General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Posterior tibial dysfunction Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-20 9:19 PM

User image

Subject: Posterior tibial dysfunction
Last October I ran my first traithalon (on the 1 year anniversary date of my open heart surgery). About halfway through the run I had almost unbarable pain on the lower-inside of my ankle. I was afraid if I stopped it would tighten and I wouldn't finish so I just delt with it. As soon as I crossed the finish line I sat down and that's when it got worse. Long story short......I have had problems with it ever since. I have a plate/screws on the ankle in question from a nasty break in 1995. So I went to the surgeon thinking it was the plate, but he told me two things...(One)- that it was posterial tibial tyndon disfunction, and (two)-no races (running) this spring. Since the second thing he told me is out of the question, I really need some advice. He told me that there are 4 stages of the degeneration of the tendon and that I am in stage 1.

Also, if I have to....What is the shame level regarding walking/running during the run phase of the race.

Thank you

2008-02-21 7:25 PM
in reply to: #1225058

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Posterior tibial dysfunction
FIrst of all posterior tib problems are fairly serious.  Mostly because if it ruptures there is not a good surgical solution.  My best advice for you is go to an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon.  Not a podiatrist not a general ortho.  An orthopedist who has specialized training in foot an ankle surgery.  Another opinion is allways good
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Posterior tibial dysfunction Rss Feed