!

Meg
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey Tri-Vets, please take a moment to inspire!! Rss Feed