General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Posterior tibial tendon tear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-20 11:04 AM

Subject: Posterior tibial tendon tear
I need some advice on this one. I have sprained my ankle twice before, but nothing so bad that I didn't recover in a few weeks. However this was also before I started doing tris. I was virtually sedentary. I started working out again last June, did my first tri in August and had just started gearing up for the season three weeks ago when I popped my ankle again. Long story short, I ignored it, (it didn't swell and really didn't hurt too much right away) but after a few attempts at running the pain became intolerable - finally went to the orthopedist and got the above diagnosis. Am going for an MRI this week and meeting back with the doc next Tuesday. He is leaning towards surgery. Anyone have any ideas about alternatives and recovery time? Am in an air cast and on crutches but have to remove it to drive and I have virtually no help (am a single mom) so rehabbing is going to be intereresting.
Thanks for any advice you can give, and great site btw, glad to have somewhere to go for all I need.
Beth

2008-02-20 7:55 PM
in reply to: #1223470

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: RE: Posterior tibial tendon tear
is it a complete tear?? one possibility could be therapy, but I'm a little biased.... may want to look at strengthening ankle a little (even if surgery is still looked at, a stronger ankle going in is a stronger ankle coming out). just a suggestion - sorry to hear of the issue with the PTT. Good luck...
2008-02-23 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1224853

Not sure about complete tear - had the mri, seeing the doc Tuesday. Am concerned because it keeps getting worse. I think I am just whining now. lol. Thanks for the input. Will check back when I have a more definitive dx from my ortho.
2008-02-23 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1223470

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Have to agree with travisb.....going in for shoulder surgery (rotator cuff and partial collar bone removal) due to impingement syndrome on Tuesday.....doc was clear that my recovery would be faster than others because of the muscles in my shoulder.

Some advice based upon my experiences:

1) Ask lots of questions.......if you don't understand a word, a process or procedures.....stop the doctor and ask him/her to explain that in plain simple language.

2) Ask for copies of everything. You may need it for back-up for insurance and information also helps you do your independent research.....the internet can be useful, but don't jump to conclusions.

3) Ask for the alternatives.....if the doc is going to do a procedure....ask why and are there alternatives?

4) Ask about side affects......this was in relation to cortizone shots. Doc was about to put a third cortizone shot into my arm.....I stopped him and asked if there are any negatives to too many cortizone shots.....his response was that there is research that indicates that cortizone sometimes weakens muscle and tendons......may impede recovery.

5) Ask what is next......don't leave the office without knowing what is the next step and when/how long.

6) Ask who is going to do the next step (if it isn't obvious).

The other thing I would do is keep a file which contains a diary of your treatment.....although the doctor is responsible for your care, he/she sees many patients.....they can't possibly keep track of all of the patients' details......take on that responsibility..... when I meet with the doctor, I take control up front.....I recap my situation, the preliminary diagnosis and the most recent treatment. Also determine your level of pain.....on a scale of 1 to 10....10 being most painful, indicate to him/her the level of pain you are in.

Hope this helps!

Best of luck and keep us posted. I'll need something to do while I'm recovering.

2008-02-23 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1230948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Beth426 - 2008-02-23 1:27 PM

Not sure about complete tear - had the mri, seeing the doc Tuesday. Am concerned because it keeps getting worse. I think I am just whining now. lol. Thanks for the input. Will check back when I have a more definitive dx from my ortho.

With all due and utmost respect.....you know what pain is......you mentioned being a mother. You've given birth! Although I am unable to give birth because of my gender, my wife explained that there is no way to explain the pain during child birth. Whining? I think not! If it is hurting you, I trust your guage in pain!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Posterior tibial tendon tear Rss Feed