Colorado Runner Events LLC
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 00m
Overall Rank = 320/362
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 83/96
Pre-race routine:

I did the Chi Running "looseners", stretched, rolled IT bands, quads and glutes on the foam roller. Stopped for a venti sized green tea latte / nonfat at Starbucks.
Event warmup:

Ran to and from my car to get things I had forgotten : )
Run
  • 1h 53m 59s
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a gorgeous day and I really enjoyed being outside (except for maybe the first and last miles).
What would you do differently?:

Bring sunscreen with so I can reapply it often. I had sweat-proof stuff on, but it obviously wasn't sweat-proof enough for me. I have lots of freckles and a sunburn on my face now. Maybe bring a hat, although it was really windy at a few points and I saw people losing theirs.

I would also have more porta-potties available if I were organizing the race. Several of us were late, and I felt guilty taking so much time in the one I puked in.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat as much of the free foot as I can, eat all the food in my car, drink alot, stretch, go for a bike ride, sit in a hot tub. Leg drains.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My right foot, left hip flexor, nausea at the end. Otherwise, I was working on my form, especially the planting of my right foot (still recovering from surgery) and going faster would have most likely thrown that off.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this one! However, the goody bag would rate only a 2. It had a magazine I already have 2 copies of from the Frosty's Frozen Five and Rudolph's Revenge runs, and some other papery stuff I threw away. I really like to have some edible samples in my goody bags. Then again, the shirt was extra-nice, so I'll give it a 2 instead of a 0 : )

Last updated: 2008-02-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:59 | 10 miles | 11m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 83/96
Overall: 320/362
Performance: Good
My HR was super high (185 - 187) for the first mile, possibly because I was in the bathroom (tossing my cookies) when it started. I was trying to catch up, was unsure whether I should really run given the nausea situation, etc. Miles 2 through 8 were much better as I realized I felt fine after the bathroom incident, nothing hurt, etc. HR ranged from 155 - 175. Mile 8.5 - 9 my left hip flexor and right foot became very sore, at the mile 9 marker I started to feel nauseous again. HR back up to 181 - 187.
Course: Very nice! Some minor hills--mostly from mile 5 to mile 7. Some mud at mile 3.5. Otherwise a mix of dirt path and pavement. Overall it was pretty flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-26 12:34 PM

User image

Colorado
Subject: Snowman Stampede - 10 Mile

2008-02-26 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1236316

Subject: RE: Snowman Stampede - 10 Mile
Way to go on the race!  Glad you enjoyed it!!!
2008-02-28 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1236316

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Snowman Stampede - 10 Mile
how does one run and smoke? interesting idea

Great job! Keep running, stop smoking, and running gets to be a lot more fun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snowman Stampede - 10 Mile Rss Feed