Running Room
-9C / 16F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had my usual bowl of oatmeal and one cup of coffee. I planned on eating a couple of pieces of toast with honey but opted out. I drank 16oz gatorade - went with the retro lemon/lime flavor! Had a quick shower applied generous amounts of body glide and got dressed.

On the bottom:
Compression shorts
Cool weather tights

On the top
cool max long sleeve 1/4 zip mock neck jersey
GTS technical short sleeve shirt
Running Jacket

Light gloves
Light skull cap

Event warmup:

Arrived 45 min early. Walked around the nature center, I had never been out there...what a fantastic place! Hit the washroom at 9:45 and headed to the start/finish line. walked around and did some light running on the spot until it was go time.
Run
  • 2h 22m 1s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 44s  min/km
Comments:

My plan was to go at a steady pace non stop through the entire course. At 1:45 I felt my left hamstring tweek on me. I needed to walk! I was on a nice pace to finish around 2:05 - 2:10. The last segment of the course I covered in 20 minutes on the outward stretch...it took me about 35 on the inward finish due to my hobbled condition. I felt it was not going to do me any good to push it any harder than I had to. It is the same hamstring that was giving me fits over November and December. I thought I had it healed. My last couple of LSD runs leading up to this event I finished comfortably running continuous...guess it is back to anti-inflams and tonnes of stretching AGAIN!!!

The heart rate...WTF...I was standing at the start/finish line just before the race started at 93 bpm. The gun goes off and I look at it after about 5 minutes of running and it's at 171 bpm. I think to myself that can't be good! I slowed my pace to what my normal LSD pace is and it goes to 168 bpm. I usually run in the mid to high 150's. Thought maybe the funky new tunes on the ipod were to blame (hehehe) The whole race I had trouble keeping it in the high 160's it kept wanting to creep back up to the low 170's. When I felt my hammy tweek I walked immediately and within a couple of seconds it was back down to the 140's...wow!
What would you do differently?:

I think one less layer may have affected my HR in a positive way. I think that since my HR was doing such funky things right off the hop I should have reassessed my plan on running a continuous run. I think that had I taken a walk break here or there it would have settled the HR. Not sure if that would have helped my hamstring situation...but as the song says: "the hip bones connected to the knee bone, the knee bones connected to the ankle bone..." The elevated HR may have put some undue stress on my legs...who knows.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and stretching. Protein shake when I got home with 3 anti-inflams right away and my old friend the ice pack.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hamstring going and HR issues.

Event comments:

I need to really think about what is important when racing...and that at this point is finishing healthy. Pre-race goals are good however they are not cut in stone and if they must be modified on race day so be it. JUST LIKE IN TOURNAMENT GOLF...I SHOULD KNOW THIS!!!!!

Last updated: 2008-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
02:22:01 | 21.1 kms | 06m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
HR was off the charts for me and I have NO CLUE WHY! Average:168 High: 180 I may have had one too many layers on.
Course: Flat, snow covered, footing was a little dicey in some areas. Overall pretty much what you would expect if you run outside in the winter in Winnipeg.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-24 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Hypothermic Half Marathon

2008-02-24 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1232171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Hypothermic Half Marathon

Nice work!

I know what you mean about HR. Mine always races before a race. Ironically.

Got her done! Now celebrate. And hey! at least it wasn't -45 windchill like it was the the Hypothermic here in Rhymes-with-fun, SK.

Recover well! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hypothermic Half Marathon Rss Feed