General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New (used) bike! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-06 9:23 PM

Subject: New (used) bike!
Hey all!

So, a stroke of luck came my way! My mom mentioned she and my dad would get me a bike for my birthday in April! Now I just have to find one! Any tips or suggestions when I start looking? I think I'll stick with a road bike, so I can use it to ride to class as well as triathlons! I don't know the price range they have in mind. I would say definitely below $500, and probably lower than that. What other accessories should I look into? Funds are a bit tight during the school year, but I'm working a ton over spring break, and again during the summer.

Also, is the Topeka Triathlon club mentioned earlier still active?

Thanks!

Rachel

2008-03-07 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1257799

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA
Subject: RE: New (used) bike!

Take a look at Ebay and your local bike store for close outs.  I bought my Giant at my local bike store and got a considerable amount knocked off the price because they had to get rid of it before the next batch of bikes came in.  However, it is getting close to the end of the optimal time to do this so hurry.

Also, I purchase a road bike and I now wish I had bought a Tri bike as my first bike.  If you don't have to ride a long distance to class it may be worth your money to just get a Tri bike.  I have heard however, if you are a roadie as they call them that you will find a road bike more comfortable for longer rides and only use the Tri bike for racing.

the world according to me.

2008-03-07 11:51 AM

Regular
The Topeka Tri Club is BECOMING Active. We are forming a club and it is coming along faster than I ever thought. If you are interested in being put on our list email me at [email protected]. We are having a swim session at the downtown YMCA at 3pm on Sunday. Within the next month we will be coming up a formal club; name, dues, logo, etc. As of now we are just trying to get an interest. I started the idea about a month ago, we had our first meet- in- greet meeting 3 weeks ago with about 20 people. Since the meeting I have 37 names on my list of those interested in the club.
2008-03-10 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City (Roeland Park)
I got a great deal on a tri bike at Bike America on 93rd and Nall. They also offer free tuneups and fittings for life.

The Trek store on Shawnee Mission seems to have some good deals too.

Epic bike & sport is a great new store but since it is new, it doesn't have any old stock so no clearances.

I would avoid bigger bike shops like Bike Source on 135th. There are 1 or 2 people that know what they are talking about but most of them are kids just working for the discount that don't give a f if you are buying the right bike.

There was a thread a few days ago about a sale on Javelin bikes. Road and tri.

My best suggestion is to make sure you buy your bike from a local bike shop. Go somewhere with people that won't sell you crap and will know how to help you find a bike that fits.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New (used) bike! Rss Feed