General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra Challenge..Has anyone done one? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-19 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Xterra Challenge..Has anyone done one?
I am thinking of doing an Xterra in Arkansas this August.. I am curious if anyone has done one? I dont know what I am looking for as to answers but if something comes up I would like to have some people I can ask questions too.. mainly training and transition ques... I havent even done a tri yet more less a xterra but I have mountain bike and ran for probably 10 years off an on. I am doing a marathon in March and start the mountain bike race season.. with these two things it seems fitting for me to get into Xterra's.. I like the offroad part too. Anyway let me know if you guys or gals have done any.
Thanks in advance

2008-02-19 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1219919

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Subject: RE: Xterra Challenge..Has anyone done one?
This will be my second year doing XTERRA's (3rd year doing tris). They are a lot of fun and I recommend you try one. They offer more of a challenge than a road tri, in that they require more technical skills. Even the swim can be technical.

They are not easy, but at every race I've been to, there have been new triathletes competing. Brand New. So if you want to challenge yourself AND like to get dirty, then XTERRA is your race. Sounds like you have the run and mtn bike skills.

If you have specific questions, fire away. I'll try to help.
2008-02-19 10:52 AM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
If you're an MTB racer than you obviously have decent MTB skills, and if you're training for a marathon you obviously have good endurance, so go for it. My first ever tri was an off road tri (not XTERRA sanctioned, just a local RD you liked off road tris) and I felt like a bit off more than I could chew. I would say that in terms of physical difficulty, a sprint-distance off road tri is harder than a sprint-distance road tri. However, this shouldn't be an issue for you. They are fun and challenging and I plan on doing one again.
2008-02-19 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
Next question.. I am into setting some goals.. are there any good ones that are in the midwest that would be good to sign up for? I was looking at this one. http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?EVENT_ID=1527330&RESET=0&CHE...
2008-02-19 11:16 AM

User image

Regular
as for my mountain bike skills.. those are not any issue I can do about anything on a mountain bike atleast what would be in a race. As for running I dont get off the road much.. as for swimming not great but at my work we do have a lap pool and last year I was getting some good swims in.. However I dont like to swim but I know its part of the event so I can suck that up.. Anyway my fear is putting them all together to do a xterra. Did you guys do alot of bricks and stuff before hand? I am racing the whole midwest fat tire series and they also have some trail running races before or after.. I might sign up for those as well. do some bricks for training for the xterra.. I appreciate you info so far.. I am getting excited to do some.
2008-02-19 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
western iowa, almost nebraska.
I believe there are actually 3 xterra events in arkansas, one in june in eureka springs, one in north little rock, and the one you have listed.

2008-02-19 11:36 AM

Regular
Hey Man
The only tri's I race in are Xterra's. Watch out thou, once you do one you will never go back to the road. Good luck-have fun.
2008-02-19 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
I'm doing my first Xterra race this summer Xterra Austin. fairly excited about the different challenge. going from ironman arizona in april to xterra austin in july
2008-02-19 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
you have a link to the Xterra in Austin?
2008-02-19 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1220770

Elite
Denver, Colorado

bguild - 2008-02-19 12:59 PM you have a link to the Xterra in Austin?

Here's the entire XTERRA site:

http://www.xterraplanet.com/races/race_schedule.cfm

2008-02-19 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
they are still working on the site.

but here is austin's link

http://www.austinxterra.com/

2008-02-19 6:23 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
After I get through IMAZ I'm going back to Xterras. I have Deuces Wild, Four Corners, and Snow Valley on my schedule. If I get enough points for the invite to nationals in Tahoe, then I might go to that too.
2008-02-20 8:44 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks guys.. I am getting excited.. I do see there are 3 in arkansas.. I will defenitly try atleast on of them.. I just realized i have a less than 2 weeks till the first MTB race of the local series.. I am very excited but was then depressed when I went outside today and it s 5 degrees and that wasnt the windchill.. I would guess windchill is like -10.... I NEED SUMMER THIS SUCKS.
2008-02-20 3:28 PM

Race Director from XTERRA Eureka Springs here
I thought I would throw out our website address for those interested

http://www.eurekaspringsoffroadtriathlon.com

This race is scheduled for Saturday June 7th, 2008
Come for the race, stay for the charm and beauty of Eureka Springs!

