General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 5 Caloundra Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 5 Caloundra - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Caloundra, Queensland
Australia
USM Events
28C / 82F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m 10s
Overall Rank = 311/715
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/63
Pre-race routine:

When my alarm went off at 4.30 (only 4 hours sleep) I felt very sleepy and it was like I had only just closed my eyes. I had gone out with friends for dinner and then had noisy neighbours until 12.30am when I got home.

I was excited about the race so my drowsiness wore off pretty quickly. I packed the car and headed off for Caloundra by about 4:45 and would have seen about twenty other cars on the highway all heading for the tri.
Event warmup:

Scored a spot to park the car close to transition after driving through a fair few back streets. Made my way to registration and racked my bike and checked out all the exit and entry spots. I met up with my parents who had come down to watch the race and it was great to have somebody to chat too because I had about 2 hours to wait until my wave started. I think we were the third last wave of the day.
Swim
  • 15m 9s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

I lost my goggles last week and bought some new ones on Friday which I found out pretty quickly were absolute crap!!! I swam with them after work and they leaked like crazy. I tried tightening them so much it hurt my head but it made no difference. So I bought a second new set on Saturday morning and as I jumped into the canal I hoped like hell that these wouldn't leak.

This swim was the toughest and roughest swim I have ever ever had. Not only did I get punched, kicked and smacked in the face 3 times (my goggles were fantastic, no a single drop), there was also a strong current to swim against. At one stage during the swim, I was sure somebody was pulling one of the buoys away from us because no matter how hard I swam towards this the bloody buoy, it didn't seem to be getting any closer. We also had some lovely sharp rocks to walk on as we finished the swim. I know my swimming is poor but my time (and others) suggest that this swim was easily more then 400 meters!!

I did have one small victory today; I wasn't last out of the water!!
What would you do differently?:

I need to improve my swim training and work on more speed sessions.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was all good. I found my bike quickly and got out of transition nice and efficiently.

All good.
Bike
  • 28m 51s
  • 15 kms
  • 31.20 km/hr
Comments:

I got onto my bike fairly quickly and flew out with the wind to the turn marker hitting a top speed of about 40kph. I headed back into a fairly strong headwind and could only managed somewhere in the low 30's kph. I think I averaged about 33kph for the 3 laps which is a little disappointing after my great time at Robina a couple of weeks ago.

On reflection I'm still happy with my overall time because I think the Caloundra course is a bit slower then Robina. You have to slow down at quite a few sections on the Caloundra course because of roundabouts and some narrow sections, where as Robina’s course is made up of 2 basic two straight sections. Also there is was no real wind at Robina either.

It couldn’t have been worse, I passed a couple of guys who had crashed and were being helped off the road by some volunteers. They didn't look like they would be finishing, lots of blood and grave rash.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I took a second or 2 to find my spot in transition but quickly got my shoes on and headed off for the run.

Before I start my race I need to work out a way to remember my spot in transition without my bike being there. I can find my bike after the swim because I can spot my yellow seat but without my bike there I have struggled the last 2 races to find my spot quickly.
Run
  • 18m 8s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 32s  min/km
Comments:

Jumped off my bike and felt good to be running. I could see a few of my age groupers in front of me and set about pegging them back. I think I passed 3 guys on the way out and 2 guys on the way back with the last one about 10 meters before the finishing line.

Really enjoyed the run and to average 4.5 minute k's was great. Need to keep going to Pat's running group and doing those sprint efforts.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim is still crap but I'm improving now that I'm back swimming again.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race even though my overall time isn't as fast as other races over this distance, it certainly left me feeling challenged. With it's difficult swim (I now also have a few small cuts on my feet from the sharp rock as a memento), it's technical bike course and it's super flat run course, I'll certainly be back again next year to give it another crack.

Last updated: 2008-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:09 | 400 meters | 03m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 46/63
Overall: 482/715
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: The course started in a canal, went out into the passage and then turned to shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:51 | 15 kms | 31.20 km/hr
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 0/715
Wind: Some
Course: 3 lap course. Riding with the wind on the way out and into the wind on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:08 | 04 kms | 04m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 0/715
Course: Out and back course. Nice and flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-10 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 5 Caloundra

2008-02-11 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1204157

User image

Brisbane, Queensland
Subject: RE: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 5 Caloundra
Great work pz! that swim must of been tough thou.
excellent ride and run
2008-02-11 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Great report!
Getting a really good split in the bike can be pretty tough in windy conditions. The head wind takes it out of you, so I reckon you've done well! And to run 4:30min/km that's fast!

Are the lanes for the bikes ever labelled? If not perhaps a suggestion to the race organiser is in order. Ours are and I repeat to myself between lanes 5 & 6, 5 & 6. The I just look for my outrageously pink towel and line of talc powder. I also know guys who write where their bike is on their hand so they don't have to think/remember.

Glad you enjoyed the day.
2008-02-11 10:11 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Well done! Sounds like a really tough swim and swim exit. Great run!

2008-02-13 12:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

wow 4 hours sleep before a race is tough~  way to go racing,  I'd be napping in transition after you found your bike!

hehe I've struggled to find my bike in the last couple of races its all about concentrating and focusing,  I tend to daydream!  I've got the outrageous coloured towel too like Casie to try and find it. 

thats nice that your parents could come and watch!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 5 Caloundra Rss Feed