Partnership for the Pathway
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 13s
Overall Rank = 37/108
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Driving like crazy people to get there on time.
Event warmup:

Running to get my bib...then running to the car to get the gels I forgot...then running to the start.
Run
  • 1h 52m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

My friend Paula and I went to the starting line together, and looked at the guy across the street with the gun to start...but then BANG - there were two guns, and one was right next to us...it scared the crap out of us...then someone said go...and we said - "OH, RUN".... it's amazing how you are playing frogger at the very beginning going around people...but near the end - it get's so thin you sometimes have no one in sight right in front of or behind you for some stretches...

When I passed mile one - and the guy said - 8:02 - I knew I needed to slow it down. My left foot was hurting a bit for the for the first three miles, then stopped....then I felt it throbbing a tad again the last mile. I don't think it really affected my run though - it was more annoying than anything. I had a gel right at about 1 hour into the run. Oh - and I tired to do the "mental trick" at mile 10 of thinking - "just a 5k left - sprint it..." that lasted maybe 1/4 mile - lol - then I had to just run it as I could - no sprinting. I did sprint maybe the very last 1/5 mile...and I heard my 5 year old near the finish SCREAM - Woohooo Mommmy!!! That made me pick it up a tad just for her.
What would you do differently?:

I probably would not have started off as hard...and then would have pushed harder at the end...wait...maybe that would have made my time the same though??? Oh - and maybe I will do the gels differently - and time it to take 2 instead of just 1. Running as hard as I could like that, I think I got tired and MAY have needed a 2nd gel near the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around looking for my family...then getting a drink. Went to check the preliminary times...thought DANG - I was fourth...then realized 3rd was actually over a minute ahead of me, and knew I could not have gotten that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I am still learning how to pace at these longer runs. Also, I did have a keyboard dropped on my foot the day before - it does not sound like it should hurt...but it hit my foot just the right way - had a weird bruise and a slight pain every third step for the first three miles.

Event comments:

Okay - 4th in AG, 37th overall, and 11th woman out of 51 (EDIT - I WAS THE 10TH, NOT 11TH - LOL) to finish. My original goal when I registered was 2:10. I then changed it to under 2 - at 1:59....so I did meet my time.

Oh - and get this. I realized when I got home...that the pacing chart you get from runner's world according to my best 5K time said for a 1/2 marathon I should get an 8:34 pace ideally...and guess what? That is EXACTLY what I did. It was just strange when I realized it the night after the race, because when I first saw the numbers, I thought - NO WAY.

This was my first 1/2 marathon. The organization did a great job. I'll do this again next year if the timing works out for me.

Last updated: 2008-01-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:13 | 13.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 37/108
Performance: Good
Course: This run went through 2 states - Texas and Arkansas. I alwasy thought Texarkana was flat...but this course was hilly to me...oh - and VERY windy! But - it was very fun - it went on two different trails. 1660 of ascention according to Garmin - not sure if that is hilly or average for 13.1 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-19 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Subject: Run The Line Half Marathon

2008-02-19 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1220309

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Run The Line Half Marathon
Awesome job Bonny!! You totally kicked your goal in the rear and then waved it when you passed it! Way to go, and 4th in AG, 11th woman overall! WOOHOO! Bring on Athens!
2008-02-19 2:19 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Great  job you trashed your goal rest the foot you deserve it.
2008-02-19 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Great race Bonny!  And a nice comparison to frogger.  I like that.

I would consider a bit more nutrition maybe.  That 2nd gel probably would've helped you out.  Maybe even a third....

Congrats!

2008-02-21 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Frogger!  Awesome!  I'm going to start using that if you don't mind!

You killed this race!  What a performance for your first half.  1:52 is a very respectable time.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run The Line Half Marathon Rss Feed