Edited by copasetic 2008-02-20 3:28 PM
2008-02-20 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Raced several Xterra's.  They are very different than Road tri's, but they are so damn much fun! 
2008-02-20 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1220441

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV

xterrabuzz - 2008-02-19 12:36 PM Hey Man The only tri's I race in are Xterra's. Watch out thou, once you do one you will never go back to the road. Good luck-have fun.

Not true, my first tri was a xterra when I was 14.  I defantely prefer road races.  The off-roaders are fun though, and xterra's are no exception.

Go for it!

2008-02-20 7:42 PM

Hey all,

We have an awesome race director and an awesome course planned for you all in Austin.

For me, Xterra is the most fun you can have at a triathlon. It's always a tough challenge no matter where you race! Make a road trip to Austin and check us out.

Also consider racing the other Xterra races in Texas and else where around the country (or globe). Elena and Chris do great things with their races at Canyon Lake and Campe Eagle and the Arkansas races are awesome too!

Check the website for more details. We'll be having pre-rides and beer starting soon.

See you in July, if not before.

Mike Carter
2008-02-20 7:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
I'd LOVE to do an XTERRA (and am looking at the Camp Eagle event in TX), but I live in the middle of Seoul, a massive city with little/nothing in the way of technical biking trails.

Any advice on how one might learn some technical course skills without a technical course to ride on? I could find some very small hills and a little bit of all-dirt rough spots along the riverfront, but nothing like roots and rocks.........

??? I really wanna do an Xterra, though!!
2008-02-20 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1224836

User image

Master
Keller Tx

Krakatoa - 2008-02-20 7:45 PM I'd LOVE to do an XTERRA (and am looking at the Camp Eagle event in TX), but I live in the middle of Seoul, a massive city with little/nothing in the way of technical biking trails. Any advice on how one might learn some technical course skills without a technical course to ride on? I could find some very small hills and a little bit of all-dirt rough spots along the riverfront, but nothing like roots and rocks......... ??? I really wanna do an Xterra, though!!

Not to hijack this thread, but I did Camp Eagle last year, and it was the worst bike course i've ridden.  Lots of scree, pretty technical, and little chance to set up well for the climbing.  If they paid me to do the race this year, I don't think I would.  Granted, I had an aweful day, but still....

2008-02-21 11:50 AM

Race Director here for 2 XTERRA's

Ruston LA, May 3, 2008; The Gator Tarra, which is the Oldest XTERRA Branded Race. The Grand Daddy of XTERRA.

Little Rock AR, June 21, 2008: Dawg Dayz, Now in its 8th year. Burns Park is only minutes
from Downtown. Easy access from Interstate 40 Exit 150.

Come on over for a little Southern Hospitality!
2008-02-22 10:44 AM

I work for the Race Director for our wide vareity of events here in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Our annual XTERRA Iron Will is a GREAT event, and is scheduled for August 10th. You can find out more information by visiting www.jonesborosports.org. I believe the link on the second reply to this thread will take you to our online registration. Last year we had a dozen or so different states represtented and each year the event grows more and we all have a blast! You would really enjoy it and the XTERRA Iron Will is beginner-friendly. We also have a Trail Half-Marathon offered this year. Unfortunately, it is not an XTERRA Event, but it's still a great opportunity to run some challenging trails. You can find out more about this event by visiting www.fergussnoddy.com. Hope to see some of you guys out there at our events! If you have any other questions about our events, feel free to e-mail myself at [email protected] or our race director, Jeff Owens, at [email protected].

2008-02-22 3:00 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks for all the info.. if my summer goes as planned you will probably see me there.
2008-05-28 5:30 PM
in reply to: #1229370

User image

Expert
I'm actually doing the XTerra in Eureka Springs in a few weeks and will admit that I'm absolutely terrified. I'm not a super experienced MTBer, but my 12 week training has been MTB trails when the weather permitted. I'd say that the bike portion is the part of the race that I feel most unprepared for.

Some of my anxiety also stems around... What the hell should I wear to this thing? Is it kosher to just wear swimming trunks and cut-off t-shirt? I realize that cotton may not be the best material, but as a plus-sized Clyde, finding clothes that I don't feel self conscious in are very hard to come by.

