General Discussion Race Reports! » Snickers Marathon Energy Bar Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Snickers Marathon Energy Bar Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Albany, Georgia
United States
Albany Convention & Visitors Bureau
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 2s
Overall Rank = 254/386
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, showered and got some coffee. Ate a pear & drank water. Right before the race, I had some gatorade with a Gu.
Event warmup:

I did a quick up and back- about a half mile
Run
  • 2h 29m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was excited to start & did great for the first eight miles. Keeping between a 9:30 and 10:00 minute mile.About mile nine, my left ankle started hurting, but not terribly. I slowed down, and paid very close attention to my form. This helped with the pain/discomfort and I kept going. My race plan all along was to run with a walk for each aid, making sure that I drank because my hydration was not so sporty the week prior. I was able to stick to my plan until mile 9- then I was walking for about a minute every mile. When my nausea started in mile 10, I ate a few sports beans & was good to go. The pain increased, but I kept a slower pace. By mile 11 the pain was great. Mile 12 & 13 was pretty bad, but at this point, I didn't want to stop. I could tell it wasn't bone problems, so I kept moving. By the time I hit the chute to the finish, the pain was obvious. One volunteer looked at me and said, "Dig a little deep sister , you're almost done."
I sprinted it to the end, and as soon as they went to take my chip, I asked to be taken to medical. Got a great ankle brace, ice and motrin.
What would you do differently?:

my training wasn't consistent before, I needed to be a bit stronger, especially considering my calf problems that seem to have caused to the ankle pain ( over correcting?) But, other than that, not much. Despite the last few miles, I had a great time. Who knew running 13.1 miles could be so fun?
Post race
Warm down:

Straight to medical

What limited your ability to perform faster:

left ankle.

Event comments:

Loved the race & will do it again!

Last updated: 2008-03-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:29:02 | 13.1 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/386
Performance: Average
Course: Great course, lot's of support and beautiful neighborhood. This was not a flat course, but I have run parts of it for a few 10k's. The rollers were not surprises to me.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-03 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Snickers Marathon Energy Bar Half Marathon

2008-03-03 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1248600

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: RE: Snickers Marathon Energy Bar Half Marathon
Hey nice run! Sucks that the ankle went on you but glad to see you were able to continue on! Nice race, congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snickers Marathon Energy Bar Half Marathon Rss Feed