United States
Myrtle Beach Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m
Overall Rank = 230/~1500
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45 and threw on my running clothes. Woke my sister up (who did the half marathon) and stepped onto my hotel balcony overlooking the Atlantic ocean. Got about 6 hours of sleep, but almost 10 the night before. Ate half a bagel and drank a mixture of HEED and Perpetuam. I was super excited for my first full marathon!
Event warmup:

A bit of a rocky start. We arrived at the event almost an hour early. Police made us drive some crazy way to find a place to park. Long story short, we ended up parking in some random parking lot and walking a good distance to get to the start line. Before leaving the car, I had to decide what I was going to race in. I wore shorts, and dry fit short sleeve shirt, and a windbreaker. Let my hat and gloves and pants in the car.

By the time we got to the start line, we had about 10 minutes before the gun! The national anthem was already playing. So I ran in place a bit and that was my awesome warm-up! Ran into the woods for a minute and gave myself one last urination break with about a dozen observers...lol. A little stretching and that was it...
Run
  • 3h 33m 8s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hoping to maintain something around 8 minute pace. At the start line, there were suggested starting positions so I started at the 7:30 mark assuming that many people would start wayyyy too far up. I was right. The marathon crawled for the first mile, while all the people who started too far up for their ability were passed. By mile 2, I felt like I was on pace. My chip time ending up being almost a minute off of gun time.

By the 3 mile mark, I knew that the windbreaker was a mistake. I was already sweating and had to wear the jacket around my waste for the remaining 23.2 miles! Bummer for sure. The first 8 miles FLEW by. I arrived there a bit under 8 minute pace (gun time). I then started to feel a bit tired and fought off a cramp which only lasted one mile. I also took my first cup of water at the 8 mile mark.

At 11 miles, I sucked down my first gel pack knowing that it may give me another cramp. Again a cramp came, but was gone by mile 12. I took my second cup of water. As I came near the half way point, all of the half marathoners increased their pace as they were about to finish. I thought this would bother me, but it didn't really seem to have an affect on my pace. At 13.2, there were considerably less runners on the road.

I took another gel pack right after the 2 hour mark and again fought off another cramp. I hope it was worth it...but if I had to do it again I would still take the gels. By the 15 mile mark I kept passing and passing people. I was still feeling great. I noticed a street sign and realized that I was 100 blocks away from a turning point earlier in the race! I was really suprised at how well my body was doing and at the 20 mile mark I was still a bit under 8:00 pace.

Thats when it hit me. The difference in the way I felt from the 19 mile mark and the 21 mile mark was insane. My stride became smaller and I knew it was going to be a fight for the finish. The next 4 miles were very long and straight and I could see the mile markers half a mile before I actually got to them. I sucked down my final gel and promised myself I wouldn't walk.

My last 5 miles probably averaged in the low 9:00 range, and brought my overall marathon pace to 8:10. I took advantage of almost every water stop and just kept putting one foot in front of the other. The last mile seemed to take an eternity, but I did manage to "sprint" the last .2 miles.
What would you do differently?:

I definately would not have worn the jacket. It turned out to be a perfect day for running. I would have drank more during the first half of the marathon too. Even though I didn't feel like I needed it, I think it would have proved beneficial in the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Once I crossed the finish line, I almost cried. A lot of work had gone into this marathon and I couldn't believe it was finally over. I was extremely happy with how I did

Then I noticed that I could hardly walk! My muscles didn't want to do anything. It took me about 5 minutes to get my chip off and return it. Then I got my medal and found my sister. She finished the half marathon in 3:12. I was very proud of her as well. It was her first race ever! And 13.1 miles at that!

We found a nice patch of grass and layed down. That was my warm-down. Oh, and two free beers!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure, never ran that far before. My goal was to finish without walking, which I did. I had no intention of "racing" the marathon. Perhaps in the future I will. I'd still like to qualify for Boston eventually, which will entail a 16 minute drop in my time.

Event comments:

I absolutely loved the experience, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Last updated: 2008-01-16 12:00 AM
Running
03:33:08 | 26.2 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 230/~1500
Performance: Good
Course: As you can expect from coastal South Carolina, the course was extremely flat. Volunteers were plentiful and the streets were lined with people cheering. A great course for my first marathon.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-02-19 10:47 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: BI-LO Myrtle Beach Marathon

2008-02-19 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1220241

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: BI-LO Myrtle Beach Marathon
Great 1st effort! I ran this one two seasons ago. It can be windy but the event was a lot of fun. You definitely have a BQ in your future. (proper hydration and nutrition will help a lot) Congrats to both of you for awesome performances. Enjoy the bling.

H.
2008-02-20 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1220241

User image

Elite
Thanks! I may try another after completion of my first HIM...

Good times ahead!
2008-02-20 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1223002

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
I didn't drink enough either. You mentioned the gels gave you a cramp. Do gels cause cramps? The reason I am asking is because I had a terrible cramp at mile 11. I had just finished a pack of shot blocks.
2008-02-21 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1224588

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Great job!  Maybe just a bit too fast in the beginning, but you still were able to run the whole thing and with a solid time to boot!!

Congrats marathoner!

2009-02-17 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1226084

User image

Master
Reston, VA

awesome job! ...especially for your first time.  I have done a lot of different races over the years...  i came a long way to do tri's (had to learn to swim), but there is something about finishing a marathon that is very emotional for me as well.  i am not a crier by nature, but the finish line always gets me a little teary.....well, this year the crying started about mile 20 for completely different reasons

anyway, great job!  congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BI-LO Myrtle Beach Marathon Rss Feed