General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIrst Tri EVER - Pewaukee Tri - Anyone Familiar? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-10 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: FIrst Tri EVER - Pewaukee Tri - Anyone Familiar?
Hi All,

I'm preparing to begin training for my first Tri EVER, a sprint event call the Pewaukee Triathlon. (http://www.midwestsportsevents.com/events.php?EventID=3) Has anyone taken part in this? I have a couple of questions.

1. How soon will I need to register to ensure participation?
2. Anyone have an overview of the relative difficulty of this Tri?

Thanks for your help,
Bunny

2008-02-11 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1204239

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Subject: RE: FIrst Tri EVER - Pewaukee Tri - Anyone Familiar?

I have not done this race, however, I've ridden the bike course multiple times and it's not too bad. 

It does fill up in advance. If you email the race director, he can tell you where the registration numbers are at for this year.  I just asked the same information for High Cliff and they were great to work with.

Check some of last years race reports for additional details.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=5614

And welcome to BT!

2008-02-11 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Hey, welcome to the sickness... er... wonderful sport of triathlon!

Yes, I've done Pewaukee several times. It's basically my home course and as I sit here in my office I can just about see the lake.

Here's the scoop. I would call Pewaukee a relatively challenging sprint course. The swim is no biggie, just a little weedy. They send out waves of 50 to limit the thrashing, but things tend to bunch up going around the first buoy. The bike is very hilly, with one hill almost immediately out of transition that takes a lot of people by surprise. The run is also hilly, with a true "wall" hill about 1/3 the way through the course. It's basically all uphill during the first half and all downhill the second half of the run course.

Pewaukee is an extremely popular event. It fills up quickly and your rack position in transition depends on when you sign up, so it's best to do so now. The course itself can also be crowded and viewing can be difficult because of the huge crowds in town. That said, this is a very fun event and draws folks of all abilities. You may be blown away to look at some of the bikes in transition-- you'll see a LOT of high-end equipment for a sprint.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any further q's!
2008-02-11 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Scoobysdad is right on with his analysis. Pewaukee was my first a few years back (2005) and I keep coming back for more. Keeps getting more popular, so best to sign up now. That reminds me, I need to register.
2008-02-11 11:13 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

i did the pewaukee last year (ok, i admit to being horribly out of shape) and the thing that sticks out in my mind is the "wall" hill on the run...........otherwise not to bad (some nice hills on the bike, but ok).  I signed up last year in march and got in no problem.  i think this year might be different tho so i would recommend signing up as soon as you decide that you want to do that race.

Good luck and I will see you and all the other donkeys out there as i stand by and cheer you on with random EEEEEEEAAAAAAWWWWWWWS!!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIrst Tri EVER - Pewaukee Tri - Anyone Familiar? Rss Feed