General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey Type 1s - how long bewteen bolus and starting exercise Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-14 2:09 PM

New user

Subject: Hey Type 1s - how long bewteen bolus and starting exercise
Hi every one,
I am a type 1 diabetic who recently (5 months ago) started on an insulin pump. About the same time, I started running and have since targeted a sprint tri in the Fall I will be attempting.

My question is, how long after your last bolus do you wait to exercise? If I start too soon after my last bolus I always end up going really low after 30 to 40 minutes. My concern is if my scheduile gets jumbled at all I end up missing work outs because I am concerned about going too low. I generally err on the side of caution but I just hate missing work outs. I am extremely motivated right now and don't want to lose my momentum.

I always try to reduce my basal rate to 50% at least an hour before I start my work outs. I say "try" because i ahve been known to forget to set my pump.

I know a lot of this is trial and error to see what works for me, but I was hoping to get some other folks opinions to at least have a base line of knowledge as I move forward.

Thanks,
phouse23

2008-02-14 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1212655

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hey Type 1s - how long bewteen bolus and starting exercise
Hi there PHouse23,

I´m not on a pump (still old school with Humalog+NPH basal), so things might be a bit different, but as a rule I always TRY to get training in BEFORE major meals, so considering I am with a good BG level, I will drink a coffee (if low BG I might add even some sugar), eat a banana or two, and I´m ready to train without much worries on going low, and after the sessions, I eat B´fas/Lunch/Dinner/whatever with the big bolus.

Not only it takes out the worry of going low, but also, training before main meals is a great way to recover from the sessions. Try this out, 2 benefits in one change.

Vinnie

2008-02-15 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1213631

New user

Thanks for the suggestion. Now you did say you TRY to get the work outs in before a big meal what do you do if you can't get it in before a meal.

Do you take a smaller bolus with your meal then work out after you eat? And if so how long do you normally wait to begin your work out. I am concerned about the active insulin I have on board. My doc put a scare into me about waiting 3 to 4 hours after a bolus to avoid going low. It is just waiting 3 to 4 hours after dinner puts me on the treadmill at 9 or 10 at night which my sleeping 4 year old son in the next room doesn't quite appreciate. :-)

Thank you again for sharing. I think part of my problem with managing my diabetes over the years has been being to stubborn to ask for help. I am finally ready to just get over myself and doing something fun and good for myself at the same time. I appreciate you making it easier for me.

I look forward to your response.

- phouse23
2008-02-15 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1214371

User image

Veteran
Oh yeah man, if there is something I´ve manage to learn over the years, it is to train with a full stomach! Take less units than you are supposed to, and the exercise will take care of the extra glucose.

For your specific situation, I assume you want to have dinner with the family, etc. I would suggest you to eat a smaller meal, jump on the treadmill 30´1-h later, and have another snack after that.

This is diabetes, thinking outside the box, if I had to follow every guideline on "wait for X hours after a meal before exercising" it just wont happen, you gotta adapt on your lifestyle and family/work commitments.

Vinnie

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey Type 1s - how long bewteen bolus and starting exercise Rss Feed