I suppose part of the uneasiness also comes from the fact that this will by my first tri, and the fear of the unknown plays a part. What do you guys think?
2008-05-28 5:58 PM
in reply to: #1429599

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Blagels - 2008-05-28 2:30 PM

I'm actually doing the XTerra in Eureka Springs in a few weeks and will admit that I'm absolutely terrified. I'm not a super experienced MTBer, but my 12 week training has been MTB trails when the weather permitted. I'd say that the bike portion is the part of the race that I feel most unprepared for. Some of my anxiety also stems around... What the hell should I wear to this thing? Is it kosher to just wear swimming trunks and cut-off t-shirt? I realize that cotton may not be the best material, but as a plus-sized Clyde, finding clothes that I don't feel self conscious in are very hard to come by. I suppose part of the uneasiness also comes from the fact that this will by my first tri, and the fear of the unknown plays a part. What do you guys think?

Most wear tri shorts, just like in road tris. You can usually find them online at closeout prices pretty cheap (some I've found for $10 a pair!).

The cotton T-shirt may chafe you bad on the bike and run, and won't wick sweat very well. Check out tri tops, and just like the tri shorts, you can usually find closeouts online cheap. Or swim without a top, and in T1 put on a bike jersey. I saw some jerseys at Performance bike this weekend in XXXL sizes for $10. It'll be a bit sticky to get on, but will cover you.

Doughboy here on BT is a clyde that does XTERRAS and may have some input on clothing choices.

Don't worry...everyone gets nervous in their first tri! You'll be fine! Most XTERRAS you can get off the bike and walk (hike-a-bike) in areas that you aren't comfortable riding. Make your goal for your first one to be just to finish. You'll learn a lot and the next one you'll be a lot less nervous. Be sure to do a race report to let us all know how it goes!

Edited by PirateGirl 2008-05-28 6:03 PM
2008-05-28 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1429629

User image

Master
Keller Tx
PirateGirl - 2008-05-28 5:58 PM

Blagels - 2008-05-28 2:30 PM

I'm actually doing the XTerra in Eureka Springs in a few weeks and will admit that I'm absolutely terrified. I'm not a super experienced MTBer, but my 12 week training has been MTB trails when the weather permitted. I'd say that the bike portion is the part of the race that I feel most unprepared for. Some of my anxiety also stems around... What the hell should I wear to this thing? Is it kosher to just wear swimming trunks and cut-off t-shirt? I realize that cotton may not be the best material, but as a plus-sized Clyde, finding clothes that I don't feel self conscious in are very hard to come by. I suppose part of the uneasiness also comes from the fact that this will by my first tri, and the fear of the unknown plays a part. What do you guys think?

Most wear tri shorts, just like in road tris. You can usually find them online at closeout prices pretty cheap (some I've found for $10 a pair!).

The cotton T-shirt may chafe you bad on the bike and run, and won't wick sweat very well. Check out tri tops, and just like the tri shorts, you can usually find closeouts online cheap. Or swim without a top, and in T1 put on a bike jersey. I saw some jerseys at Performance bike this weekend in XXXL sizes for $10. It'll be a bit sticky to get on, but will cover you.

Doughboy here on BT is a clyde that does XTERRAS and may have some input on clothing choices.

Don't worry...everyone gets nervous in their first tri! You'll be fine! Most XTERRAS you can get off the bike and walk (hike-a-bike) in areas that you aren't comfortable riding. Make your goal for your first one to be just to finish. You'll learn a lot and the next one you'll be a lot less nervous. Be sure to do a race report to let us all know how it goes!

As Elaine says above, be sure to get yourself a pair of tri shorts or bike shorts.  You don't want to wear a swim suit for 3 good reasons.  You'll be wearing the shorts for the entire race, they have no padding, and the cheese grater effect would be enough for me to finish the race with a giant "just got off a big horse" running stride.  So No swimsuit.  Same goes for the bike jersey.  Performance bike (performancebike.com) sells jerseys up to 3x.  My highest weight at Xterra was over 300lbs.  You'll fit in with the crowd in spandex.  You may feel self conscious at first, but you'll quickly realize that you will be treated just like every other competitor there.  You should find sales on most sizes at Performance, or Nashbar (same company).  even if you don't find them on sale, buy them....they are a good investment.

Have fun, and be sure to let us know how it went!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra Challenge..Has anyone done one? Rss Feed  

of 2