Iraq
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up an hour before and quaffed some MET Endurance Protein drink. Prepared my gear and was out the door. I remembered my ID this time; hooray for small victories.
Event warmup:

Light jog up to the start point, about a mile, with WAY too much clothing on. I had a decent sweat worked up by the time I toed the line.
Run
  • 21m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out quick to get through the "posers" (i.e. the folks who have to be right at the front so they can run the 11:00 miles and gum things up for everyone else.) I started out strong (6:30 when I looked at my Garmin) and dodged folks. Then I "settled" in at about 7:00 and held on.

I felt much more comfortable than usual, probably a result of all the base training. I was pushing but it didn't burn when I was breathing and my legs were screaming at me, they were only whining.

I would notice my pace falling off from time to time. When this happened, all I had to do was re-engage my abs (I was sticking my butt out) and increase my stride rate. I was definitely able to hold better form in this race than any other. Another benefit of longer, slower runs.

The time above is a PR*. (The asterisk is for the 18:57 I ran in high school and will probably never duplicate. This is a PR for recent memory.) I PR'd by about 10 seconds over the race just last month. I'm maybe 2-3 pounds lighter than then, so that could be part of it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. These races aren't even really C races; they're just something fun to do.
Post race
Warm down:

Light jog and walk for the .75 miles back to my hooch. With the warm-up and cool-down, I logged about 4.5 miles total, pretty close to my mileage goal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some extra weight and a lack of speed work. I'm working on the weight; the lack of speed work is by design.

Last updated: 2008-02-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:32 | 03.11 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
More to follow...once I pull it off my Garmin...
Course: "Full" 5k course on city streets. Flat and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-02-26 5:10 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: Black History Month 5k

2008-02-26 6:40 AM
in reply to: #1235382

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Black History Month 5k
GREAT PR! The training there is harder than it is here (air quality), so you'll be rocking even MORE when you get home!  Way to go!
2008-02-26 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1235382

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black History Month 5k Rss Feed