United States
UCLA Triathlon Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 14/21
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:30, checked that I had everything for the millionth time, put on sunscreen (I still got burned :(), had a bowl of cereal, realized I usually never eat cereal before a race or long run, so I had some peanut butter toast on top of that, plus a clif bar at T1 while we were waiting for the race to start. Had a little bit of trouble figuring out where to park, but made it to T2 to put my bag down and met up with Yanti and Dolores. We walked our bikes up to T1 and got set up there (after about a million questions to Dolores and Yanti as to what goes where, what do I need now, etc, etc, etc). Met up with Matt and Jocelyn and waited for the race to start.
Event warmup:

I was in the 4th heat, at 7:40, lost track of time and didn't have much time to warm up, but I managed to get a few laps in at the warm up pool before running down to the start.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 437 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really nervous/excited/anxious when I got in the pool and it really screwed up my breathing for the first lap and a half, I felt like I couldn't catch my breath at all, especially with 20 people in front of my churning things up. Things got much better by the 2nd lap when I started to feel warmed up and get in the rhythm, although by that point I was far behind the main pack. Wasn't really going for an amazing swim performance, I justed wanted to be out of the pool in 10 minutes before the next heat started, which I did, and I wasn't the last in my heat so I'm happy about that.
What would you do differently?:

Not be nervous! :) If I had just relaxed and swam like I do when I train I would have been fine. Maybe I would have tried to get a few more swims in at a 50m pool so I had a better idea of what the distance would be like.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Took me a little while to find my bike since I was in one of the earlier heats and there were still a bunch of bikes there. Got my shoes and socks on pretty quickly (I biked in my running shoes), had trouble with the helmet since it didn't fit over my hair in a bun so I had to fix that.

Make a better mental note of where my bike is, fix my hair while I'm moving between the pool and my bike so I don't waste so much time. Or figure out a better way to do my hair.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 15s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 12.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Having gone to UCLA I had a little bit of an advantage with the course. I'd gone there a few times to do the hills and I was glad I did since I was able to bike all the way up them each time without stopping (ok there was a brief stop the second time so that I could get a drink of water). I saw Jocelyn a couple times and Dolores once and said hi to them. I'm not sure what my time was exactly but I'm pretty sure it was faster than when I did it alone, and the hills were easier by the 3rd and 4th laps which was great. I mostly got the shifting down so that I was in a more or less appropriate gear the whole time. I actually passed people which was amazing, since I think I was imagining me and 100 mini Lance Armstrongs. Overall I really enjoyed the ride, especially since I went in thinking it would be my worst event.

Maybe taken the downhills a little faster. Given my level of inexperience and the time I had to train I don't think there's anything I could have done differently
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Biking in my running shoes definitely made this transition easy. Took off my helmet and gloves, had a drink of water and just started running.

Well hopefully someday I won't be riding in my running shoes, but generally I probably could have moved a little faster, but superfast transitions weren't really my goal for this race.
Run
  • 25m 39s
  • 2.75 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I grabbed the little cup of water they handed out at the beginning of the run a that was fine for me, I don't remember every really being thirsty. I felt slow at first coming off the bike but since the uphills were first in the run course I thought it was better to start slow and speed up once it eventually leveled off and turned downhill. Saw Matt, Dolores and Jocelyn on the run, never saw Yanti (she almost caught up with me that speed demon). Ran a lot faster than I thought I would, my actual chrono time was probably abour 30 seconds to a minute slower than 25:36 since I didn't start it until I was about halfway down the first stretch of the field. Even so it was a faster pace than I even usually do on my maintenance runs so I was very happy about that. Was winded by the time I got to the end so I couldn't run it in as fast as I wanted to but overall it felt like a great run.

UPDATE: turns out my chrono was more correct than I thought, officially my run was 25:39, which is super fast for me, yay!

