Run
  • 27m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Post race
Event comments:

I have a new Redlands Triathlon Personal Best

2007 Redlands Triathlon Race Report

But it wasn’t without a T2 (Transition 2) dizzy spell where I had to hold on to a wall before continuing on with my journey to the pool!

There seems to be drama every time I do a Triathlon doesn’t there? Well, this one isn’t as big as it seems but it sure made a difference in my Personal Best!

The weather was perfect. Compared to last year’s flood, this was ‘walk in the park’ weather.

As I sat in my car at 5:30 in the morning, I went through the triathlon checklist in my head. Did I bring everything? Well, I was sure I did. But then when I got to Redlands I realized I didn’t bring my energy gels. Oh well, it’s only an hour race, I reasoned; I didn’t need energy gels.

Hmm... interesting- as this one very thought actually had a key result in the race!

I didn’t go into this race at peak condition. I’m in pretty good physical condition, but after the San Diego Marathon I burned out. It took a lot out of me. So, since June 3, 2007, my training has been next to null. In fact, other than swimming recreationally, playing golf, having a couple of runs and weight lifting sessions here and there, I have slacked like a true slacker that I am.

Since June 2007 I ran less than 50 miles, I biked ZERO miles since February of last year. That’s a whole year! And I swam maybe two miles at best and that’s only recreational swimming at Turtle Bay Resort in Hawaii back in August and LaCosta Resort and Spa in San Diego in September. I am very meticulous when logging my training. From tenths of mile on runs for EACH pair of running shoe I use, to logging yards to meters conversions on swims for each goggle I own.

Since June 3, 2007, my log is blank. It’s pretty pathetic.

Since the beginning of this year I ran approximately 30 miles, biked 35 miles and swam ZERO meters. ZERO.

So considering the lack of training, I wasn’t expecting to hit a personal best at all. I just wanted to finish and finish strong considering all of the above.

My race plan: Run hard but save some for the bike ride. Then, get on the bike and give it EVERYTHING I could while focusing on the climb. I figured if I gave it everything and really pushed myself on the bike ride, my time would speak for itself in the end. After a hard ride, all I had to worry about was a measly 100 yard swim. That’s 91.44 meters for those metric folks.

Of course we all know what happened the first time I did the swim back in 2006; it was a near death experience. Two years removed from that situation, a 100 yard swim is nothing. In fact, a quarter mile ocean swim in 40 degree water and 10–12 foot waves is nothing!

So expectations were that this Triathlon would be well, like the weather: walk in the park.

It was all according to plan. My run was smooth. I felt great throughout the whole run even thinking my pace was faster than it should be but it wasn’t a struggle to keep so I kept it up. As I turned the last corner I was in really good stride. I remember at this point last year I was struggling to keep up with some 9 year old girl while I struggled with a quarter mile left. This year, I was still running smooth with a quarter mile left. It wasn’t an all out sprint to T1, but it was a really good pace that got me to my bike with some serious energy!

5K run: 27min 5sec (Slow, but decent considering).

T1 was really good. It could be better, but I always have a mishap with something or another. I took off my hat and accidentally snapped off the ear piece of my Oakley sunglasses. It’s fortunate that I have an extra pair of glasses at my transition area and this was one of those times I was glad I was prepared. I also have an extra pair of shoes and goggles just in case.

Other than that, T1 was smooth and fast. I decided not to wear gloves, got on my bike and was off and pedaling pretty hard considering I gave the 5K run a strong finish.

T1 Time: 1min 8sec (average time for me and could improve)

I checked my speed and was at a speed better than the other two times I did the race. Staying on my big gear for as long as I could helped. I practiced this at the Rose Bowl every time out. It made a huge difference in my climb. Then it was downhill from there.

I flew down hitting 34 mph at one point and passing up other cyclists who were also in aero position. I was like, I guess my bike is pretty fast! I’ve never really passed up cyclists coming down this hill before. Especially cyclists on tri-bikes, in aero position, and who were already ahead of me coming into the bike portion of the race! They either ran faster than me and were already in front, or biked passed me going up. I was able to catch a bunch of people on the way down regardless! It was awesome.

The second time up was tougher.

First, I imagined how motivating it would be if Donna and the kids were there cheering me on like they did two years prior. Other people were cheering family members on as they headed back up, I got a few cheers of encouragement, but it wasn’t ‘my family’. I took it for what it was and smiled and continued on my push to the top.

