General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Backstroke for a pool swim? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-06 10:03 AM

User image

Arvada, CO
Subject: Backstroke for a pool swim?
Hello - I will be doing my very first Tri Sprint this summer (my first race of any kind ever!) and the swim is the hardest part for me to get a handle on. A question for the experienced triathletes... what are your thoughts for doing the backstroke if the swim portion is in a pool (and any stroke is allowed)?

2008-03-06 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1256122

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: Backstroke for a pool swim?

Kaileydog1 - 2008-03-06 10:03 AM Hello - I will be doing my very first Tri Sprint this summer (my first race of any kind ever!) and the swim is the hardest part for me to get a handle on. A question for the experienced triathletes... what are your thoughts for doing the backstroke if the swim portion is in a pool (and any stroke is allowed)?

Hey!  Great job entering your first race! 

Yes, the backstroke will be done by people in the pool swim (and outdoor swims for that matter).  It is a means of collecting your breath and settling down.  It is not recommended, but it is certainly allowed.  Just remember to breathe and calm down as much as possible.

For what it's worth, in my first ever tri, I hyperventilated (nerves, going out too fast, not enough training, etc) about 100m into the 350m race.  I flipped over and backstroked for about 30m to get my breathing and heartrate in check, then I was good to go.  So, it is completely common.  Practice a lot prior to the race, and see if you can't develop a rhythm.  The main thing is to finish the swim safely.  You will see people stopping and hanging onto the wall, breast-stroking, backstroking, etc.  Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.  Especially in the water.

Relax, swim at YOUR pace, and don't be afraid to do whatever it takes to keep your head above water.

Chris

2008-03-06 10:09 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Congrats on doing your first tri.

In my experience with pool swims there's been between 1 and 4 people per lane. For the sake of the folks that you're sharing a lane with: Keep in mind that if you're doing a backstroke it's tough to watch where you're going and you may run into an oncoming swimmer.

If you're doing a sprint this summer, you've got plenty of time to learn freestyle!
2008-03-06 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I did my first triathlon swim completly backstroke. It was in a pool, and with a staggered start, so I just seeded myself about 3rd from last. (I was just there to finish that first race, which I did) I find backstroke makes me a bit lightheaded though, and suffered a bit on the bike as a result. But overall, it was fine, and no one was bothered by it. That being said, I now swim freestyle and the difference is night and day. I'm much faster and I feel more confident. If you have the time, keep working on it - you'll see the benefits in time

Congrats on registering for your first race!! Have a blast
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Backstroke for a pool swim? Rss Feed