General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-02-26 8:34 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches?

See the "Should I get a coach " thread for background.

I am really interested in your responses so please be honest and say what you feel.

2008-02-26 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1235602

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Subject: RE: Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches?
I have no animosity against coaches. I just know that as a father of 3, owner of 2 dogs (and a rabbit), owner of a new truck, paing on a BMW (wife's taste is more expensive then mine!) etc. etc. my priority is to pay the "have to" bills. I wish I could afford 2-300 dollars a month for a coach. I have even pondered the cheaper plans, but I realise why buy those more expensive plans when I can buy the book?
I think you will find people don't dislike coaches, just that the money needs and can be used elsewhere. If I were a pro or at the edge of stepping on the podium, I would get a coach. Until then, I just can't justify that cash amount for what I am doing.

Scott
2008-02-26 8:44 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

I not sure of any animosity towards Coaching.  I'm guessing if you did a poll here, probably 60% of the people use some form of coaching (either live or via internet).

The question each person has to ask themselves (not the group) is how does this fit in my budget?  If you can afford it, it's great.

2008-02-26 8:45 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I don't see much animosity.  People were asked of they would hire a coach given a certain set of circumstances.  Many said no--mostly for monetary reasons.  Some said it would depend on a number of factors.  I didn't see any saying 'coaches are crooks' or 'coaches suck'.  I think you're reading too much into it.

2008-02-26 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I initially read that thread with a negative tone too.  However, I re-read it focusing on what limited info the OP gave us. I think the responses (possibly) were more geared to the fact that OP is likely green to the sport and racing short distance tris. Saying that, I am certainly not advocating that a coach wouldn't be helpful in the situation.  A coach, as you know, can help just about anyone achieve his or her goals no matter how big or small they are. 

I took the thread to be asking the quintessential question, at what point (and cost) should I consider hiring a coach?  And to everyone that time and cost is different.

As far as the responses, after my re-read, I felt like most people were saying that there is an abundance of free information out there and one could train effectively (maybe not AS efficiently) without wasting spending the money. 

I personally have nothing against coaches except the ones in my area 

2008-02-26 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1235618

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

NavyTRIChief - 2008-02-26 9:40 AM  owner of a new truck, paing on a BMW (wife's taste is more expensive then mine!) etc. etc. my priority is to pay the "have to" bills

Good point, but I'm not sure a new truck and a BMW is a "have to" bill. I think of have to bills as groceries, gas, electricity, and water...

Just sayin'

FWIW, I have a coach and I use my monthly  "allowance" money to pay for her. I thought I couldn't afford one before, and since I am MOP I thought why bother, but the improvements I've seen, the consistency, and the stress relief from not having to plan out everything more than make up for the $ I spend every month. I figure I'm not having to pay weight watchers every month, I'm not paying a physical therapist for overtraining injuries, and she's a friend to boot!

2008-02-26 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
Rocket Man - 2008-02-26 9:34 AM

See the "Should I get a coach " thread for background.

I am really interested in your responses so please be honest and say what you feel.

I reject your premise that there is animostiy towards coaching.

Further, I'm some what baffled how you were offended by the responses in the other thread.

Edited by ohiost90 2008-02-26 8:57 AM
2008-02-26 8:59 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-26 8:59 AM

Canada, Quebec, near Montreal
I have a personal trainer at the gym. It's quite expensive for what looks like really easy work but I still appreciate it. If I ever become serious about doing triathlons I will definitely consider coaching either online or with a group to minimize the cost.
2008-02-26 9:00 AM

Well, I don't really have any "unnecessary" expenses (I don't own a home, I don't have a car that costs more than I can afford, etc), but I also don't make a ton of money and I need to be saving. Right now, for my particular goals, I don't feel as though spending a couple hundred dollars a month on a coach is a wise financial decision. It has nothing to do with how I feel about coaching and coaches. I simply can't afford it.

And it seems as though the answer to every question around here is "hire a coach". I really, really don't think that those people realize that some of us just cannot do that!

