Ken Long and Associates
22F / -6C
Overcast
Total Time = 39m 59s
Overall Rank = 227/667
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/47
Pre-race routine:

I live exactly 1 mile from the start line so I jogged there right before the start. I ate oatmeal, had coffee and my FRS drink as usual and layered up!
Event warmup:

see above
Run
  • 39m 59s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

This is a PR for me for this distance. I also was battling the following: ate too big of a dinner, hips and calves sore, productive cough with chest pain from the cough, side stitch at mile 2, VMO cramp at mile 4.25.
What would you do differently?:

Start further up front- I had to dodge some slower folk but maybe it was good and kept me from going out too fast.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged the mile back home after eating a banana and a fazoli's delicious buttery breadstick.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am at the end of a 4-week build and the end of my highest volume training week for Ironman. I am a little fatigued. Other than that, just my own cardiovascular system!

Event comments:

Would do it again, but I don't plan on being here next year! I am happy for the PR.

Last updated: 2008-02-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:59 | 05 miles | 07m  min/mile
Age Group: 4/47
Overall: 227/667
Performance: Good
Avg HR was 180, although the HRM malfunctioned and didn't read theh HR for an unknown stretch of time during the 3rd mile. 1st mile was 8:28, 2nd mile thru 5th miles were progressively faster although my watch does not have a lap button so I don't have exact #'s.
Course: Through downtown Indy, mostly flat with a few very slight grades. Fast course. Water at 3/4 mile (skipped it), 2.5 mile, (took a sip) and 4.25 mile (skipped it).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-23 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Polar Bear Run

2008-02-23 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1231157

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Polar Bear Run

great job on the PR.  i had one today too so i understand how happy you are about it.  you're way faster than me though.  i'm tryin to get to 7 minutes!  good job!

2008-02-23 7:55 PM
in reply to: #1231157

Regular
Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: Polar Bear Run

Great job getting that PR today!  Fazolis was good after the race wasn't it?  Great job today!!! Good luck in your training!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Polar Bear Run Rss Feed