General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giant vs Felt vs QR vs Cervelo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-02-20 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1223262

Veteran
Missoula
Subject: RE: Giant vs Felt vs QR vs Cervelo
I have a shorter torso, but I am still only going to get what fits. I noticed the Specialized frame's cut out does not hug the wheel as well as QR or Cervelo as well. I would assume this means more drag.

2008-02-20 1:48 PM
in reply to: #1223933

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Does not necessarily mean that at all.  That depends on how the frame flares.  There are too many subtleties in aerodynamics to judge a frame by a picture.

And there really is not as much of a need to concern yourself about frame dynamics unless you are trying to eek out that last .1 mph at the front of the pack.  As you have ntoed, it is really about fit and price range more than anything else.

2008-02-20 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
The P2SL ... and if you can swing it, get the DA model.
2008-02-20 2:14 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

I have zero brand loyalty.   Based on that list, I'd immediately ditch the Giant.    The others are close enough that it should come down to fit and feel.  GO ride them all and see which one feels like your bike.   If they all fit and feel the same, get the felt and save a couple hundred. 

2008-02-20 2:28 PM

Veteran
Missoula
Can people please include WHY with their answers? I am searching for tangible reasons besides "You'll win Kona" or "Cause I ride one!" Can you please expand on the reasons why you ride one?
2008-02-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1224005

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Machiavelo - 2008-02-20 2:57 PM The P2SL ... and if you can swing it, get the DA model.

Why??????  For DA derrailleurs???????  Because that is the ONLY difference between the two besides color.  Completely not worth it:

PartUltegra KitDuraAce Kit
ForkWolf TTWolf TT
SeatpostCervélo aero Aluminum - 2-positionCervélo aero Aluminum - 2-position
Shift LeversShimano DuraAce Bar-endsShimano DuraAce Bar-ends
Front DerailleurShimano UltegraShimano DuraAce
Rear DerailleurShimano UltegraShimano DuraAce
CassetteShimano Ultegra 12-23Shimano Ultegra 12-23
ChainShimano UltegraShimano Ultegra
Brake CalipersCervélo Mach 2Cervélo Mach 2
Brake LeversDia Compe 188 Dia Compe 188
CranksetFSA Gossamer Compact MegaExoFSA Gossamer Compact MegaExo
Bottom BracketFSA Gossamer MegaExoFSA Gossamer MegaExo
HeadsetFSAFSA
StemVisiontech SizemoreVisiontech Sizemore
BasebarsCervélo stokerCervélo stoker
AerobarsProfile Design T2+ clip onProfile Design T2+ clip on
SaddleProfile Design TriStrykeProfile Design TriStryke
WheelsShimano R-500 AeroShimano R-500 Aero
TiresVittoria Diamante Pro LiteVittoria Diamante Pro Lite

2008-02-20 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1224110

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Newbie5317 - 2008-02-20 12:28 PM Can people please include WHY with their answers? I am searching for tangible reasons besides "You'll win Kona" or "Cause I ride one!" Can you please expand on the reasons why you ride one?

Once again, FIT for me.  So I had to eliminate many of the brands right off the top - brands like valdora, BCM, Scott, don't even come close to fitting me.  But, comparing what was left, I thought that the Cervelo was nicely priced for what you got compared to other brands - both in frame design and components.  I'm sure you won't win Kona, but others do - on Cervelo.  But they win on specialized, kuota, etc. as well.

So like the others say - it's fit first, then you chose what you like asthetically and within your price....

2008-02-20 2:39 PM

Veteran
Missoula
I agree with that acessment. The only difference between DA and Ultegra is a bit of weight, one year of warantee and color. you'll find the best reasearch on the subject in this aritcle:

https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/dura-ace-ultegra.shtml

2008-02-20 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1224110

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Newbie5317 - 2008-02-20 3:28 PM Can people please include WHY with their answers? I am searching for tangible reasons besides "You'll win Kona" or "Cause I ride one!" Can you please expand on the reasons why you ride one?

ohforgodssake - go drop some coin, get a bike, post the pics and get it over with!

2008-02-20 2:42 PM
in reply to: #1224114

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Daremo - 2008-02-20 12:29 PM

Machiavelo - 2008-02-20 2:57 PM The P2SL ... and if you can swing it, get the DA model.

Why??????  For DA derrailleurs???????  Because that is the ONLY difference between the two besides color.  Completely not worth it:

PartUltegra KitDuraAce Kit
ForkWolf TTWolf TT
SeatpostCervélo aero Aluminum - 2-positionCervélo aero Aluminum - 2-position
Shift LeversShimano DuraAce Bar-endsShimano DuraAce Bar-ends
Front DerailleurShimano UltegraShimano DuraAce
Rear DerailleurShimano UltegraShimano DuraAce
CassetteShimano Ultegra 12-23Shimano Ultegra 12-23
ChainShimano UltegraShimano Ultegra
Brake CalipersCervélo Mach 2Cervélo Mach 2
Brake LeversDia Compe 188 Dia Compe 188
CranksetFSA Gossamer Compact MegaExoFSA Gossamer Compact MegaExo
Bottom BracketFSA Gossamer MegaExoFSA Gossamer MegaExo
HeadsetFSAFSA
StemVisiontech SizemoreVisiontech Sizemore
BasebarsCervélo stokerCervélo stoker
AerobarsProfile Design T2+ clip onProfile Design T2+ clip on
SaddleProfile Design TriStrykeProfile Design TriStryke
WheelsShimano R-500 AeroShimano R-500 Aero
TiresVittoria Diamante Pro LiteVittoria Diamante Pro Lite

x2 I did the same comparison.  I was planning to buy the ultegra and just buy a DA rear later if I felt like it.....  I was thinking about selling the Ultegra rear on Ebay as new and use the $$$ to get the DA....

2008-02-20 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1224150

Veteran
Missoula
sty - 2008-02-20 2:41 PM

Newbie5317 - 2008-02-20 3:28 PM Can people please include WHY with their answers? I am searching for tangible reasons besides "You'll win Kona" or "Cause I ride one!" Can you please expand on the reasons why you ride one?

ohforgodssake - go drop some coin, get a bike, post the pics and get it over with!

Well that was certainly helpful. I thought these forums were for helping people. My apologies for wasting your time, sir.

2008-02-20 2:52 PM

Boulder(soul)/Cincinnati(body)

Reasons I love my Spec Trans. Comp

1. Fit. I have a long torso and short legs and the fit on the Spec was right for me. This is predominantly a function of frame geometry, if the components aren't exactly what I'd like, they're easier to swap out than the frame is.

2. Price. I was initially looking at getting a road bike and modifying it. Getting the Spec, new, for $1100 was a huge deal for me. I didn't want a Tri bike at this point, i was still very new to triathlon and a road bike seemed to be the more sensible purchase, but the price was just impossible to beat.

3. The small stuff. I liked having a carbon fork and seat post for a more comfortable ride and the integrated aerobar end shifters. The crankset and derailleurs aren't top of the line, but they're good enough and as I mentioned above, they can be swapped out when i have the coin to do so (probably this summer, I'm a broke graduate student for now).

4. Sex Appeal. The ladies dig it.

Edited by chaserbren 2008-02-20 2:56 PM
2008-02-20 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1224169

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Newbie5317 - 2008-02-20 3:46 PM
sty - 2008-02-20 2:41 PM

Well that was certainly helpful. I thought these forums were for helping people. My apologies for wasting your time, sir.

I agree that these, particularly THIS forum does indeed help newbies, as most of us here are. You're not as much wasting anyone's time except your own. You've received 2 pages of "helpful" advice which clearly did include many "whys" and "tangible reasons" for one model over another, in addition to stating in your opening post that you've posted this same question on other forums. So my question to you is: how much more advice do you want? 3 pages? 4? Honestly, no offense, but in your price range, there's been a number of good recommendations given, all valid, and all so very close in comparison that it will (here we go yet again) come down to fit and how it feels when you try it out.  If you are waiting for a consensus, you're not going to get it. all the models that have been spoken of are all good bikes. Pick one, or like you agreed, try them out and see what fits best.

Otherwise this is an excercise in futility.  

2008-02-20 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO

dude, what i see in this thread is you need to go test ride and get a feel for the fit on each of these bikes you are contemplating.  you are not going to see a noticeable difference performance wise unless you are a pro athlete trying to win these events, which if you are posting this question i assume you are not.  get the best combination of price and fit you feel comfortable with.  asking for tangible reasons why on a $1500- bike you are not going to find....  yes maybe you will get ultegra over sora, and possibly DA, but (and no offense meant) you are looking at $1500- while a lot of money....sorry but not in the bike world.....

hope that helps...   not trying to bring you down, and most people who post on here tend to add humor with there post.  you could probably post on slowtwich.com and get some hardcore no nonsense answers only....

2008-02-20 3:21 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
2008-02-20 5:34 PM

Veteran
Missoula
Actually, I haven't gotten two pages of great responses. What I have gotten is "buy the Sepcialized so you can win Kona" or "Buy a cervelo." or "shut up and buy a bike already". Apologies, but that's just not quality answers. I have gotten some great responses from people that actually ride these bikes, and are willing to help someone new out. I genuinely appreciate the time people take to help newbies like me who have a ton of seemingly basic and, to you, common sense questions.

