United Kingdom
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I stayed at a lovely hostel (Argyle Backpackers on Argyle Place if you're needing a place to stay in Edinburgh!) that was only about 100 yards from Meadows Park. So I took the train from Glasgow the day before, had a kick around the Museum of Scotland because I needed to look at some sagars and wasters for my ceramics class, got some veg from the green grocer across the street and made a delicious pasta for less than 1 quid. Booyah! Stayed up reading archaeology homework till about 11, turned out the light and went to bed.

About 2:45 I woke up to pee (yeah, hydration!), and realized that the 3 lads I was sharing the room with still weren't back. I figured they must have pulled, and therefore were out of my hair. Went back to bed.

4:15 AM. The biggest breach of hostel etiquette known to man. Not only coming in reaaaaaaaaaly late, but TURNING ON THE DORM ROOM LIGHT and SINGING/ TALKING? (not to mention undressing with little to know ceremony...don't worry I covered my head with my blanket when they turned the light on). Not. Cool. So I didn't feel too bad when my alarm clock with the most annoying ringtone ever went off about 3 hours later. Take that!

Went downstairs and made a pot of coffee and some Scots porridge with apple. Took my time reading the paper and such. Left my backpack to collect later, and headed off to the park.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO unprepared though. At first, it was quite temperate. Then it got overcast and started to blow, and got COLD. So I took shelter in a wee bakery and had a scone. Then I went out again to see if registration was open. Nope. Kicked around. Read my book. Decided in the interests of hypothermia, to cower in a starbucks for an hour. And have coffee.

Shall I also note that I hadn't been taking water yet? STUPID.
And I peed about 30 bajillion times.
Event warmup:

Everyone was milling around in the park, some people were doing stunts or playing bagpipes to raise money for their respective charities (lots of charity runners in fancy dress).

We got called over to the start for a group warm up. It was lots of fun, everyone was doing jumping jacks and fast feet and having a good old time. Took the opportunity to queue for the loo one more time. Got out just in time to line up...only to realize that I hadn't collected my timing chip! Eejit! So I grabbed it, got back into place, and just made the start whistle.
Run
  • 2h 09m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I was treating this run as a supported training run in the lead up to Belfast. That being said, I've had a distracted last couple of weeks because of essays and schoolwork and a bit of a health scare. No excuse though, but I wasn't coming in on all cylinders.

Where do we start? heh, first of all, I wasn't hydrated properly. Stupid move. I also had tons of crap in my pockets, which made them bulky. I got hot after the second loop, so I took the jacket off, but the stuff in the pockets got annoying, so I wrapped it up around me.

Eating strategy was good: gels were not. The consistency was not nice. The flavor was ok, but the consistency made me gag. I had gels on laps 3, 6 and 8, and glucose tabs on laps in between. Water at every lap.

I wasn't trying to run fast, but I kept getting really antsy about people passing me. I had to keep reminding myself that this was a TRAINING RUN and it was just for the craic. Tried to stay focused on running consistently and continuously, the big C's. And I did that...ran the whole thing, no walking (w00t!).

It really helped to see all the charity runners out there, and all the people in fancy dress, highlights including men in tartan boxer shorts and not much else, 2 lads that did the whole 13 miles as a "3 legged race", chicken suits, a guy in a leopard print banana hammock, and a 50 person caterpilar (doing the 5k). WaterRelief also did the whole thing carrying buckets of water over their shoulders to raise money for wells in Africa.

About lap 7, these people really helped get me through it. That, and the brilliant sunshine and being in the shaddown of Arthur's Seat. It was lovely, and seeing how much people care for others, and being cheered on by strangers, really got me through the low points. Loops 8 and 9 were perhaps my best. I got a second wind and my HR came down, stride opened up, and off I went.
What would you do differently?:

-hydrate properly.
-STRETCH!
-prepare better

Post race
Warm down:

This is where stupidity sets in. I finished, got some water, but no food...which was OK because I'd been having serious GI distress since loop 4. Got my bag and went back to the hostel. Hostel guy let me shower, which was very very nice of him. Got outside and it started POURING!

Did I mention I didn't stretch?

Waddled down the mound to Waverly station, sat down, and immediately felt ill. I spent the entire ride from Waverly to Glasgow with my head between my knees, feeling quite cold and hot at the same time, and ready to hurl. Shock, perhaps? because my blood sugar was spot on (thank god for small favors!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

What I learned:
- need new shoes. these won't cut it for Belfast. Blisters on the toes
- need to put bodyglide on my thighs. Let me tell you, the feeling of hot water on chaffed skin is NOT pleasant!
- need to HTFU and train harder.

Event comments:

Well done Edinburgh Uni (that phrase doesn't come out of my mouth often ;) JK). The whole thing was well run, from e-mail notices to packet distribution to pickup and drop off of bags. Nice festivities, awesome volunteers. Great atmosphere. I kinda wish it wasn't a circular route, but what can ye do?

Last updated: 2008-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:07 | 13.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
AVG 167 MAX 189 1748 Cals
Course: 9 loops around Meadows Park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-03 4:27 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: Meadows Marathon

2008-03-07 3:06 AM
in reply to: #1249860

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: RE: Meadows Marathon

Great report. I'm glad the weather stayed good for you, quite remarkable given what we have had recently.

Good luck at Belfast.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Meadows Marathon Rss Feed