View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fountain Hills, Arizona
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00. 15 min before the alarm. Had some tea, yogurt, muffin and a clif bar. Pumped up the tires and did my standard pre-race "evacuation".
Event warmup:

Easy jog for 10-15 min with about 10 strides.
Run
  • 24m 53s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

At least this year I was better prepared for a quicker pace. Last year everyone blazed out of the start, and I was like..WTF? The run was pretty good, not too hard and the last part is down hill which makes for some good speed with low effort.
What would you do differently?:

Get in better shape.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Since I don't plan on wearing speed laces at Ironman, I didn't wear them at this race. It probably cost me some time. Other than that, no problems finding my bike.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 10s
  • 21 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, with my new (new to me) bike and fancy race wheels and a year of training under my belt, I was over a minute slower than last year when I rode my '87 Cannondale (RIP), with 12 speeds and no aero bars. I'm pretty bummed out about the bike split. I was scared to go fast down the hills, because I pretty much have only ridden my bike off the trainer at SOMA and on one ride with some ESCKTC folks last month. People were flying by me on the dowhill in full aero position, but I really didn't want to wreck and I just didn't feel comfortable over about 28 mph, I stayed up on my bars (didn't ride the brakes). I did pass several people on the up hill sections, but I don't think I made the kind of gaps that other people made on me on the down hill sections.
What would you do differently?:

Get more comfortable on my bike to go faster, or sell it all on ebay and buy a huffy which I would probably go faster on.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Nothing special in T2. They had these new bike racks that have slots for your wheel instead of the standard bars like most races have. It worked pretty well except for one small problem. If someone puts their wheel in the wrong slot at T2 (not hard to do, because they weren't pre-marked), then it creates a musical chairs type scenario so that everyone else on the side that got shorted has to put theirs in the wrong slot too. Because the racks were very full, the last person in was left with no where to rack their bike. They need to do some sort of labeling system so people don't accidentaly put their bikes in the wrong slot.
Run
  • 22m 35s
  • 2.7 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were toast, worse than SOMA. I just couldn't get them to move. Ironically, they finally started to feel better on the steep hill about 1.5-2 miles in. There was a dude going really slow in front of me down the steep decline, I probably could have picked up a little time if he wasn't there, but not much.
Post race
Warm down:

None.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not in good enough shape. Generally bummed out about doing worse than last year which was only my second multisport event ever.

Last updated: 2007-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:53 | 03.5 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/35
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Single track trail with cactus and similar desert plants.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:47
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:09:10 | 21 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/35
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: An easy climb for a mile or two out of transition, then a mile or two of flat and then two or three miles of down hill. The course then generally rolls up and down several mild inclines out to the turnaround.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:35 | 02.7 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/35
Performance: Below average
Course: First part was on pavement, then on some loose gravel and a gradual downhill with another jaunt around the desert on a dirt single track. Finally there is a very steep, but short hill and then back up the loose gravel and onto the pavement for the finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes