Carolina Godiva Track Club
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 55m 22s
Overall Rank = 40/153
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up too darn early, due to young son needing some attention. So, he and I had pre-race breakfast together. I had a peanut-butter, banana, and honey sandwich and glass of OJ. He had a banana, some milk, and cheerios. Got everything together and departed the house at about 6:40 a.m., to go meet my training partner at 7:15
Event warmup:

Stretch a little. Take off the long-sleeve shirt. Make friends with a tree for a few seconds. Get drenched by the last-minute rain. Off and running.
Run
  • 3h 55m 22s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

They failed to mention wet in describing the course. Very wet. Like, the bottom fell out at precisely 8:58 a.m. and the first two miles were in pouring rain. The single track, beginning about mile 2.5, was sloshy, muddy, water running across the trail the entire time. Just a mess. And a hoot! At 6 miles I was 21 seconds over my pace plan, and it started getting worse from there. I used up the legs on the single track, and began cramping at mile 13 or so pretty bad in my calves. From mile 19 on, I was mixing in some walking due to the cramping. I had three goals: Finish; finish in under 4:00, and finish in under 3:30. After 10 miles I determined that goal 3 was not going to happen today, so I resigned myself to fall back to goal 2.

200 registered entrants. 153 took the start. 150 made the cutoff. I was 31st at 11 miles, but slid back to 40th overall. I'm okay with that.
What would you do differently?:

I did not drink enough. I went too hard on the first 6 miles to try to make up time lost due to the wet conditions. I should have just relaxed and let the course come to me. Cramps killed me in my calves.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line. Got my finisher's pint glass. Got some water, some gatorae, an orange slice and bagel chunk, and an oreo. Started stretching, then went over to the large roaring fire inside Camp Lapihio lodge and that helped a ton with my calves. Went back out to the finish line and helped cheer in my training partners (who finished a little later than I did.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration, and having the flu last week didn't help either.

Event comments:

The single most challeging race I've done. Heck, it was my first marathon ever, so it was a PR for one thing, on a very very tough course. I am well pleased with the result, but wish I would have had something to offer for the last 8 miles or so.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-11-26 12:00 AM
Running
03:55:22 | 26.2 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 40/153
Performance: Good
Here's mile splits, best as I could get 'em. 1 8:52 (sloppy gravel/mud road, packed with folks) 2 7:24 we got out onto Reedy Creek b/b, and I could free up a little 3 and 4 16:34 for 2 miles (missing mile 3 marker) through the first bit of Company Mill single track; I took a tad of water at the aid station 5 8:17 some Graylyn, some Sycamore 6 9:37 Sycamore. Ow. 7 8:24 More Sycamore, some Graylyn again; took some water at the aid station 8 7:40 Graylyn almost back up to Reedy Creek 9 7:57 Reedy Creek up towards Turkey Creek 10 8:21 Reedy Creek/Turkey Creek intersection (I took a 25 second pee stop in the woods); the big thing here was Lainey and the boys came to cheer me on here!!! I really needed that. I stopped briefly to hi-five the family, then off I went on South Turkey Creek 11 7:55 down South Turkey Creek 12 7:54 still on South TC; second surprise-my parents came to see me right at the Crabtree Creek bridge. That was a huge surprise and a big lift to see them there. Thanks Mom and Dad!! 13 8:23 cool thing at the aid station; staffed by "prom queens" decked out in formal dresses. They were hugely entertaining. So, my 13 mile split was 1:47:25. 14 8:33 North Turkey Creek, the hill, up across creosote bridge 15 8:54 up Graylyn to the turnaround, then back toward Turkey Creek 16 8:40 back across creosote bridge, and the long uphill 17 9:01 almost back to Crabtree Creek (stopped briefly for water and gummi-bears) 18 8:57 just across Crabtree Creek, hurting bad at this point (calves cramped) Okay, did anyone see the wheels roll by today, that fell off my bus? 19 10:05 back up towards Reedy Creek 20 9:31 back on Turkey Creek; had just stopped for a water at the 19.5 aid station 21 10:08 climbing the corkscrew. I had an angel come up and run with me. Don't know her name, but she was just the mental help I needed. 22 10:13 starting down Cedar Ridge for the spur down to Pit of Despair 23 10:24 after the turnaround, and coming back up the hill. Walking a lot here. 24 11:00 See previous mile. Lots of run 500 feet, walk 50 25 10:57 back on Reedy Creek, climbing Cemetery. That stunk. I ran up about half of it, then walked about 15 seconds, then ran it solid over the top. Survival mode from here on in. 26 9:43 Gave it about all I could there at the end. I forgot that it was an uphill jaunt back up to the camp split roads, so that kinda killed my spirit. But, I gave it a good effort. .2 1:43 Not much to say here. Just brought it home.
Course: OHMYGOD. That's the hardest thing I've ever done, but I had a ton of fun doing it. Here's how it's described on the race website: Course: Hilly; Some rocky, rooty single-track; Hilly; Mostly wide sand and dirt bridle trails; Hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %4
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-03-08 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Umstead Trail Marathon

2008-03-08 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1260772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: RE: Umstead Trail Marathon

That's awesome!  I have run all of the trails except for the single track section and it is tough enough when it is dry.

Nice job.  I was thinking about you out there when I was laying in bed this morning.  Muddy, Rainy, Good for you!

2008-03-08 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Great job!!!!!

I was doing an indoor trainer ride this morning when I heard the skies open up the first thing I thought about was the poor people running the Umstead marathon.

You are one brave sole to choose this as your first marathon and you did an outstanding job with it. Your training has been very indicative that you can go much faster on a better day and easier course......so I'll be anxiously awaiting which race you pick next and to see how you do.

Make sure you give yourself ample recovery time even if you think you feel fine and can resume running within a couple of days. That is a major pounding on your body.
2008-03-08 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Sounds like an adventure! And really, isn't that the fun of it? No doubt about it, you are a great runner!

That race is tempting because it sounds like so much fun, but its a bit scary for me.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Umstead Trail Marathon Rss Feed