I am not unfamiliar with forums. I have been flyfishing for almost 20 years, and post regularily about fly fishing on many forums. There are tons of newbies there as well, not to mention people who consider themselves elitest jerkoffs who give snide and smart answers and think they are something special. No matter which forum I go to, no matter the topic, there will always be these sorts of people. Which is fine. I fully expected it when I asked the question I asked. Thankfully, there are a good amount of people that want to help newbies, and they post great responses built on helping.

I fully intend on paying forward all the great responses I got, and help other people that might not be as knowledgeable as the people who were obviously birthed from their Mothers qualified at Kona. I understand that some people here were never newbies, and were always racing carbon fiber tricycles with Zipp wheels and an aero helmet. For the rest of us, who are doing triathlons as a way to regain fitness, or inspire themselves, I will happily comment on ANYTHING that I have any experience in.

As for slowtwitch, I did learn a couple of good things from my post there. Firstly, the Cervelo S2PL DA has an anodized finish, which is scratch proof. I also learned that DA isn't all that impressive over Ultegra. I learned that Cervelo's customer service is amazing as well. See, that's called intangible and distinct reasons why I would consider a Cervelo over other bikes. Not to mention, 90% of the responses I have gotten are pro Cervelo, with zero negatives. THATS why you post on several sites. You take a cross section of opinions from HELPFUL elite racers down to beginners, and you get one overall consensus. That's called research.

You might not give a crap about $1500, and triathlons might be the only thing in your life that you spend money on. Unfortunately, I work in the financial world, and I am a bit more careful with my money. I want every dollar to be spent in a worthwhile way. If that makes me anal, and you think I don't need to do this, then by all means, use the lil back button, and move onto a thread about Carbon Fiber Kickstands or Titanium water bottles.

Cheers to everyone that truly helped me. I really appreciate your efforts to help me find the best bike I can buy.

2008-02-20 5:35 PM

Veteran
Missoula
Thanks for the links, but those are all 2007 models, and my shop is out of 2007's. thanks anyway.
2008-02-20 5:38 PM

Veteran
Missoula
I would love to go test ride these bikes right now, but it's -3 degrees this evening, and our roads are covered in ice due to a salt shortage. Even if I could test ride, I would still do all this research.

Ok, enough responses, I am off to ride my trainer.

Thanks again.
2008-02-20 5:48 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

The reality is that you are asking about intangibles when it comes to opinions on bikes.  I seriously doubt if anyone that owns one of the bikes you are looking at will give a negative response to it, so of course you will receive a lot of "it's a great bike because I have it."

To be analytical you can do a side by side by side comparison similar to what I've given you for the P2 to look at actual parts.  That is very easy to do by just going to the manufacturer's site and pulling the specs like I did for Cervelo.  Then you can see exactly what sort of bang for your buck you're getting.

And to quote you:

I have asked this question on a few other forums as well ....

Which means you have probably received similar responses in other locations.  The ones you see here are fairly typical across all the different cycling boards.

..... though I might splurge another $200 to go to the Dura Ace, because I hate yellow ....

Honestly .... that is not a very "economical" reason right there.  Saying you might select the Giant because it is a carbon/aluminum mixed frame with lower components so that you can get a better frame makes economical sense, not buying something over another because of a color selection.

2008-02-20 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1224625

Veteran
Missoula
I wasn't looking for negatives, I was looking for positives. "Cervelo has the best warranty." 'Qr has amazing customer service." I specifically asked for reasons to buy one bike over the other, not to disregard one over the other.

And the yellow thing was more off the cuff, as judging by everyone's answers here, the yellow cervelo is actually the bike that makes the most sense (if it fits perfectly).

Also, someone said yellow is the fastest color. (that was another off the cuff remark, just so you know).
2008-02-20 5:56 PM
in reply to: #1224615

User image

Sensei
Sin City

What you may be running into with your question, is that it is VERY broad.  There so many bikes out there, and people have their favorites/brand loyalty.  It would be kin to asking what car should I buy.  All these bikes are GREAT bikes - if I were to win any of them in a raffle, I would be thrilled.  You really can't go wrong.  THE most important thing about a bike is fit and comfort (mentioned over and over again).  You will be putting lots of hours on it.  The rest comes down to personal preference, and I would bet a lot of that is just what appeals to people.  Why do some people like ford over chevy over nissan.  They just do.  There are all great.  I don't think there is anything that makes it a slam dunk for one bike over the next.  If there was, eveyone would be getting it.

If you need a certain comfort level before dropping 1.5k on a bike - I'm not sure what you will hear to get you there.  All I can say is that all of them are good bikes - you won't be making a big mistake on any of them.  Get the one that when you look at it, makes you want to climb on to ride.....

