General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't Take It Personally Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-27 12:49 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: Don't Take It Personally

There have been lots of testy posts going on lately on BT and I have been thinking about where it all comes from. I am looking at this from my perspective, as a MOP two-time IMer that is preparing for IM #3 and hoping to see a move to FOP in the next 2 years. So, if anyone cares to listen to what my perspective is, then read on.
The animosity towards coaches is more clearly defined, IMO, as an animosity towards straight-talking, mostly FOP members of BT that aren't concerned with your feelings. When you post a thread and ask for advice, you are going to get it! You are going to hear some hard truths, you will get some sympathy, you will get some BS. If you trust your coach and won't fire him, then ask HIM for advice. Or just ask BT for opinion, not advice. And value the opinions you get, whether they are similar to your or not. Every opinion you get offers something of value, whether it is a dissenting but well-supported idea that you could maybe pass on to others who are curious about similar issues, or whether it is that person who tells you to "just have fun and don't stress" even though you know your personality and know that for you the fun comes from improving. The most valuable advice/opinions you will get on BT are the ones that hurt! If someone tells you that your swimming/biking/running sucks because you just aren't putting in enough volume, or aren't doing intervals, or aren't being consistent, then LISTEN! Stop, breath, be objective. In other words, don't take ANYTHING personally. You will not improve as an athlete or grow as a person if you cannot be objective about yourself. If it hurts to be told to HTFU, then that is probably exactly what you needed to hear! I get told to HTFU all the time and it only hurts me when it's really true! Sometimes I am feeling so sorry for myself that I want to punch people in the face when they tell me to HTFU, but that is when I need to hear it most!
Jorge (amiine) is my coach and I am sure many of you will be shocked to hear me say this, but the truth is the one thing I would fault him for as a coach is that he is not mean enough! I know he comes across as a jerk (along with a few others that regularly post "mean" things on BT) to some of you, and some of you may say he doesn't understand BOPers or is always trying to get the last word or is always starting arguments, but the truth is what we could all use is more people like him on BT who will tell us the truth...that we almost all universally SUCK...when compared to our potential, that is. But sometimes we just can't hear that, and that brings me back to when I was training for my first IM. I know for sure that at that time I had a hard time seeing myself objectively as an athlete. In many ways you have to ignore the reality of your fitness and just keep going. I had a different coach then, and when he told me I would finish in 14:30 I was pissed! I thought that was slow! But I did finish in 14:30 and I was happy with that! But looking back on it now, I can see that I was training to finish and I REALLY sucked compared to where I am now, which STILL really sucks compared to where I want to go, which is to hopefully KQ in a year or two.
I had a good lesson in humility in Hawaii. I was surrounded by fantastic athletes and was coached by a dude who really knows how to tell the truth! It was brutal, but I have already signed up for next year. I was told I sucked, I was told my running form was so terrible he couldn't even LOOK at me. It was harsh! But I didn't take it personally. I was happy to be told the truth. I felt like that one week of honesty broke down some walls for me and turned me into a different kind of athlete, and it inspired in me a belief that I COULD KQ if I wanted it badly enough. Nothing will get you farther than turning off your heart and accepting criticism from objective, knowledgeable sources.
I would encourage you all to take a minute to think about what you are really looking for when you seek advice on BT and decide whether what you are looking for is what will actually HELP you or if it will just make you feel better. Don't allow your emotions to hold you back. Don't take anything personally. If you don't agree with someone's assessment of you and your training, say "thank you for your perspective" and move on. There is no whining in triathlons, so HTFU, SUAT, and get better!
Now, I am going to the pool because I am a terrible swimmer that has spent the last 3 years avoiding speed work and now I have to pay for it by having Jorge try to drown me every day. So don't worry, BT, I hate him sometimes too. Ha!

2008-02-27 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1239138

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Don't Take It Personally

This is sooooooo my problem too.  I hate when people tell me I suck.   But most of the time, it's unfortunately...and probably...the truth.  I suck on the bike.  I suck on the swim.  I need to SUAT on these things...I need to not get mad when Jess tells me my bike fitness sucks or my bike FIT is horrible.  It is.  I'm a lazya$$ for not getting my bike fit done.  I never HAVE gotten mad at this, but sometimes my brain starts coming up with excuses.  Not acceptable. 

This is a super awesome topic.

2008-02-27 12:58 PM

User image

Master

Some great points.

I think the overwhelming message here is, if you ask for advice or input be prepared for the truth and dont be offended by it.

2008-02-27 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
I am looking at your post from a trainer point of view, and yes I would agree with the point about honesty.  What I disagree with is that the HTFU attitude may work for some people, but for some clients it will just break down the communication between trainer and client.  Also, training is a personal matter, so to not take things personally - makes no sense.  You can only depend on yourself to get in the training, it's not up to your trainer to do it for you.  The greatest achievement of the trainer is to get you internally motivated and to take your training on a personal level.  Just my $0.02.
2008-02-27 1:10 PM

User image

Champion
2008-02-27 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1239173

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

pinktrigal - 2008-02-27 1:02 PM I am looking at your post from a trainer point of view, and yes I would agree with the point about honesty.  What I disagree with is that the HTFU attitude may work for some people, but for some clients it will just break down the communication between trainer and client.  Also, training is a personal matter, so to not take things personally - makes no sense.  You can only depend on yourself to get in the training, it's not up to your trainer to do it for you.  The greatest achievement of the trainer is to get you internally motivated and to take your training on a personal level.  Just my $0.02.

That's a good observation for a one-on-one type of relationship.  But if you post a question to a large group on the internet, you are likely to get a wide swath of responses from many different personalities.  Some of those may jive with what you "need", others may not.  The variety of opinion & persepective is both the good & the bad you get from the internet.

2008-02-27 1:14 PM

User image

Elite

Another point I would like to add is that responses to questions are almost never intended by the writer to insult or hurt feelings.  A lack of tact-- that may happen, a hard truth--sometimes, an ignorant assumption--its inevitable.  But pure naked meanness, I haven't seen it here (or if it happens, it doesn't survive long before its yanked.)   My point is that BT is like a buffet, you take what you like and leave the rest for someone else.  None of it is actually bad food.

What we do have here is an abundance of interesting stories, frequent ennobling personal triumphs, some sound advice, lots grand humor, and most of all, a place to talk about stuff that bores our significant others to tears.

Unwad the panties.

Let the small stuff slide. 

See you dudes (and dudettes) on the other side.

TW

2008-02-27 1:15 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-27 1:19 PM

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Here's some straight talk, no disrespect intended:

Write in paragraphs. You'll get your point across a lot better than you will with a rambling stream-of-consciousness page of closely-set type.

Other than that, good luck with your goals!
2008-02-27 1:23 PM

I have to say it goes both ways. While I agree with much of what you have to say, that we come here asking for advice and must be open to ALL sides, both good and bad, I have to say that those of us who are more knowledgeable should approach topics and questions with a little more discretion and perspective into what they might be going through. It's easy for some people to say certain things based on their OWN experiences, but not one athlete is the exact same as another, and with that in mind, one has to be careful with trying to understand where the other is coming from. And yes, while telling someone to HTFU might be the only solution at times, that person might not be so inclined to take it to heart as some of us do, depending on how much he/she might have struggled. I was told to HTFU and realize the error of my ways, but someone else who has a different story may react negatively towards such advice. Tough love works wonders in real life, but not so much online, as it's often misunderstood.

In a nutshell, say what's on your mind, but please be sympathetic to those who might be asking for some sympathy, or even those who aren't. A lot of people here are experts on athletic topics, but not so much on the psychological aspect.

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I agree.  I have hardly ever seen outright "I am being mean, neener" attitude on this board.  Which is why I am still here.