More speed work probably, and I would have run the course beforehand. I thought since I'd gone to school there I had a good idea of what it would be like to run it, but I never actually ran around UCLA when I went there so it wasn't the same obviously. I thought the first uphill was shorter than it was since it goes so fast when you go down it on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the IM field/expo with my awesome roommate who came at the end to see me finish (she actually got there right as I finished). I told her it would probably take about 2 hours but thankfully she got there earlier than that (she said she knew it would take me less time that I thought, which I thought was a nice vote of confidence). Had a half a bagel and cream cheese and some orange energy drink stuff. Met up with Yanti when she finished, watched Jocelyn and Matt transition and saw them and Dolores finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

General inexperience/nerves. I did better than I expected to so, so I think the only way I could have gone faster was more time/training.

Event comments:

I had a great time doing my first triathlon, the race was fun and organized (they could have used someone down by the parking structure but that was about it), the course was challenging, but doable and it was nice to be somewhere I was already familiar with. I think it was the perfect first race for me :).

Last updated: 2008-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 437 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: TYR trisuit
Course: 3.5 laps around the outside of the pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:03:15 | 13.5 miles | 12.81 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 4 and a little bit loops around campus
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:39 | 02.75 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: A few legs around the IM field and about a half lap around the campus.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-03 3:01 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: UCLA IronBruin Triathlon

2008-03-03 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1249635

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: UCLA IronBruin Triathlon
Congrats, TRIATHLETE! Look forward to hopefully meeting you at a future LA area tri.
2008-03-03 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great job out there Faeron and an excellent first outing

I think you figured out at some point during the race that course knowledge is extremely valuable. (Sure is nice when you know what to expect up ahead) I did my first 4 Tri Seasons alone and never had the pleasure of seeing friends out on the course.

More recently I have experienced what it is like to see folks you know out there and it is a very cool thing.  Of course, the pre-race FE is always a bonus too.

Nicely done. I might suggest that your going to do great in Carp. The worst of the hills is not as bad as what you experienced this weekend (Toro Canyon) and the best part is that there is a nice long gentle downhill afterward.

Definitely going to be fun watching you tear up the Tri Circuit this season

Oh, bubbles in front of you. That is a very good thing for me because that means I can draft off of someone. (We practice drafting in our OW club swims)

2008-03-03 3:20 PM

New user

Great job! It was snowing during my first tri.
2008-03-03 4:24 PM

Los Angeles, CA
Excellent job. You were nervous because it was your first tri. I couldn't even sleep the night before my first one. Nicely done.
2008-03-03 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Faeron, great race report! I'm so glad you did well, and even happier that you had fun. That's what it's all about! I had a great time hanging out with you and everyone else. I hope we do the same race again soon!

2008-03-03 5:13 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Hey, blondie!

CONGRATULATIONS YOU AWESOME TRIATHLETE!!!!!!!

I am so very proud of you, you have no idea. You just rock the house. Your first tri, and not only were you crazy, crazy, crazy fast ... for a Bruin, and a girl ... it looks like you had a blast, which is the most important thing.

It means a lot to the old farts to be able to do races with good peeps they know, too. So thank you for being there.

Yeah, training partners is kind of like a weird marriage. And both you and I popped our cherry tris at the same race. Hmmm, I wonder what that means? 

2008-03-03 10:44 PM
in reply to: #1250009

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

Way to go, Faeron!  Oops, I mean, way to go, TRIATHLETE!  Way to work through the nervousness and do a great job out there.

Congratulations!

2008-03-03 11:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Congrats! The race was fun wasn't it? You should be glad you were in wave 4. I WAS WAITING FOR AN HOUR AND FORTY MINUTES before I got to start!!!
2008-03-04 5:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA

You are such a pimp chicka!! Great job for sure. :D Well, we have our work cut out for us huh?? We only gotta shave off about a half hour or so....hahaha...no big deal. Cool thing is, I really think that we can do it....we've only been training for like a couple of months....just imagine what it'll be like when we've been training for a whole year. Geez....we're going to be rockin everyone's socks off...LOL. Keep it up girl!!

peace!

Matt 

2008-03-06 1:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woo hoo!! congratulations and excellent job you speedy redhead ...um triathlete!

2008-11-25 11:31 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Great race for a first tri! Of course, now you have loftier goals and I bet you'll do just as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UCLA IronBruin Triathlon Rss Feed