BUT - I'm still partial to Cervelo - maybe for only esoteric reasons - I know they are a good brand, fit me, my eye is just drawn to them when I watch cycling on tv, I find them in a crowd at races...  Now I can't wait to actually buy one this summer......  P2C for me unless I win the lottery, then going with the P3.  BTW - American company...  And some of the best time trialist in the world ride them - maybe not a great reason, but it all adds up.

ALSO, seem to be carried by more bike shops around here - so I can leverage one over the other for a deal and i KNOW that I have a place to take it for repairs/maintenance. 

Edited to add the last sentence (the BTW)

Edited AGAIN to add the last sentence.

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-02-20 6:03 PM

2008-02-20 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1224639

User image

Champion
Aikidoman - 2008-02-20 5:56 PM

What you may be running into with your question, is that it is VERY broad.  There so many bikes out there, and people have their favorites/brand loyalty.  It would be kin to asking what car should I buy.  All these bikes are GREAT bikes - if I were to win any of them in a raffle, I would be thrilled.  You really can't go wrong.  THE most important thing about a bike is fit and comfort (mentioned over and over again).  You will be putting lots of hours on it.  The rest comes down to personal preference, and I would bet a lot of that is just what appeals to people.  Why do some people like ford over chevy over nissan.  They just do.  There are all great.  I don't think there is anything that makes it a slam dunk for one bike over the next.  If there was, eveyone would be getting it.

If you need a certain comfort level before dropping 1.5k on a bike - I'm not sure what you will hear to get you there.  All I can say is that all of them are good bikes - you won't be making a big mistake on any of them.  Get the one that when you look at it, makes you want to climb on to ride.....

BUT - I'm still partial to Cervelo - maybe for only esoteric reasons - I know they are a good brand, fit me, my eye is just drawn to them when I watch cycling on tv, I find them in a crowd at races...  Now I can't wait to actually buy one this summer......  P2C for me unless I win the lottery, then going with the P3.  BTW - American company...  And some of the best time trialist in the world ride them - maybe not a great reason, but it all adds up.

ALSO, seem to be carried by more bike shops around here - so I can leverage one over the other for a deal and i KNOW that I have a place to take it for repairs/maintenance. 

Edited to add the last sentence (the BTW)

Edited AGAIN to add the last sentence.

I second almost everything you said in that post.  I ride a Cervelo, but I could probably ride a comparable bike and would notice little difference in performance.

Oh, and Cervelo's a Canadian company.  

2008-02-20 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1224655

User image

Sensei
Sin City
DerekL - 2008-02-20 4:07 PM

I second almost everything you said in that post.  I ride a Cervelo, but I could probably ride a comparable bike and would notice little difference in performance.

Oh, and Cervelo's a Canadian company.  

I stand corrected - but I'm still going to look it up!  I was trying to remember, during the TdF, there was a trivia question, "which 4 bike brands were american" and Cervelo was on the list and it surprised me.  However, the questioin could have been NORTH american.

The others, FYI, were trek, specialized, and cannondale I believe

2008-02-20 6:14 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

relax dude, it is all good.. All the bikes that you posted offer positives and negatives and all bikes will most likely accommodate your needs as a beginner. They all offer more or less the same package although Giant offers lower end components but its frame appears to be a blend of aluminum and carbon on the frame as well and not only the fork. The other 3 bands have a good value IMO in terms of frame/components.

In terms of fit, I can bet you all of them will work although maybe one model will suit you better but you won't know until you get your measurements and physically get on the bikes. The new models probably won't be all that different from 2007 but if you are picky as to get specific info down to the millimeter about each model then you should also do some research and learn why some components might be better than others, why one package offered by one brand might work better than other, find out about their warranties, etc.

As for the general feedback you'll get from people riding those models it most likely be all positive. As you probably learn at ST, Cervelo is a popular choice IMO not necessarily because it is superior to the other brands or because it has better customer service but because it is IN. Felt comes in a close second as the package and frame is pretty good. IMO QR is a great choice but not as popular, it offers good package plus the geometry gives you most fitting options.  Anyway, just because someone has a particular model it doesn’t mean they can objectively provide a review about it. Why? Maybe they don’t have experience with others models or maybe their riding experience is limited.

When buying a tri bike the most important things for you to consider are: $$, fit, frame material, components and to make sure the geometry will fit your needs. You mentioned at ST that you all bikes fit you, then why not work with the LBS and see what extras they each offer. I think that’s a big plus when buying a bike, to do so in a LBS that might offer you good service down the road...

2008-02-20 6:19 PM
in reply to: #1224610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
Newbie5317 - 2008-02-20 6:34 PM

• ....move onto a thread about Carbon Fiber Kickstands ....

• Don't put a kick stand, even a carbon one, on any bike you end up with

Edited by ohiost90 2008-02-20 6:44 PM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giant vs Felt vs QR vs Cervelo Rss Feed  

of 3