United States
Ironhead Race Productions
45F / 7C
Total Time = 1h 28m 14s
Overall Rank = 78/188
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

The car was already loaded up, so Raegan and I only had to get dressed and have breakfast. Breakfast- water, coffee, cheerios, 1/2 banana

On the way there, I also had an Ensure.

Event warmup:

Raegan and I were rack partners, which doesn't happen to often. We usually have a flag for our rack to locate our bike better, but we both forgot to bring one for this race. So, i had to make sure I looked at my rack location.

After we set up our area, we chatted with Craig (docshock)and Jen (jah2212) for a bit then hit the run course for a brief warmup.
Run
  • 14m 4s
  • 1.88 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

The 40+ people went first, then my wave started 5 min. after that. It was a good run. My breathing was heavy, but controlled. I was ready for the bike leg by the time I finished 2 laps.

I had heard that the course was more like 1.8 miles than 2 miles. Based on my pace, that seems very likely. However, I just measured it using the route tracker, and it looks like 2 miles to me.

Afterthought- I just now redid my mapping and it came to 1.88miles, so that's what I'm putting.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I was tired after that run and my hr was high, so I was a little wobbly trying to get my bike shoes on. I also had a hard time getting my helmet fastened. I think my running gloves were making it difficult.

I guess I need to practice my transitions more when my hr is high.
Bike
  • 56m 18s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 17.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Here again the distance is questionable. It is advertised as 15 miles, because that is 3 times of a 5 mile loop. However, it doesn't take into count the getting to and from transition to the loop. My cateye came up (and so did Raegan's) with 16.5 miles. I mapped this out with the route tracker too, and it showed it as a 16.5 mile course. So, that is what I am logging.

This had to have been THE windiest ride I have ever done! It was aweful! Being that it was a loop, you got it all- headwinds, tailwinds, crosswinds. The winds got stronger with each loop. by the end, I believe we had 20-25mph winds with 30mph gusts. i of course didn't have a wind guage :), but I believe that was what they forecasted. And I believe it after having ridden in it! I was definitely happy on that last lap not to have to do another one! Going into the headwind I looked at my speed and it said I was doing about 12mph, but riding with the tailwind (which seemed WAY to short) I got up to 29.6mph. Now that was fun! :) I did the best that I could with those conditions, so i am happy about that.

Make sure that my order for a low wind/ sunny/ mid 60* day got put in ahead of time, so that it could be delivered on race day! :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Since I had forgotten my rack flag, I was really having to concentrate on finding the right rack. Here again I had a little trouble being steady. My fingers and toes were a little numb, so it took me a little while to get my shoes on.

not race on such a cold and windy day so that my fingers and toes wouldn't be numb ;)
Run
  • 15m 19s
  • 1.88 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Boy, were my legs tired! The wind didn't seem too bad for the first run, but by the time this run came about, you could really feel the wind. If you compare my hr of this run to that of my first run, then you can probably tell that I probably could have pushed a little harder. However, I don't think my legs would have let me. Like I just said, they were TIRED! Right before turning the corner to finish, Raegan and Craig were there cheering me on and telling me to catch the guy in front of me. I had no more catching ability in me, so I didn't even try.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I went to cheer Jen in to the finish with Raegan and Craig. After that Raegan and I went to hunt down some bagels. We all went to check out the results and I found out that I came in 2nd in my age group. :) Raegan and I loaded up our stuff and then went back for the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really haven't been working on my speed that much since it is still early in the season. So, trying to kick it up a notch was pretty hard.

Event comments:

I guess my only complaint about this race was the inaccuracy of the course distances. Everybody will be recording different distances becuase no one is exactly sure. Even with having mapped it out myself, I'm still unsure about the exact distances. So, I just put down what I believe them to be as others will do the same. I just figure that the race organizers would want to be accurate, too.

Also, the timing mat in and out of transition leading to and from the run course wasn't working. At least the mats for the bike in and out and the finish were working so that they have those times. According to Jack (race organizer) they are just going to add T1 into the first run time and T2 into the second, based off of the start time, bike split time, and finish time. Fortunately for my own record keeping, I kept track of my splits on my watch.

Last updated: 2008-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:04 | 01.88 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/188
Performance: Good
avg hr-187, max hr-197
Course: 2 loops on the practice track inside the Speedway
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:56:18 | 16.5 miles | 17.58 mile/hr
avg hr- 181, max hr- 192
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 loops around a 5 mile road that circles the Speedway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:15:19 | 01.88 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
avg hr- 183, max hr- 188
Course: same as the above run course
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-02-19 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: Texas Motor Speedway Duathlon

2008-02-20 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1221785

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Subject: RE: Texas Motor Speedway Duathlon
Great race Sue! Congratulations on the hardware too! You had an awesome bike split even with the crazy wind conditions. Great way to start the season!
2008-02-20 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Awesome race! Those sure were some speedy times considering you aren't doing any speedwork! Congrats on the hardware!

2008-02-20 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

Nice race Sue.  the winds at TMS are always give and take.  nice and fast considering how heavy they were!

2008-02-20 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

Sue,

Great to meet you and Reagan this weekend. Excellent job on 2nd place and all your split times...I agree that they were speedy for not working on speed work!    Will absolutely see you at more races this season, looking forward to it!!!

Jen

2008-02-20 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
I hated the wind soooo much. That definitely was a tough race. I recorded about the same distances you did on my Garmin.

2008-02-20 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Windy or not, you had a great race! Congrats again on the AG Bling!
2008-02-21 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Great race!  That wind sounds horrible.  Congrats on bringing home the silver!
2008-02-22 12:57 AM

User image

Plano, Tx

Good JOB!! Congrats on the 2nd place AG!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Motor Speedway Duathlon Rss Feed