Houston Area Women's Center
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 29s
Overall Rank = 48/201
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

got up and took a shower. kinda took my time putzing around and had four pieces of toast with my favorite bread, Oatnut. even splurged with a special treat...BUTTER! threw my stuff together and took off. I was to meet with my coach from last year, she was given 20 race entries and she had my packet so i had to be sure to find her before the race. She named our team Nagle, I think this was the name of the sponsor that gave her the free entries.
Event warmup:

Coach Bonnie was late so i was getting nervous of course, race wasn't to start for an hour though so i was sure i'd see her before too long. she came walking up with the crew. her brother Johnny, his wife Andrea, her husband Matt, our chiropractor, and a few other team members started floating in (Jamie, Allison, and some names i don't know well enuf yet). we all took off and ran a mile at about 7:30 or so to get warmed up. it was fairly cool out so i had on 2 layers, a fleece over a long sleeved technical top and i started sweating pretty quickly. ended up carrying the fleece and my beanie after half a mile. had a little water when we were done and after a short wait we were off to the start line. i positioned myself close to Johnny, Jamie, and Bonnies daughter Virginia. i knew i wouldn't be able to stay with Johnny, he's a friggin jet but Jamie is a good match for me. Virginia, who's 12, also is a missile and i knew if i kept her in sight i would do well.
Run
  • 23m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

this was GREAT. i proved to myself that sometimes it is really all in the mind. my brain kept telling me that things would feel better if i would slow down but the legs weren't complaining so i just tried to stay with it. i kept Virgie in sight for a long time, was right behind her for the first 3/4 of a mile or so but she ran away from me and i was kinda in a no mans land by myself for a long time. like maybe all the really fast people were in front but all the rest were behind me. Allison went by looking really strong at the turnaround, the Polar told me i was in the mid 7's so i knew i wasn't fading too bad, she's just fast. youth! at about the 2 1/4 mile mark Jamie went by in stealth mode, maybe she didn't see me and i marvelled at how easy she was making it look. running with the Polar helped alot because when i would look at it and see 7:08 and 7:13 i knew a PR was gonna happen as long as i didn't give in. the one big hill was horrible! i had passed the 2 mile marker though so all i had to do was hold on. after the hill my breathing changed from every three steps to two steps. i tried every step but that was too fast with the cadence so high so i settled on 2. finished strong and let out a combination glee/relief warcry that i heard at least one spectator laugh about.
What would you do differently?:

when i am very fresh it is very easy to run fast. if i take out too fast i think the amount i slow down may be larger than if i paced myself better and stayed more consistent. Jamie and Allison both caught me in the second half. they started slower and stayed strong. incidently, they both won their age groups. Bonnie won hers too, she finished 13 seconds behind me (but she didn't see me Thank Goodness)
Post race
Warm down:

straight to the food table where i proceeded to wolf down two lettuce wraps from Pei Wei.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

getting out too fast. Polar had me in the 6:11 to 6:40 range for the first 7 minutes.

Event comments:

Funnest part was when i was talking to the radio DJ that was doing all the announcing after the race. i teased her when she told me she'd had several of the wraps and she hinted i should ask her out to dinner and it wouldn't be so bad. told me i could take her to the "dollar menu". she was pretty good looking, i may have to start listening to that station!

Last updated: 2008-02-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:29 | 03.11 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 48/201
Performance: Good
HR was up to 180 in the first 2 1/2 minutes. i didn't look at it until the turnaround. if i had i might have gotten scared or psyched out, i didn't think it could go that fast! hit a high of 185, probably on one of the hills, and averaged 180.
Course: out and back along Allen parkway. there always seemed to be a gentle grade either up or down and one HORRIBLE hill where we had to go under an underpass.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-23 11:54 AM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: Race Against Violence

2008-02-23 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1230860

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Race Against Violence

So are you dating the radio DJ? 

Big time congrats on a PR and a podium finish!  Looks like you're back in running form.  This tri season is going to treat you very well I think.

2008-02-23 7:11 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Super job, Tag! And way to keep pushing even though you went out fast! Congratulations on a very well executed race and of course some hardware.
2008-02-23 7:45 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
Way to go, Rob!  Congrats on your first hardware, there'll be more to come, I'm sure.    You'll be walking on cloud 9 for awhile.  There's something to be said about having a coach named Bonnie....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Race Against Violence Rss Feed