General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blazeman! Why Do You Race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-03 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: Blazeman! Why Do You Race?
We race for many different reasons. Sometimes, we race to prove something to ourselves. Sometimes, we race to prove something to someone else. Whether old or young, out in front, MOP, or DFL, all who race understand intuitively how lucky they are to have the opportunity to pursue something they love. Even on the most difficult days, when the wheels have come off and the holes in our training plans have made themselves plain, most of us can reflect on our good luck and muster another mile…maybe even two.

This year I’ll be racing to raise money for ALS, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Like so many others who share a passion for multi-sport racing, my foray into the world of triathlon introduced me to the story of Jon “Blazeman” Blais not too long ago. Many of you, I’m sure know something of Jon’s story already. Perhaps, like me, your jaw dropped to the floor when NBC aired its coverage of Jon’s effort to tackle Kona in 2005. Perhaps, like me, your heart sank and a lump rose in your throat, when it was announced on this web site and many others, that Jon had succumbed to his disease on May 27, 2007 at the age of 35. Maybe, like me, you tucked Jon’s story away somewhere inside, and wondered whether his life and his struggle called on you to do SOMETHING to honor his battle and to help raise awareness about a disease which is utterly merciless to those it afflicts (50% do not survive three years from their initial diagnosis).

Last year I participated in the first annual OC Blazeman, an extraordinary event organized by an extraordinary family in Huntington Beach, California. In lieu of a race fee, I made a donation to the Blazeman Fund (http://www.waronals.com), and with a group of others who had done the same, I went out for a long training day (70.3) to honor Jon’s life and bring some attention to the ongoing war against ALS. This year, I will race with Blazeman gear to continue that endeavor, and at the same time, I have committed myself to raising no less than $1000 for the Blazeman Foundation, which is now a registered 501(c)3 non-profit.

I know that many others here have made similar commitments to a whole range of causes equally deserving of consideration. As we head into a new tri season, I want to commend those who have made such a commitment, and I want to challenge those who haven’t to pick a charity and turn their racing season into a fundraising campaign. For those who share my interest in Jon’s life, enthusiasm, and achievements, I am including a link to my personalized Blazeman fundraising page. Others may wish to devote their funds elsewhere. In some sense, it really doesn’t matter where you put your resources. I only hope that you will put them SOMEWHERE so that your efforts are multiplied and your devotion to the sport will pay dividends in the lives of others.

SOMETHING. SOMEWHERE. RIGHT NOW.

Best of luck to all in 2008.

If you would like to support my efforts with a donation, please visit the link below:
http://www.active.com/donate/teamblazeman/AKarn2

For those who don't know the Blazeman's story, you might check out this video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vrjp2P0GlE

Edited by Xan 2008-03-03 7:17 PM

2008-03-03 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1250205

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Blazeman! Why Do You Race?
What you're doing is fabulous.... Jon Blais's Ironman and story brought me to tears.

2008-03-03 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
x2!  ride on!!!!
2008-03-03 8:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
I had the honor of meeting John Blais "Blazeman's" parents this year in Kona. I was there with my husband. My husband spoke at the Iroman Medical Conference and John's parent's were there. They truly should be proud of him...he has made a huge impact on the triathlon community and will continue to do so for many years!!

Edited by canadarn2001 2008-03-03 8:43 PM
2008-03-03 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
It is ironic that I would be reading this now...As I write this I am sitting in front of my retired Chief of Police's house following his death last Thursday of ALS. I am posted here as a traditional honor guard position until midnight.

Chief Cassel was a very active retiree, grandfather,father and husband. He was also a nice guy. ALS robbed him of his life at 67 years of age but he was mentally in the game nearly to the end.

So long Chief!
2008-03-04 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
For those who have been moved by Jon's story or affected by the disease directly, may I humbly suggest a donation to support the ongoing war on ALS?

To make a secure donation via active.com:

http://www.active.com/donate/teamblazeman/AKarn2

Or better yet, start your own fundraising and awareness campaign:

http//:www.waronals.com

2008-03-04 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1251190

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
A group of 5 of us are going to do IMLP this year and I am thinking of trying to get all 5 of us to get together on this in memory/respect to my former Chief.
2008-03-04 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1251677

User image

Expert
Central New York
sgillen - 2008-03-04 1:49 PM

A group of 5 of us are going to do IMLP this year and I am thinking of trying to get all 5 of us to get together on this in memory/respect to my former Chief.

Awesome.

I'll be tearing through the streets of Manhattan that day, racing in full Blazeman gear at the NYC Triathlon.

Train well. Best of luck in '08!

Edited by Xan 2008-03-04 1:02 PM
2008-03-06 7:36 PM

User image

Huntington Beach, California
Hey Xan,

Great to see your very inspired post. Hope things are going well for you in NYC.

OC Blazeman II is scheduled for June 29th. They think even more people will participate this year.

Any chance you can make it out?

Joe (formerly pchcruiser)
2008-03-07 8:09 AM

User image

I just heard about the Blazeman foundation. Comes at an ironic, albeit unfortunate time. My mother-in-law was just diagnosed with ALS and is going for her second opinion today. Being a physical therapist I have worked with the disease on multiple occasions. It is a truly awful disease and not enough research has been done to find a cure. I hope this foundation continues to make more people aware of ALS and helps lead to an eventual cure.
2008-03-07 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1257625

User image

Expert
Central New York
JJCTRI - 2008-03-06 8:36 PM

Hey Xan,

Great to see your very inspired post. Hope things are going well for you in NYC.

OC Blazeman II is scheduled for June 29th. They think even more people will participate this year.

Any chance you can make it out?

Joe (formerly pchcruiser)

Joe,

Great to read a few words from you. Given the Ryans' commitment, I have no doubt that this year's edition of the OC Blazeman will be a huge success. I'd love to make it out for that, but scheduling and logistics are very tough for me at that particular time. Have to see.

In the meantime, I'm trying to concentrate on some east coast venues. I'll be racing as #179 (Blazeman's Kona bib) at the Newfoundland Half Iron, and I'm registered for the NYC Olympic distance tri the previous weekend. Also, looking forward to entering the Westchester Tri in September, which is one of the "official" events for the Blazeman Foundation.

I will be in Oceanside for the CA 70.3 later this month. I have work stuff on the west coast that week and extended my stay to hit the race. Probably going to be a tough day, since I've done nothing but train indoors this winter, but I'm hoping that I'll get a lift from my Blazeman gear and thee rest of the racers. Hope to see you there.

For those who want to say hello, I'll be the tall, bald, tattooed, (slow) guy with a Blazeman tri-top. You might find me splayed out around mile 8 on the run course, but hopefully I'll find my way to the finish line one way or another.

2008-03-07 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1258167

User image

Expert
Central New York
mujfalc - 2008-03-07 9:09 AM

I just heard about the Blazeman foundation. Comes at an ironic, albeit unfortunate time. My mother-in-law was just diagnosed with ALS and is going for her second opinion today. Being a physical therapist I have worked with the disease on multiple occasions. It is a truly awful disease and not enough research has been done to find a cure. I hope this foundation continues to make more people aware of ALS and helps lead to an eventual cure.

Sorry to read this. Obviously you know how shattering the disease is. The Blazeman mission is two-fold: raise awareness and support the research that will lead to effective treatment or, hopefully, a cure. For me, after learning about Jon's story, the mission seemed so straight-forward and important, I really wanted to do something to support it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blazeman! Why Do You Race? Rss Feed