I really thought I had more in me but I struggled back up and decided to ride on my small gear practically all the way up. I got off my saddle a couple of times but managed maybe 30 revolutions on my pedals before having to sit back down. Those that I flew past on the way down were now passing me on the way up.

Looking back at my HR data shows I was really pushing it every step of the run and every revolution of the ride! So I did what I planned on doing.

On the way down I was flying but I could barely get past 30 mph it seemed. I also nearly flew off my bike when I was passing another cyclist on the way down. I yelled, “LEFT” and as I made my move there was a little dip in the road that I wasn’t prepared for and it bumped me off my seat a little. Fortunately I was holding onto my aero-bars securely as I passed the rider or else there would have been disaster! Needless to say, it put a scare into me that made me think: HOLY SHIT I ALMOST DIED!!! Whew.

I took the last u-turn and got off my saddle and biked as hard as I could to T2.

It was awesome. My race plan was going perfect. I was giving it everything I could…

And then T2 happened.

10 mile ride: 37:28 (That’s 2 ½ minutes faster than last year and 3 ½ minutes faster than 2006!)

I got off my bike and I was woozy. I gulped down some Gatorade and it made me feel nauseous... Note: Don’t drink Low Calorie “G2” Gatorade during a race!

And remember the part where I forgot my energy gels?

Well, this is how it works: I usually take a gel about 20 minutes before the start of the race. Then, after about a mile or so on my bike ride I take another gel.

I try to fuel every hour when training and especially during a race. And today, I didn’t fuel before, and I didn’t fuel during. But come on... does it really make a difference?

Yes it does!

You see, lack of calories, protein, and carbs, can ruin your long training day and can definitely jeopardize your race day. Your body needs enough fuel to maintain itself throughout the race and help prevent early fatigue. There are three things to think about in order to train and race properly. 1) preparation (which I lacked), 2) pacing (one I focused on despite lack of training), and 2) fueling (one I completely ignored on race day).

With more preparation, this Triathlon would have been a serious personal best and not what it eventually was. With a little more care to pacing, maybe my all out bike strategy would have not caused my T2 demise! (you’ll see why). And if I had fueled properly, this race report would have been over already!

So here I am, off my bike and struggling to stay on my feet. No cramps, fatigue was not a problem (I thought), I was breathing fine and my heart was feeling good. But my brain wasn’t functioning properly. The world was spinning. I wobbled like a weeble. I felt feint like a fallen foe, and I thought I was going to collapse hard on the cold concrete. How’s that for an illiteration.

I gagged, thinking I was going to throw up the Low Caorie “G2” grape Gatorade crap, but held it in. I grabbed my goggles and walked, for a lack of a better word, to the pool like an alcoholic walking into his house in a stupor after a night of drinking.

I leaned against the wall at one point trying to clear my head. I remember trying to spit into a trashcan and instead dribbled down my arm. I think. Were those girls grossing out over what I just did? Why are they laughing? Do I have yuck all over my arm? What’s going on? Where am I?

I struggled to the edge of the pool. People were diving in – you’re not supposed to. The life guard wasn’t saying anything. I had the inclination to go head first and get a good start. Instead, I let myself fall in.

I was able to relax despite my state of, how can I call it, unconscious consciousness. Or conscious unconsciousness. Anyway, I took stroke after stroke after stroke.

In my head I went over a conversation I had with Donna the night before. I told her I had planned on swimming but didn’t get around to it. 18 holes with Chip & Dale was my choice of training on Saturday and not swimming in a dark lonely pool at the gym. She said she thought it would have made a difference. During my first 25 yards I thought… would it? Later that afternoon I thought it wouldn’t have made any difference at all. Today, I believe it would have made a huge difference. I forgot technique. If I swam on Saturday, at least I would have had a mental checklist on technique and would have brought that with me into the Triathlon.

So 25 yards in, a conversation replay in my head, and dizziness and lack of direction yet making it to the wall, I was almost done I took a quick breather at the wall then kept going. And unlike two years ago, despite my fatigue and dizziness, I was still doing what I was supposed to do. It was pretty amazing. My brain was blank, all I knew was I had to swim. My eyes were so blurred that goggles didn’t help. I was so dizzy but I was still breathing well almost like I may be able to do a quarter mile swim! I was a robot in the water. This is good right? I’m thinking, yes.

