General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Being Up Front Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-09 7:00 PM

Subject: Being Up Front
Hi all, came across this site, which I have found great but now extremely late to bed for my 10k in the morning but it's so addictive!

I have recently been talked in to entering the London Triathlon in August which I duly did and am really excited about the new challenge. However, I am still trying to get my head around how it all works and I have a bit of a personal question (the first of many I expect!) and I am hoping that perhaps another lady, although not necessarily, will be able to answer:

I am, shall we say, more than ample up top and usually run in an industrial strength sports bra. During the swim in August, being open water I will be wearing a wetsuit which will keep everything strapped in but then will need huge support for the cycle and particularly the run. So my question is what exactly are the practicalities of the transistion? What do you wear underneath the wetsuit, or do you change tops completely? Any advice will be gratefully received

2008-02-09 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1203155

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Being Up Front
You can purchase a tri top and bottom to wear under the wet suit, or the industrial strength sports bra with bike shorts.  Tri suits can get pricey, I don't have one and am also a little less endowed so the support issue is not one I face.  i don't know how spportive the tri top is as opposed to your super sports bras.  You may be better off trying one on and asking at the store.
2008-02-09 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I too am well-endowed. I have only done one tri so far and the swim was in a pool so I didn't wear a wetsuit, but I imagine that for my next tri I will do what I did last time, which was a tri top (with a built-in bra) with another (not cotton) sports bra underneath it.
2008-02-09 11:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm not super well endowed, but I am definetley not a fan of the bouncy, bouncy. I've only done pool swims so far, so my experience will be a little different than yours, but what I did (with advice from other wonderful ladies here at BT) was just wear my awesome sports bra under my bathing suit. It made no difference to my swim, but made transition quick and my bike and run comfy. It's not the most gorgeous looking thing, but I just threw on a t-shirt in T1 and off I went!

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck
2008-02-09 11:56 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

Whatever you wear, plan on wearing the whole race.  There is generally no where to change, and you wouldn't want to wast the time anyway.   So if you need a super bra, wear it under the wetsuit as well. 

2008-02-10 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

How was the 10K?

I have the same issues as you, and frankly the "built-in sports bra" in any tri top I've seen was more of a 'why bother?' for me.  Wear your industrial-strength sports bra under the top you plan to bike and run in, and put the wetsuit over the top of it all.  Don't forget the tri shorts - also under the wetsuit!    Be sure to practice in this get-up at least once before the race, and use plenty of bodyglide around your armpits, the place where your arm would rub on the seam of a tank top (sorry, can't describe it any better but this is a common place for chafing) and around your neck.

Then, when you blaze out of the swim exit, you take the top half of your wetsuit off as you are heading to T1 and step out of the bottom half at your bike, throw on your bike shoes and helmet and are ready to ride.  The ample top stays strapped in the whole time and you'll dry out during the ride.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome!

2008-02-10 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1203384

User image

Master
St. Louis
Princess_Megz - 2008-02-09 11:50 PM

I'm not super well endowed, but I am definetley not a fan of the bouncy, bouncy. I've only done pool swims so far, so my experience will be a little different than yours, but what I did (with advice from other wonderful ladies here at BT) was just wear my awesome sports bra under my bathing suit. It made no difference to my swim, but made transition quick and my bike and run comfy. It's not the most gorgeous looking thing, but I just threw on a t-shirt in T1 and off I went!

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck

Id like to just say.... I AM a fan of the bouncy bouncy.
2008-02-10 2:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
I though I would be to late to say this but im not... Yay me:

This post is useless without pic's.....
2008-02-10 2:27 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Kelmel - 2008-02-09 8:00 PM Hi all, came across this site, which I have found great but now extremely late to bed for my 10k in the morning but it's so addictive! I have recently been talked in to entering the London Triathlon in August which I duly did and am really excited about the new challenge. However, I am still trying to get my head around how it all works and I have a bit of a personal question (the first of many I expect!) and I am hoping that perhaps another lady, although not necessarily, will be able to answer: I am, shall we say, more than ample up top and usually run in an industrial strength sports bra. During the swim in August, being open water I will be wearing a wetsuit which will keep everything strapped in but then will need huge support for the cycle and particularly the run. So my question is what exactly are the practicalities of the transistion? What do you wear underneath the wetsuit, or do you change tops completely? Any advice will be gratefully received

well I am NOT well endowed, but I did just come back from the multisport store where I bought my first tri shorts and tops.  I chose one with bra built in - super tight, and one that does not have bra built in so you wear the bra of choice underneath (for you the industrial strength variety).  Both the bra and tri top go under the wetsuit (as mentioned above).  That way you are strapped in for the duration.  You could just wear the bra under the wetsuit and add the tri top afterwards but that seems to take too much time....and you will be wet anyway....

have fun! 

2008-02-10 2:37 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Moving comfort Fiona bra works very well for the well endowed - no bouncy bouncy type of girl like myself. . . just that and some tri shorts under a wetsuit and you're set.
2008-02-10 5:53 PM

Thank you all for the advice, should now be able to keep everything exactly where it's meant to be....sorry ranger5oh! Will work on the pics as well AUSQuest!

C Cic the 10k was great thank you for asking - was my furthest event so far and did it in 65 minutes which personally, I was pretty chuffed with. The weather helped - absolutely gorgeous which is unheard of here in London in February (well any month really!)

Look forward to learning so more tips from you all

K

2008-02-10 6:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC
I am glad you asked this...I will be doing my first tri in June (I may actually register for an earlier one in May too)....and I was wondering this myself.

I workout a fair bit and I always have to 'double up' with my sports bras (and I am only a c-cup....I just prefer my girsl to 'stay put'!)....the consequence is I get a uni-boob....but much prefer that than the alternative.....

Another somewhat personal silly question...(sorry to hijack)....what about going to the bathroom? do you all just 'hold' it? having four kids was not kind to my 'bladder retention' and it will be difficult for me to run AFTER a swim and bike without having emptied my bladder first. Do people 'waste the time' to go pee? Is there even that option? I feel so silly for even asking this!

Edited by couch potato no more 2008-02-10 6:28 PM
2008-02-10 11:14 PM
in reply to: #1203996

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
couch potato no more - 2008-02-10 6:27 PM I am glad you asked this...I will be doing my first tri in June (I may actually register for an earlier one in May too)....and I was wondering this myself. I workout a fair bit and I always have to 'double up' with my sports bras (and I am only a c-cup....I just prefer my girsl to 'stay put'!)....the consequence is I get a uni-boob....but much prefer that than the alternative..... Another somewhat personal silly question...(sorry to hijack)....what about going to the bathroom? do you all just 'hold' it? having four kids was not kind to my 'bladder retention' and it will be difficult for me to run AFTER a swim and bike without having emptied my bladder first. Do people 'waste the time' to go pee? Is there even that option? I feel so silly for even asking this!
MOst aces have porapotties somewhere near transition or a turnaround point on the run but if you can "hold"it you'll save time
2008-02-11 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi!
I wear a running bra with good support under my wetsuit and then when I get out of the water and take my wetsuit off, I put a running shirt on. It is a roomy running shirt, so I have no trouble getting it on, even when wet.

It works for me!
2008-02-11 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1203996

User image

Extreme Veteran
I know some serious runners and triathletes who pee in the water before they get out, and who also pee on the bike and run. I know, it 's not for me, I am not fast at all so I stop at the Porta-Potties, but a LOT of people who have a chance to place pee wherever they feel the need. From what I have read, there is a real knack to peeing on the bike, so that you don't ruin the rest of your ride!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Being Up Front Rss Feed