North Carolina Azalea Festival
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m 7s
Overall Rank = 252/262
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 36/37
Pre-race routine:

Went to the pre-race meeting & picked up my packet the night before. It wasn't anything earth shattering but I am glad I went. Found out I didn't have to have all my stuff ready to go until 9:30am since my race time was 10:35. Also I got a nice wind shell for like $35 so I was happy. Packed all my stuff that night & packed several different options. I wasn't sure what to wear because I didn't know if it was going to be raining or cold or what.

Event warmup:

Got up & no rain! Yay! The wind was supposed to be gusting at 35-40mph but it was really pretty warm. I opted for shorts, my cool Azalea Triathlon dri-fit shirt & my new light wind shell. I forgot my breakfast but the event had a lot of snacks already out so I was good to go. There were people who were already done with the race before I even got there. So I had plenty of time to walk around, watch people coming out of the water, watch them coming in from the run & just in general chill out. It really helped with nervousness to sort of be able to walk around & see what everyone else is doing. I also got to the pool & there was an extra pool where I could warm up. It let me get my breathing right before the race. Overall I felt the most ready to actually start the race than I have in the past.
Swim
  • 06m 42s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swimmers were going every 15 seconds. Seemed really organized. I had been worried I had the wrong swim time & would slow someone up. It turns out that I passed 2 people in front of me so I felt awesome coming out of the pool. I started 513 out of about 750 people
What would you do differently?:

I feel like the warming up in the water & getting my breathing down made SUCH a big difference on how I felt on the swim. I am very happy with this swim & feel it was one of my best.
Transition 1
  • 04m 55s
Comments:

I kind of farted around in both transitions. This tri didn't require a swim cap so I didn't wear one. I also wore my shirt into the pool this time, which I think was a good thing. I will definitely do it again. I didn't put socks on for the bike so that also kept me going good. I have gotten to where I like my process for T1 & was feeling good about this.

I was in the VERY furthest bike rack from the entrance & exit which kinda sucked but whaddaya gonna do. I have no control over that.

I think I did decent in this transition, but I will compare myself to others in the tri when the results are up
Bike
  • 42m 55s
  • 10 miles
  • 13.98 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

I farted around on this transition. I was trying to figure out where I was going to put my headset. I know it is illegal but I don't care. It takes me a long time to run my 5k so I want my tunes. But alas, I couldn't really get it together so that was pretty much a waste.

I had my socks already bunched up & ready to go. I had my shoes untied & loosened. I did really good on the shoe part I think.

Quit farting around.
Run
  • 45m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 14m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to do the run less than 45 minutes & I didn't quite make it. I think that it was mostly due to the wind & possibly from being a little tired from the bike.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down was good. I had a little snack & went on home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind mostly, my weight, lack of consistency in training

Event comments:

I was really happy with this race. I really appreciate it when I have a good race because I have been to a few bad ones. Way to go Set Up Events!

Last updated: 2008-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:42 | 300 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 31/37
Overall: 159/262
Performance: Good
I probably really did the swim in 6:15 or so, but we had to run quite a long way to get to the bike.
Suit:
Course: 300 yard snake pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:55 | 10 miles | 13.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/37
Overall: 230/262
Performance: Average
Average HR 156 Max 172
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: I had been on the course last week & felt comfortable on the route. I started out awesome with the wind at my back but that only lasted a mile. I pretty much go my ass kicked on the bike. I wanted to do the bike in less than 40 minutes but that didn't happen with the wind. There were some places where I was only going 10 mph. I think I did pretty good on keeping my cadence up when I wasn't getting killed by the wind. I saw a couple of people go down on the bike. Some guy had a huge tear in his bike shorts with a bloody red butt cheek. Another guy had the ambulance there - I think something with his ankle. It was a rough course today so I am happy with my results.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:45:39 | 03.11 miles | 14m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/37
Overall: 252/262
Performance: Average
average HR 159 max HR 165 4.3 mph
Course: Flat, out & back, on sidewalks (boo) Very well organized with lots of volunteers. I was really happy with this whole race. I didn't like the sidewalk thing but again, I have no control over this.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-03-09 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Azalea Festival Triathlon

2008-03-09 7:40 PM
in reply to: #1261382

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: Azalea Festival Triathlon

It was very nice meeting you. I think you did put in the wrong swim time... you're too fast to be seated near me! We did have a pretty nice group at our BOP bike rack.

I saw one biker down leaving the back of campus onto Rose, it made me nervous. I almost went down around Clear Run, just almost couldn't make it sharp enough and was heading for a gravel hole.

Good luck at the WAC and I'll see you at Riverwood, hopefully it won't be so windy.

2008-03-09 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Way to go Doc! I am ready to start the races, the fiirst one has so much anticipation.
2008-03-10 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1261918

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Awesome job getting the first race of the season out of the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2008-03-11 3:49 PM

Master
Houston

Hey, great way to start the season!!  Sounds like you had a good experience and you had a great race!  Nice job!

Rolling, rolling, rolling!! 

My first race is at the end of the month, can't wait to get there!

2008-03-11 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great race!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Azalea Festival Triathlon Rss Feed