50 yards in I saw a guy holding on to the wall. The look on his face was defeat. I didn’t think he’d make it. Normally, I’d give the person some encouragement. Even at my toughest moment (LA Triathlon) where I yelled to others “Lets go!” as we struggled back to shore, I couldn’t muster any words for this poor fellow. I wonder what he thought of me as we looked at each and I just left him there to die as I went on my way to the other side.

I bumped into a woman swimming on her back and called out “sorry!” I think she acknowledged me with “that’s okay.” But for all I know she was cursing me out for swimming into her. I couldn’t see, lady! I was about to faint! So sue me already! I believe she said, “that’s okay” though.

I was far from finishing strong. I was ready to pass out. I looked up and saw an older man at the side of the pool encouraging me to swim to the steps. “You’re almost there! Keep it up! Get to the steps and you’re almost done!” he yelled.

I made it. I MADE IT! I got to the steps and crawled out. I managed a feeble “thank you” to the older gentleman who was encouraging the next person (the woman on her back) to keep moving.

I barely made it to the finish line where I was rewarded with some sort of brown ribbon. My medal of honor for, again, finishing a triathlon. They should at least give us a trophy. Or a gift certificate to Yard House! It’s a friggen triathlon!

Okay... swim was better than both years past. Even in my woozy-dreamlike-conscious-unconscious-state.

Swim: 2min 44 sec. (Yup, 40 seconds better than last year and close to 3 whole minutes better than 2006!)

With some pretty good times I posted I thought a personal best was recorded. Guess what... IT WAS? But… I only beat last year’s time by 20 seconds! TWENTY FRICKEN SECONDS!

I finished at 1hour 11minutes and 25seconds.

You’ve got to be kidding me!

It’s amazing how the little things in a Triathlon can make a big difference in a race. From fueling (which isn’t such a little thing) to Transition time. Transition time should take a minute or less. Seriously. It’s quick.

In a Reverse Tri (Run/Bike/Swim), T1 is: take off shoes, put on bike shoes, helmet, get on bike and go. Less than a minute right? T2 is: park bike, get shoes/socks off, get helmet off, grab goggles and jump into pool and finish the race. Should be even less than T1!

So what was my T2 time?

First lets look at T1…
In 2006, my very first ever triathlon, T1 was great. I did it in 1min 10seconds.
In 2007, my T1 time was 1min 9seconds.
This year my T1 time was: 1min 8seconds!
Pretty damn consistent if I say so myself? And I want and can improve on that big time!

Now on to T2.
In 2006, my T2 time was 1min 50seconds. Long! And this is getting a foot cramp on the way to the pool!
In 2007, my T2 time was 1min 5seconds! Nailed it!
And in 2008 my T2 time was... wait for it...

TWO MINUTES AND FORTY FOUR SECONDS! 2min 44seconds! TWO MINUTES AND FORTY FOUR FRIGGEN SECONDS!!!

Two what? It took me 2 min and 44seconds to get off my bike and into the pool! That’s worse than 2006! It should have taken a minute max this year with all my Transition experience! And if I take that into account my time would be better by almost two minutes!

So last year I did the race in 1:11:55.

This year I beat that: Barely. I did it in 1:11:25 (official).

What a bummer. I didn’t figure this out till later that night. I didn’t realize how important that one thought I had at the beginning of the race was. I thought, it’s only an hour race, who needs an energy gel?

Well, I will go out on a limb and say, if I had that ‘fuel’ I wouldn’t have been so empty after I got off the bike. I screwed myself TWO WHOLE MINUTES all because I left my energy gels at home.

I learned a HUGE lesson this year. HUGE.

Here are my year by year comparisons of the Redlands Triathlon.

2/12/2006 2/11/2007 2/10/2008
RUN 0:27:52 0:26:21 0:27:05
T1 0:01:10 0:01:09 0:01:08
BIKE 0:40:59 0:40:02 0:37:28
T2 0:01:50 0:01:05 0:03:00
SWIM 0:05:29 0:03:18 0:02:44
1:17:20 1:11:55 1:11:25

There you have it. Another drama filled race by yours truly. All because I forgot my energy gels at home!

POST RACE - I had to eat a danish, drink my cold coffee, and take a 15 minute nap to clear my head before driving home...

So I got a brown ribbon. But the most rewarding thing about completing a triathlon is coming home, getting a hug from Donna and again, hearing her say, “I’m proud of you!”

LIFE IS GOOD

Next up: The Pasadena Triathlon. March 8, 2008. I’m going to tape energy gels to my bike tonight!

Last updated: 2008-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:44 | 91 meters | 02m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: