Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-05 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Lake Grove, NY
Subject: Ironclad Triathlon
Anyone signed up for this sprint?
I see it is sold out already.

How cold is the water at this time of year?
I have my full wetsuit. Any need for gloves or bootie, as someone suggested to me?

This will be my first sprint Tri

Edited by msailer 2008-03-05 11:23 AM

2008-03-05 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1253956

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Ironclad Triathlon

msailer - 2008-03-05 12:22 PM Anyone signed up for this sprint? I see it is sold out already. How cold is the water at this time of year? I have my full wetsuit. Any need for gloves or bootie, as someone suggested to me? This will be my first sprint Tri

Not going to lie..last year the water was extremely cold.  54-56 degrees.  I did see a few brave souls with no wetsuit and others with sleeveless.  I think gloves/booties are overkill, as you'll be wearing a bathing cap anyway.  One suggestion which I didn;t do last year, is jump in before you're due to start to get over the initial shock of the cold water and allow for the water that seeps into your wetsuit to warm up.  I was a big time Noob last year and didn't realize that a wetsuit is designed to allow a little water to get in and I first jumped in the water when my wave went off and I hyperventilated the first half of the swim and almost waved out a couple of times.  2nd half of swim was good.  It's a fun race and I know Matt (tri_sports19), Ralph (rtocco) and myself are doing it.  I forget who else without looking back at the other Ironclad thread.

2008-03-07 6:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
I would strongly suggest taking Tim's advice. The water really can take your breath away, it's best to get in there and swim a bit before your wave goes off.

Prepare yourself for an interesting run, last year there was a creek crossing and some fallen trees you have to navigate over, under or around.

This is a great kickoff to the local season, we'll see you there!
2008-03-07 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Grove, NY
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm looking forward to this Tri.
It came highly recommend.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironclad Triathlon Rss Feed