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-02-26 9:00 AM
2008-02-26 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1235662

Runner
PennState - 2008-02-26 9:59 AM

Yeah, get over it. There is no real animosity against coaches. I am a physician, and there are far more people who are 'anti-physicain' than anti-coach... it's just life. People are entitled to their opinions, even when they aren't the same as yours

Take it all less seriously... you'll live longer

Whatever, you quack. 

2008-02-26 9:04 AM

Giver
Yeah...teh OP in the other thread was pretty specific...busy, want to get better at sprints. I don't think you need a coach to do that, unless you're already performing at a pretty high level. If you're a novice, you can get all the information you need, and that coupled with any kind of consistent training will get you better.
2008-02-26 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1235662

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Yeah, get over it. There is no real animosity against coaches. I am a physician, and there are far more people who are 'anti-physicain' than anti-coach... it's just life. People are entitled to their opinions, even when they aren't the same as yours

Gee, thanks "get over it" sounds like great advice.

I think some of you are missing my point (maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post), my purpose for starting this thread was to find out why people feel as they do about coaching. There have been several threads on here over the past few months regarding coaching and there is always a vocal group that chimes in about how many books are available or free plans off the internet, etc. and how you should spend your money on something else or the like. 

There is always something lost in translation when things are written versus spoken, but the tone of some of these posts (at least to me) were that you were getting "ripped off" by using a coach when there was so much free information out there. I am just curious as to if these folks have had a poor coacing experience or what makes them think as they do.

2008-02-26 9:12 AM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
As others have posted I think the thread reads more about what is best for you personally. I can honestly say, I would not spend $200 a month on coaching. That's almost my car note for the month. I mean, I understand most people make more money than I do But it's all about what seems reasonable to you. I would never pay for a coach when I can get the info for free. Not saying anything bad about coaches or coaching becuase I know they can be good. I will say though, I am lucky because one of my best friends is a "coach" and well I get the info for free. But I pay attention so I can make my own schedule when I need to. It's not a formal coach/coachee relationship. heh. I think maybe you are taking their responses offensive because you are a coach and maybe you're not being as objective as you could. I don't know you, so this is total speculation.

Pro
Andover
I’m not sure there is animosity toward coaches as much as toward some of the athletes using them.

I think, after a while, people without coaches get tired of coached athletes saying, “My coach said this. My coach said that. My coach said not to push too hard when I take a dump as my HR shouldn’t go over Z2. …”

Personally, I do think that if you hire a coach you should trust him/her and do as prescribed. One thing that “gets me” is when someone challenges their coach and goes on-and-on about why he/she should do other than the coach suggested. If you feel you need a coach then shut the he11 up and do what your coach tells you to do!

I know of one person on BT that wore their coach down so much I swear the coach kept that person on their program just to take their money as the prescribed workouts always fit what that person would do on their on. Seriously, I look at the workouts and laugh—and I’m no coach.

Pro
Parker, CO

I have nothing against coaches.  I just question why so many middle aged recreational athletes feel that they need one.  I've been running and doing tris for over 20-years and have had my ups and downs with motivation but never have paid a coach.  I think for many it might be discipline and encouragement. 

Like many of the others on this site, I have a family and I need to be careful on how much time and money I put in to this sport.  My wife is a stay at home mom, so our budget is tight.  I am not about to short-change my kids activities or college fund to pay a coach!

I'm not going to get in to a rant about this; I have nothing against coaches.  A good coach is a good resource for athletes that are unsure about developing a training plan, injury prevention, nutrition, etc.  But in my case, I run and occasionally do triathlons for fun.  Maybe a coach would help me improve my performance, maybe not.  I don't think a coach would make training or racing any more enjoyable for me. 

The guy who started this topic on the other thread is training for a sprint.  I don't know his background or what kind of shape he is in.  But really, I think the average person with the "desire" to finish a sprint can be successful without a coach.

2008-02-26 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1235689

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I think for most people it's a simple cost/benefit analysis.  Each individual will have a unique analysis and weight factors differently.  For many people, they come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the money for them.  And when people on BT ask 'What would you do...', they respond with what they would do.