Now, I have asked advice on occasion and on occasion had my hat handed to me.  Sometimes the advice felt very harsh.  But, looked at objectively, it was true advice given from people who wanted to tell me their best OPINION.  

I asked for it - and so, basically, it's not THEIR fault that I didn't like what they said.

Also as The Extreme BOPPER I have really not felt any "snobbishness" or whatever, from FOP people here.  Yes, occasionally, there is someone with an attitude, but usually they get taken down pretty quickly. 

in reply to: #1239223

Champion

Not sure what you're looking at, but I see paragraphs.

If you're going to be straight talking, at least get it right.

kenail - 2008-02-27 1:19 PM Here's some straight talk, no disrespect intended: Write in paragraphs. You'll get your point across a lot better than you will with a rambling stream-of-consciousness page of closely-set type. Other than that, good luck with your goals!

Edited by DerekL 2008-02-27 1:24 PM
2008-02-27 1:42 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado

Wow, it looks like "coaching" has become the new "strength training" topic of discussion. That's why I hide out in the strength training forum - we're all a bunch of outcasts over there, which is why we all get along.Wink

Seriously, though, you bring up a good point and is one of the reasons why I would've let my wife spend some money on some coaching. Her swimming form is kind of odd, she desperately needs to raise the seat on her bike, and she needs to put in more training volume. But she won't listen to me and thinks I'm just being critical if I try to give her advice. If she had to pay a coach, she would listen. And while a coach won't get her on the podium, fixing technique and form problems would, IMO, make training and racing more enjoyable for her and reduce the chances of injury.

2008-02-27 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1239283

Extreme Veteran
MN
MikeTheBear - 2008-02-27 1:42 PM

Wow, it looks like "coaching" has become the new "strength training" topic of discussion. That's why I hide out in the strength training forum - we're all a bunch of outcasts over there, which is why we all get along.Wink

Seriously, though, you bring up a good point and is one of the reasons why I would've let my wife spend some money on some coaching. Her swimming form is kind of odd, she desperately needs to raise the seat on her bike, and she needs to put in more training volume. But she won't listen to me and thinks I'm just being critical if I try to give her advice. If she had to pay a coach, she would listen. And while a coach won't get her on the podium, fixing technique and form problems would, IMO, make training and racing more enjoyable for her and reduce the chances of injury.

Not to hijack, but I'm firmly convinced a husband has never actually conviced a wife of anything.  Tell a buddy what you know and she will think he is a genious and why couldn't you be more like him.

As the guy who likes to give the STFU and listen speach, most people think I'm just mean.  I'm just misunderstood; sniff. 

2008-02-27 2:12 PM

Giver

Here's what I like:

People who ask for opinions that don't really want them.

Nice job of summing up, Jess...

Nancy's point is a good one: a good coach gives his or her athlete what they need, not what they think they should need. Some folks need their @sses kicked, others need them gently prodded.

(yeah...i noticed...)

Edited by run4yrlif 2008-02-27 2:13 PM
2008-02-27 2:15 PM

Master
Atlanta, Ga

I was in the Marines, and have a lot of experince with being told to HTFU, although in much more harsh words than that. One day I was late, for a very legitimate reason, but when trying to explain why, was told to stop making excuses before I got two words out. I was angry for about 3 months regarding that, but one day, saw the reasoning behind it. Really what it came down to was that I was told to be somewhere at a specific time, and I failed to do it. Doesn't matter what the reason behind it is. Same thing with coaching or training type of advice. We tend to say things as matter of fact, rather than take unique circumstances into account. If your told you have bad running form, then you have bad running form. Doesn't matter why. If you are told to lose weight, then lose weight, stop making excuses for being over weight. The bottom line is that nobody here should expect to have their hands held when soliciting advice. The title of this post is dead on accurate, and is pretty much the only advice new marines need in order to survive boot camp.. don't take it personally. 

