General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eatting EVERYTHING!!! (rant) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-13 7:57 PM

Kelowna
Subject: Eatting EVERYTHING!!! (rant)
How do I stop eatting everything in sight? I am a major binge eatter!! Most of the time I'm good I can go for weeks and even months with out eating or drinking CRAP...but lately (the last couple months) all I seem to do is eat crap...chips, chocolate, BREAD I LOVE BREAD!!! I stopped buying peanut butter , kids can't take it to school and I found I was the only one eatting it.... I feel so out of control.... I am 5.5" and I used to weigh over 220lbs (probably over 230). I am in the 160's and would like to get to the 140s... The annoying thing is I'm not the one buying the junk food and I don't go out of my way to get it (too cheap and lazy) . My husband is and I have told him on more than one occation to stop it or not to eat it in front of me , cuz I'll eat it if it's there...no will power...bad me bad...I know it's not his fault and I am the one making the CHOICE but come on....GRRRR...

Anywho anyone got any thoughts or ideas?

2008-02-14 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1210976

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Eatting EVERYTHING!!! (rant)
I you have to cheat and binge sometimes. I feel you though, I am the same way.
2008-02-14 8:36 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-14 8:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Take a deep breath!

You only have today to focus on. Here's how I deal with it.

I truly believe that some of us can't handle junk food at all, any more than some people can handle alcohol. I know that when I eat chips or sweets I start to crave them in a way that I can only discribe as addictive.
When I walk into a room I immediately spot the junk in a way that non-food junkies don't. I have a lot of alcoholism in my family. Alcohol is tons of sugar and I think some of us crave sugar more due to our bodies not handling sugar as well, spiking and then crashing.
Maybe is comes to that after years of eating poorly, I don't know.

Here's what I do about it. I do NO white anything. I only eat 100% whole grain breads and pastas and even then in small amounts balanced with protein and lots of veggies to fill me up. I use splenda a lot, but get no shortage of carbs in my diet from grains and fruits/veggies. That and my hubbie hiding the family candy - yes, I am embarrassed by that, but it works.

At some point I find that my cravings lessen and I am able to see junk and say "That is not MY food". Mind you I have many slips: not having healthy snacks with me when I am out for the day can lead to a bag of chips, but I make it a small bag. Over at friends I tend to lose it.

Overall, I feel that if I have more good days than bad I'm doing better than when I didn't try.

I am sorry that you hubby doesn't support you yet. That makes it much worse, but not impossible.

Each morning you wake up is a new chance to do better than yesterday. Unfortunately total abstinance is still the easiest thing in the long run. Take a deep breath, sit down and repeat "I do have a choice right now".

hugs,
Mitzi
2008-02-14 9:34 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
It sounds like it might help if your husband was more supportive and didn't bring those items into the house. I guess I would ask him, "Why are you trying to sabatoge me?". That's exactly what he's doing. He knows you can't resist, you have asked him NOT to bring it into the house...and he continues to do it.

And let's face it... no one in your house NEEDS junk food... right? I say this because no one in any household NEEDS junk food.

Otherwise, my rule is that I don't buy and bring stuff into my house that I know I love and it bad for me to eat... and that I won't have any self-control with. If I don't do that, my diet stays in check.

Good luck!
2008-02-14 9:48 AM

Master

How much are you training? Are you eating enough to support your volume?

As traiing volume ramps up we must increase calorie intake. My training right now ranges from 45 minutes a day to 2 hours or more a day. Calorie intake ranges from 2400 to 3000 plus. On heavey volume days if I have not fueled properly throughout the day I get the same way. ESPECIALLY with anything with a heavey carb load.

I know when I have a heavey training day I need to up my calories throughout the day.

2008-02-14 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1211786

Extreme Veteran
Pa
idahodan - 2008-02-14 10:48 AM

How much are you training? Are you eating enough to support your volume?

As traiing volume ramps up we must increase calorie intake. My training right now ranges from 45 minutes a day to 2 hours or more a day. Calorie intake ranges from 2400 to 3000 plus. On heavey volume days if I have not fueled properly throughout the day I get the same way. ESPECIALLY with anything with a heavey carb load.

I know when I have a heavey training day I need to up my calories throughout the day.

X2 

I crave junk when I don't fuel properly.

2008-02-18 9:31 PM

New user

maple valley
I do the same thing. I have also wondered why. My husband is pretty good about it but I have work stuff to contend with too. There is always stuff somewhere just waiting to suck me in! I am good for a week or two max, then go for the gusto for a couple of days.
I don't know why. I am COMPELLED.
I just keep holding onto the bigger picture and trying again.
I thought I had handled every reason why I turn to food but sometimes that doesn't stop the weakness I experience when I zone in on something I want. Is that what happens to you too?
I wish I could tell you what we need to stop the "madness", but I don't know. Instead I'm letting you know that it isn't just you.
Hang in there, maybe someone will be able to give the answer. I will be watching this thread hoping for good news. Otherwise, I guess we will have to continue the good fight.
Elizabeth
2008-02-19 8:04 AM

Master
Saskatchewan

You aren't alone. Luckily, I live by myself so I can control what's in the house. Thing is, I can binge on grapes, rice cakes and oatmeal. At least that's better than chips or white bread. I don't buy PB anymore because it is such a trigger food - 1 Tbsp on a banana somehow leads to sitting down with the PB jar and a spoon.

I'm slowly getting toward my goal weight by tracking everything that goes into my mouth. As well, I'm thinking more about my cravings: am I bored, anxious, thirsty or hungry? Also, would I binge if there was someone else around to see? Probably not.

I also came across the TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) pledge. I think that it is a valuable reminder even though I'm not in their program.

I am an intelligent person.
I will control my emotions, not let my emotions control me.
Every time I am tempted to use food to satisfy my frustrated desires,
build up my injured ego or dull my senses,
I will remember,
even though I overeat in private,
My excess poundage is there for all the world to see.
I will Take Off Pounds Sensibly.

2008-02-19 8:49 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-27 12:34 PM

Elite
San Jose, CA
I am the same way and have professed the fact that I have an eating disorder called compulsive over eating...It has little to do with hunger and I have several trigger foods...Bread is one of mine...any kind of bread.  If I have one slice I will eat the whole loaf in a sitting.  I have been known to buy two huge bags of cookies and eat them all in a day.  So I know where you are coming from.  The way I control it, is making a meal plan and sticking to it.  My SO also brings in food that I love, but cannot have...it is tough, but it can be done.  I also schedule off days.  Where I allow myself a controlled break on the food.  Most people don't understand.  They think that you can have just one cookie, they don't understand that one cookie leads to the whole bag.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eatting EVERYTHING!!! (rant) Rss Feed