2008-02-26 9:17 AM

Edited by JeepFleeb 2008-02-26 9:28 AM
2008-02-26 9:21 AM

Giver

Rocket Man - 2008-02-26 10:09 AM ...my purpose for starting this thread was to find out why people feel as they do about coaching.

People have different views because everyone has different goals in this sport. Obviously, if you can't afford a coach you're not gonna get a coach. But let's say you can. if your goals are to have fun, be fit and complete shorter races, why would you *need* a coach? If you're a novice and you just want to get better (maybe not be the best you can be, just improve), why get a coach (given the resources on this site)?

On the other hand, if you're type A and want to be the best you can be, or if you're good but want to be competitive, or if you want to complete a longer-distance race, but have no idea how to go about it...those people are going to have different opinions about the necessities of coaches.

Bottom line: some people are DIYers, others want their hand held.

2008-02-26 9:23 AM

2008-02-26 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1235670

2008-02-26 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1235679

Elite
New City, New York
  • cuz anybody can call themselves a coach,
  • it's not necessary for most, tho many make it seem so,
  • a "Beginner" site makes for easy pickings for the uniformed,
  • contrary to popular belief, many self coached athletes do just fine, actually don't get injured and in fact, place in thier age groups

FWIW my aniomosity, as it were, is directed at the on-line coaching community. I'm cynical by nature but it seems to me there are many in cyberspace willing to impart thier "knowledge" for a fee. I think know the same information is available is available for free. Hey, if people need others to provide motivation so be it. I only hope they make informed decisions and, in most cases, actually meet the person.

Edited by rollinbones 2008-02-26 9:27 AM
2008-02-26 9:27 AM

Master
Cambridge, MA

No animosity here, nor did I feel any reading the prior thread as a part-time trainer and dabbler in coaching.   I think most of us are too resourceful and too cheap (or "financially prudent" to put more money into our already pricey little hobby of triathlons. 

I saw no one saying that coaches rip people off or that most coaches are bogus.  Everyone just has different priorities. 

2008-02-26 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1235736

Runner
PennState - 2008-02-26 10:25 AM
Scout7 - 2008-02-26 10:00 AM

Whatever, you quack.

oh no another male that won't see me

You'd probably just tell me my HR was too high, anyway. 

2008-02-26 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1235732

Pro
Woodstock,GA
PennState - 2008-02-26 10:23 AM
Rocket Man - 2008-02-26 10:09 AM

I d

Gee, thanks "get over it" sounds like great advice.

I think some of you are missing my point (maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post), my purpose for starting this thread was to find out why people feel as they do about coaching. There have been several threads on here over the past few months regarding coaching and there is always a vocal group that chimes in about how many books are available or free plans off the internet, etc. and how you should spend your money on something else or the like. 

There is always something lost in translation when things are written versus spoken, but the tone of some of these posts (at least to me) were that you were getting "ripped off" by using a coach when there was so much free information out there. I am just curious as to if these folks have had a poor coacing experience or what makes them think as they do.

Sorry man, most of posts are truly 'tongue in cheek'. I actually pay a coach for myself

I think I was just implying that there isn't anti-coach animosity... just that some people don't want to spend their money that way.

I didn't take it the wrong way...hence the smiley face at the end! I know you are a coached athlete and you are very informed about training and racing, I value your opinion.

I think the whole written vs spoken thing again...

To the rest of you thanks for your responses! I initially started coaching and got certified because I enjoyed helping my friends out and watching them get better. In the last 4 years it has become basically another full time job that I love. I have great athletes that I coach and I can't tell you how much joy it gives me to see them acheive their goals. I (and the other coaches that I know of on here....aniime (Jorge), Adventure Bear (Suzanne), and gsmcloud (Greg)) all are knowledgeble people and work hard to educate ourselves to be the best coaches that we can be. I just payed for the USAT Level II clinic (to the tune of $615) in April and this is after paying $350 for the USA Cycling Level II in November. I would hope that I could tell you more than a book or generic piece of paper!

Thanks again for your responses.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Rss Feed  

of 6