Of course we are not in the Marine Corps here. I know that. Thing is though, there is a certain amount of respect you must pay this, or any sport. The sports themselves owe you nothing, however, you owe the sport, your best attempt at honoring the accomplishment that it really is. If that means you need to be told some pretty harsh things along your journey, then that's what it means. In a way, coaches are like Drill Instructors, only usually more civil.

Master
St. Louis
I need some Cliff Notes
in reply to: #1239237

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
DerekL - 2008-02-27 2:23 PM

kenail - 2008-02-27 1:19 PM Here's some straight talk, no disrespect intended: Write in paragraphs. You'll get your point across a lot better than you will with a rambling stream-of-consciousness page of closely-set type. Other than that, good luck with your goals!

He was right about the rambling stream-of-consciousness.  Maybe a better suggestion would be to put a blank line between the paragraphs. 

2008-02-27 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1239200

Champion
the colony texas
JohnnyKay - 2008-02-27 1:10 PM

pinktrigal - 2008-02-27 1:02 PM I am looking at your post from a trainer point of view, and yes I would agree with the point about honesty.  What I disagree with is that the HTFU attitude may work for some people, but for some clients it will just break down the communication between trainer and client.  Also, training is a personal matter, so to not take things personally - makes no sense.  You can only depend on yourself to get in the training, it's not up to your trainer to do it for you.  The greatest achievement of the trainer is to get you internally motivated and to take your training on a personal level.  Just my $0.02.

That's a good observation for a one-on-one type of relationship.  But if you post a question to a large group on the internet, you are likely to get a wide swath of responses from many different personalities.  Some of those may jive with what you "need", others may not.  The variety of opinion & persepective is both the good & the bad you get from the internet.

Coaching threads are the new strength training threads it seems

Even back in my good ol Army training days,, yelling at me did nothing to motivate me, but tell me I can't do something and boom I'm incredibly focused. Of course I realize that this only can occur with 1-1 coaching and even then it's going to take that particular individual to either notice that what they are saying is not generating the desired results or them listening to me say what has worked best for me in the past.

As I used to say when I used to  go to big shot meetings.  "don't ask me a question if your not ready to hear my answer," or my other favorite  "i'm the consultant. I'm going to be fired eventually, if you want someone to agree with you find one of your middle managers" 

2008-02-27 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1239223

Elite
Hendersonville

Thank you for your perspective.  

kenail - 2008-02-27 2:19 PM Here's some straight talk, no disrespect intended: Write in paragraphs. You'll get your point across a lot better than you will with a rambling stream-of-consciousness page of closely-set type. Other than that, good luck with your goals!

2008-02-27 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1239211

Elite
Hendersonville

I'm going to be laughing all day over this one. And I forgot to point out that he told me it was the worst thing he had ever seen IN FRONT OF A MILLION PEOPLE.  

JeepFleeb - 2008-02-27 2:15 PM

I showed this to Stacy and she says you should HTFU.

And Coach Z uses poster-sized pictures of you labeled 'How to Suck at Running' to demonstrate the most horrible form he's ever seen in his life.

2008-02-27 2:35 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Not to Hijack Jess' post, but does anyone think this might have something to do with us starting to ramp up our training and coming to the realization that the season is upon us?

I know I'm getting antsy...

Just a thought.

2008-02-27 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1239432

Runner
Marvarnett - 2008-02-27 3:35 PM

Not to Hijack Jess' post, but does anyone think this might have something to do with us starting to ramp up our training and coming to the realization that the season is upon us?

Just a thought.

HTFU, ya wee little girl. 

2008-02-27 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1239237

Champion
No excuses!
DerekL - 2008-02-27 2:23 PM

Only on BT can we start with a "unwad your panties and HTFU" and turn it into a grammar debate

2008-02-27 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1239432

Elite
Hendersonville

Well, I think instead of my "stream of consciousness" blabfest I could have just said "February Sucks" and been just as accurate. February eats at people's souls. 

Marvarnett - 2008-02-27 3:35 PM

Just a thought.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't Take It Personally Rss Feed  

of 2