Pegasus Productions
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Wait in LONG line in the pre-dawn DARK for the race shuttle. It was pretty chilly out.
Event warmup:

Traipse around the desert to skip the INSANE honey hut line, only to be discovered by another desert squatter since my husband was not taking his "look out" duties seriously. LOVELY! :)
Run
  • 2h 04m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Tanya was cute and was staying near the bus line looking for us even though we had already arrived. We found her and joked she was going the wrong way "but my friends are on the bus" she said! It was funny. We found her just in time to start walking to the start line on McDowell Road. We started pretty far back so had our share of people dodging. There was quite a bit more people than I thought there would be. But after the approx. 2 mile downhill we started the 1.6 mile TOUGH climb into Las Sendas. I had ridden this on my bike plenty of times and sure did not remember it being THIS LONG. WOW, it was tough. I lost Josh (Robot) on the downhill and he actually called me! I told him I was fine, I could see his orange hat and to keep going. He waited for me at the mile 3 aid station and we finished the climb together - could not talk, could hardly BREATH barely maintaining a 10:30. FINALLY the downhill. It was a good downhill I was trying to stay relaxed and just let my body take me. Las Sendas is beautiful, I could look up and see Red Mountain so I just focused on staying loose, enjoying the scenery and trucking on. Before I knew it I was at the 10K mark right under 58:00 which would be a 10K PR for me so I knew I was doing well. 10K marked a slight uphill where we were forced to cross the road as it was no longer coned/closed to traffic and we would run the rest of the race in the bike lane. Right around 7 miles was the SCREAMING downhill. Seemed like most people were afraid of it and put on the brakes, it was tough to weave in and out of such a narrow area but WOW it was crazy fast. I knew it was kind of beating my body up so I was REALLY careful to focus on leaning forward, letting my legs fly out behind me and just let gravity do the work. I was happy to see that end and was actually REALLY out of breath. The flat road along the river was a welcome respite. I was sure to take aid (water and Gatorade at every aid at this point) as it was really sunny and I was sweating a lot. I wish I could wear fuel belts to save me the time here but they just drive me crazy while running, oh well. The good feeling I had on the flats around 8 quickly dissipated as the NASTY hill around 9/10 came into view. I knew from climbing this on my bike that its a DOOZIE. I had hoped to keep my same 10:30 hill climbing pace up. Not to be. I noticed 11:30, 12:30 and even 13:00!!! I also felt like PUKING the whole way up it. I never quite recovered from that hill. It was BAD. I think I was just too fatigued for such a hill at that point. BUT it was over and now we had a 5K to go. From looking at my watch I knew that running 10 minute miles would get me in in 2:05! COOL! My goal had been 2:09, I knew I had 10's in me so I kept on. The miles from 11 on really sucked. They were relatively downhill, with some undulation but I was just so spent and the gatorade had not settled well from the start. I felt pukey and DONE. Plus my music was all whacked out (my playlist had ended and I was now listening to JOSH music, ugh) so it was not a lovely moment. But I was able to hold around 9:45. and finally...FINALLY it was over...crossed the line. Hit the watch and lo and behold 2:04 and 18 minute half mary PR!!! I always said I would be content as a runner when I could run sub 10 minute miles. I guess that means I have to be happy. And I am...so happy considering that old PR was a FLAT course. But, it also means...time for NEW GOALS! :)

What would you do differently?:

Not run a WEEK after Ragnar...be a little more prepared for this distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Got our medals, some water and eh food. Took a pic with Tanya and headed out!

Event comments:

Just wish there was some sports drink at the finish line rather than JUST water. Otherwise a good race.

Last updated: 2008-02-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:41 | 13.1 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-03-09 1:51 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: Valley of the Sun Half Marathon

2008-03-09 2:55 PM
in reply to: #1261516

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: RE: Valley of the Sun Half Marathon

Great job on the new PR - - especially with those hills!

I see sub 2hrs in your near future!

2008-03-09 3:37 PM

Pro
AZ
Sweet RR!  Awesome that you blew away your goal and you know.....you ARE a runner now! It's official.  Sub 10's is the official marker.  This one WAS a tough one.  Now I am anxious to do PF Changs again so I can see what running on a flat course is like again!
2008-03-09 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Holy Cow! 18 min off your PR- WTG. I knew you would do great at this race Way to hold it together when you felt like puking, its funny to say something like "only 5k to go" when most people cant even run a 5k. Well done! 

Cant wait for San Diego, but I hear its a bit longer

2008-03-09 10:29 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-10 8:31 AM

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Damn girl!!  That is awesome!!!  An 18 minute PR on a tough course after a long run a week prior!  Welcome to rockstar status!!  See what being a CF crazypants does?  Nice work!!  Sub 2, here comes Jen!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Valley of the Sun Half Marathon Rss Feed