General Discussion Race Reports! » Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon - 10Km Mini Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon - 10Km Mini - Run

View Member's Race Log
Singapore,
Other
Standard Chartered Bank
31C / 88F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 15s
Overall Rank = /7000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

5km runs 3 times a week for one month.
Event warmup:

Basic stretches on the core muscles 20 minutes before start-time at 0700hrs
Run
  • 1h 09m 15s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 55s  min/km
Comments:

This is my first time entering a race. I'm very satisfied with my timing and overall performance in terms of pre-race prep and race day run.
What would you do differently?:

fuelbelt, powergel, more warmups for the feet. I'll advance to the half-marathon next September.
Post race
Warm down:

normal cool-down stretches, drank lots of fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience.

Event comments:

Bottled water from the drink stations could've been better. The plastic bottle tops were difficult to peel off and unscrew. Organisers should've stuck with cups, and to direct people away from the stations once runners have taken the drinks.

Last updated: 2004-12-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:09:15 | 10 kms | 06m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/7000
Performance: Good
Course: Esplanade Bridge - Shenton Way - Marina South Park - Marina South Park - Shenton Way - City Hall
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-12-05 11:34 AM

Subject: Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon - 10Km Mini

2004-12-05 1:49 PM
in reply to: #89507

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
Subject: RE: Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon - 10Km Mini

Glad you had fun in your first race.  I'll be there next year.

Just a thought though,  you probably wouldnt need a fuel belt/gels for a 10k race. As long as your run doesn't exceed like 2-2.5 hours,  your carbo stores should be sufficient to get you through.

If you do however, decide to use gels. Make sure you try them before race day, you don't want a stomach upset during your race. ; )

My 2 cents 

2004-12-05 7:18 PM
in reply to: #89507

THanks Charles81. Actually I'm thinking about the fuelbelts for 2 reasons.

1. Spare water in case the drink stations run out of water or have inexperienced volunteers manning the stations. there was a time at the 7km mark when the station was chock-a-block with runners waiting for the volunteers to unpack the mineral water bottles from the cartons. It was pandemonium. TO make matters worse, the mineral water bottles were sealed with plastic covers atop the caps. The seals had no perforations to yank the cap off. It kinda spoils the momentum of your pace. I should think it'll be worse if running beyond 10km. It was a good 300m away from the station before I could take the cap off and have a decent replenishment. Fortunately the race was sponsored by a few mineral water / isotonic drink companies. The other stations had cups which were more efficient.

2. I intend to go beyond 10km. In fact I'm planning for at least one 8-10km stretch per week. Will probably put water in the gel bottles but store a gel in the spare pocket.
2004-12-05 8:18 PM
in reply to: #89589

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

I understand what you mean now ; )

Yeah, the problem with events in Singapore is that the organisers aint very experienced yet, especially since most of them aint runners.  Seriously,  I don't think ANYWHERE else in the world, will there be water given out in bottles.  Its ALWAYS in cups....oh well...

But yeah, I think carrying water on your training runs is an extremely good idea.  At your current pace,  you'll be out on the roads for some time and hydration never hurts.  Oooo......I can feel the heat of the Singapore sun just by talking about it......

Best of luck for your trainings! Perhaps I'll see you next year at the race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon - 10Km Mini Rss Feed