American Lung Association
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 31s
Overall Rank = 979/2655
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 76/351
Pre-race routine:

Got to the Hancock way too early, mostly due to the fact that I had no idea what you had to do, and the fact that Marc went off 45 minutes before me. We got there around 9:00, and he went off at 10:30, and I was at 11:15. We just checked our gear, and then sat around stretching, waiting for our turn to stand in line...there was A LOT of standing in lines today!
Event warmup:

Stretch, sit.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank the water they gave me, and ate my banana.

Marc and I went to the expo across the street, and got some food

Event comments:

Going into this race, I had NO idea what to expect. I had a bet with Pat to see which floor I could "run" to before I couldn't run anymore. I said 16th, and he said 24th, and boy, were we both wrong. I made it to the 4th floor, before I realized that I wasn't going to be running up any more flights. Each "leg" of the flight had about 10 stairs, so 20 total per floor. They were a little on the steep side, not too bad. It was like running into a wall when I got to the 4th floor though...my chest hurt.

They sprayed listerine into your mouth before you went up, and they said this helps with breathing, but Marc and I agree, it just made your chest burn. It got worse obviously the higher up I went.

I was a little nervous about whether or not I would have a claustraphobia feeling with the amount of people, and the stairways, but that was fine. I passed a bunch of people who were having a harder time than me.

I probably could have started skipping stairs to get a faster time, but my chest really did burn, and so I chose not to.

My times were:

First 47 floors: 10:38
Last 47 floors: 8:52

Overall, obviously besides the already mentioned chest burning, I felt ok. Side pain did hurt a little, no where near how it does on a run sometimes, but I did feel it off and on. Legs were ok. Knees felt fine.

Above there wasn't anywhere to list the Male/Female results, so I thought I would list them here:

263/1200

Last updated: 2008-02-24 12:00 AM
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No