U of M Rec Center
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m
Overall Rank = 14/108
Age Group = F 19-24
Age Group Rank = 6/25
Pre-race routine:

I got up really early because I was so excited about the race. I have been looking for revenge on my not-so-great race last year and finishing in last place. I packed up my transition bag yesterday and spent the night thinking out my plan. I had my alarm set for 9 because I didn't have to leave till 10 and I didn't actually start till 10:55. So I got up and got some apple juice and a blueberry muffin and just tried to relax and think productive thoughts. Then at about 10 we headed over to the rec center to check in. I got my leg marked and signed the waivers before just watching for a while. Finally I went down to the locker room and set up my make shift transition area. Then I went back up to get ready, clear my mind for a few minutes and went down to the pool side to watch the wave before me finish up.
Event warmup:

I really didn't warm-up. I just put on my swim cap, hopped in water and swam out a few times to make sure the cap wasn't going to move. I figured with a 30 minute swim I wouldn't need a warm-up.

The overall rank is just for females because it would be too hard to figure out by myself.
Swim
  • 30m
  • 1675 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went relatively well. I was worried based off last years performance that I would kick too hard and go out too hard and kill my legs for the rest of it. Even though my first 100 yd was around 1:37, I was able to slow down and keep consistent. About 10:00 into the 30 I found a rhythm and just went with it. I pushed the last 2 minutes or so and was able to pick up at least a few extra yards. I was trying to come up with a song to sing in my head because I couldn't hear the music they were playing, but my mind couldn't come up with anything. I stopped every once and a while to get some gatorade. I got through a pretty good amount of a sports bottle which kept my energy up.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...I was a little bit slower than last year. I was about 125 yds shorter but I also didn't want to kill my energy on the swim. Maybe practice with a swim cap.
Actually after recalculation and an updated total from the race, I was actually only 25 yards off last year's distance....much much closer :)
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

We had to go from the pool to the locker room, change suits, get into the other clothing and then get upstairs to the pool lobby where I bikes were. I got on the bike early to make sure my biking shoes clipped in right. All was good!
The time was also something that was given to everyone. I didn't have a choice in it. I was actually ready in more like 5 minutes than ten

My clothing got stuck on my wet body, but you know that is to be expected with changing clothing. That is why we don't normally change during an outdoor race :)
Bike
  • 30m
  • 8.39 miles
  • 16.78 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went really well. My goal was to do at least 7 miles because I really wanted that last year. I stayed conservative during the beginning, tried upping my resistance at the ten minute mark but realized that was just going to kill my legs. Then as the race continued on, I kept pushing harder. I was flying! I never thought I would do over 8 miles!!!!

Be more careful about the speed towards the end. I was pushing hard because I know the run wasn't going to be a huge distance for me, but I didn't know at that pace if I would even be able to run. It was risky.
Transition 2
  • 10m
Comments:

Again, I wasn't able to control the time and there was even less to do during this transition. I had to change shoes but I was able to sit down for a bit and just catch my breath. I did have a whole minute of walking on the treadmills before I actually had to start which got me warmed up again.

Stretch maybe. After that fast hard bike, my legs could have really used just a quick release.
Run
  • 30m
  • 2.62 miles
  • 11m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

The first ten minutes I held at a steady 5.5 mph pace. This period of time felt like an hour. I then took a couple of minute walking break. Then sped back up again. But during this next period of time, I started having a little bit of GI distress from all the liquid from the bike. I cut my speed again and walked till I felt it pass. Then when the final 10 minute mark came, I cranked the treadmill back up to 5.5 for five minutes and then 5.6 up to 6.5 for the final few minutes. I was flying but I was feeling good. All I know is I wanted it bad and I needed to give it everything I had.

I need to just continue working on running. It is my weak sport but if I push at it too hard I get burned out. I need to work on getting faster without putting my season in jeopardy. Otherwise it was pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked for a few minutes, catching my breath after a really fast run and then walked the lobby for a little bit to cool down a bit more. I didn't want to take in too much liquid again after the problem during the run so I was careful. Then I got my goody bag and some food :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, my run needs work. But otherwise I was really really happy!

Event comments:

Last year my numbers were 1.05 mi in the pool, 6.65 mi on the bike, 2.11 mi on the run totaling 9.80 miles for the whole race. I was last in my age group and I promised never to be that way again. This year, I was a little slower in the pool, which I wanted, much faster on the run and on the bike. My totals were 1.015 miles in the pool (this is a swim mile=1650 yds), 8.39 miles on the bike, and 2.62 miles on the treadmill, totaling 12.025 miles!! I am so proud of my effort today and this is the start of an awesome race season. There are some other indoor triathlons and I am looking into those. I keep motivated to train hard when I race every once and awhile. But today was a huge victory for me. I will update my standing as soon as I get the final results so look for those :)
Well the overall results have been figured out and I put them in....I am truly amazed and overjoyed by the results. I think I might figure out last years just as a comparison, but this has really affirmed what a lot of hard work can do. Thank you everyone for all the support!!

Last updated: 2007-10-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:00 | 1675 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/25
Overall: 23/108
Performance: Good
Suit: My normal swimming suit
Course: This was the rec center swimming pool. 10 lanes 25 yards long. Swim till you can't swim anymore. That is pretty much it.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:00 | 08.39 miles | 16.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/25
Overall: 5/108
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: This was done on an exercise bike so everyone had the same equipment. We were able to change the resistence and when you did that, the distance changed faster.
Road:   Cadence: 110
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 10:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:00 | 02.62 miles | 11m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/25
Overall: 87/108
Performance: Average
Course: This was on a treadmill. We were able to start walking ahead of time and that was nice. With this leg being the final, it was a full out sprint!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-10 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Tri-U-Mah

2008-02-10 11:44 PM
in reply to: #1204288

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Tri-U-Mah
great race--you pick you own distances?  I never heard of that before!
2008-02-11 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Congratulations on a great race! I've done that one the last three years, but couldn't make it this year, unfortunately. Next year!
2008-02-11 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1204606

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Pam - great job!  I am in particular very impressed by your biking distance.  What resistance did you use for the most part?  I still need to get that figured out...  Excellent job overall.
2008-02-11 8:37 AM

User image

Elite

Great job.  Nice improvement from last year.

2008-02-11 8:38 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Wow. Nothing like a ~50% improvement. Congrats.

2008-02-11 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Great job Pam!  You came in with a plan and stuck to it. That will pay off big-time when you do your HIM this year.  We're proud of you!
2008-02-11 11:03 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

What a great idea for a TRI.  It sounds like you had a great time--which is truly important.  

You did wonderfully.  I can't believe the improvement in one year.  You should be proud.   The running improvement will come in time. And frankly, I find it harder to run on the treadmill too.

Geoff 

2008-02-12 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Wow, that is quite the improvement. You sounded pretty motivated and the follow-through produced great results. Congratulations.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-U-Mah Rss Feed