General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike vs. Tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-05 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell, MT
Subject: Road bike vs. Tri bike
I'm trying to learn about bikes. I've just about wore out my $100 box store Mtn Bike (alum mongoose w/shimano shifters! When I was a kid - that was high high tech!!)

I've seen comments in bike threads about buying a road bike instead of a tri bike for your first ride so that if the tri thing doesnt stick with you, you will at least have a road bike out of the deal that you can continue to ride and enjoy. Also, seems that there's a common opinion that you can't (or it's hard to) ride a tri bike in a group?

What about a tri bike makes it less suitable for just getting out and riding? I enjoy bike riding a lot, and I can fer sure see myself putting many more miles on a bike than this tri thing requires. I'm doing the Seattle to Portland bicycle classic (200 miles?) with my sister next year - and planning on enjoying every mile of it!

Tell me why I should get a road bike instead of a tri bike?

:confused:

Mel

2008-03-05 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1253703

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Road bike vs. Tri bike
A tri bike can be ridden in a group. There are some that dont allow them, but its rare. It is a major faux paux to ride in aero in a group though, because you will be away from th brakes. Its just considered dangerous because you will be in a tight group.

Other benefits to buying a road bike really depend. Most people consider long rides more comfortable on a roadie. You have more hand positions, quicker access to the brakes and shift levers as well. The geometry of a road bike makes them much more suitable for hilly rides too. Tri bikes can be scary on descents, and they dont climb well. A well fitted tri bike will likely have your knees hitting the pads, or coming darn close, when you stand too. A road bike is easily adaptable to triathlon with the additiona of some clip on aerobars as well. It isnt quite as ideal, but it works very well, and I consider it a 90% solution.

Personally, if I only owned 1 bike, it would be a roadie.

Best of luck!
2008-03-05 10:06 AM

User image

Regular
Louisville, KY
The difference in road and tri bikes begins with the geometry of the frame. A tri bike has a shorter top tube length since the majority of the time is intended to be in the aero position. Road bikes are designed to allow a more upright riding position which is typically considered to be more comfortable especially for newer riders. The aero position is a very aggressive position made for speed without the aid of drafting. It is possible to put aero bars on a road bike (I did) and make adjustments to make it work rather well. Also keep in mind, some bike races do not allow tri bikes. I personally want to buy a tri bike, but this has been after 2 years of riding a road bike. So I recommend looking at road bikes as an initial purchase.
2008-03-05 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell, MT
thanks fellas! that's exactly the info I was looking for.

I think I'll wander back down to the LBS and chat him up on that $600 Fuji he was showing me....

Mel
2008-03-05 11:52 AM

User image

Newport Beach
Mel

I was in a very similar situation as you a couple of months back and with the help of my LBS went with a road bike. I have been really happy with my decision. I don't know if you were like me, but I never had clipless pedals or even skinny tires before so its a lot to take and learn when you first start. My only other bike was a single speed beach cruiser! I felt a lot more at ease being closer to the brakes and siting a lot more straight up then being in aero.

I actually just "converted" my road bike to a tri bike with the addition of aero bars, tri-specific saddle, dog leg seat post, new stem, and a complete re-fitting to get into a good aero postiion. For a quarter of the cost I now have basically two bikes. I can just swap out the seat posts and go back to pretty close to road geometry.

Whatever you go with, just make sure you take the time to by the right size bike for you and you get properly fit. I know that everyone says it, but you won't believe the problems you will avoid as far as soreness, potential injury, and comfort, that will really effect how you feel about getting on a bike again. Truthfully I feel like a kid on Christmas morning when I get on my bike, I have so much fun every time I ride

Also, I am part of a triathlon team and we go on group rides every week with a majority of people with tri bikes. Just be cautious of your surroundings and don't be in aero in a big group!

Have Fun because that's what its about anyway!

Cheers
Brad

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike vs. Tri bike Rss Feed