Chicago Special Events Management
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 23s
Overall Rank = 173/996
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/66
Pre-race routine:

Race wasn't until 10am, so I didn't even have to get up incredibly early for this one. Ellen had chauffeuring duties this day, so all I had to do was be ready and ride along.
Event warmup:

Did a little warm-up with Whizzzzz, and a few fig newtons about 45 minutes prior (I hate racing when my stomach is growling...)
Run
  • 23m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't sure what to expect at this race -- I haven't been running too much, and definitely haven't been doing ANY kind of speed/interval work. But - it was a PERFECT day for a run... mid 40's, not too windy and SUNNY out. Great weather, especially considering what we've experienced around here lately.

Decided to just go out, run hard and try not to blow up in the first mile. Had thoughts of trying to stay on MissKelly's heels, but after about 1/4 mile, let her go because I knew I couldn't keep up.

Was shooting for a 7:30m/m pace, and just about hit it. Mile splits were very consistent (totally unusual for me!). Hit the 3 mile mark, saw 23:00 on the clock, and knew that I could beat my previous best of 23:35 if I sprinted. Not sure where I pulled out that finish-line dash from, but somehow managed (and didn't even puke, which I thought was a real possibility!).

A 5k PR -- what a great way to celebrate my birthday!
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. Sure, I would have liked to have gone even FASTER, but considering that it's the beginning of the season and I'm not really in good running shape yet, I'm ecstatic with the results.
Post race
Warm down:

Focus completely on not puking... then walked around with MissKelly (who also PR'd!) to cool down. Then, waited for Ellen to cross the finish line and headed in to partake in the snack food buffet!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Lack of winged feet.

Event comments:

GREAT race. Course is almost custom-made for PR's. Food afterwards was pretty excellent as well. Definitely a great way to start out the racing season!

Last updated: 2008-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:23 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/66
Overall: 0/996
Performance: Good
1m: 7:29 (165) 2m: 7:28 (178) 3m: 7:32 (180) last .15 (per Garmin): :55 (5:59m/m, 183)
Course: Flat and FAST! Through the streets of the west side of the city... the biggest elevation gain/loss was if you stepped in one of the many potholes!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes