North Carolina Azalea Festival
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 8s
Overall Rank = 249/302
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 28/30
Pre-race routine:

Had a bagel w/cream cheese at the hotel, drove over and picked up my packet around 7:30 and then back to the hotel. They weren't closing packet pick up until 9:30, but I was nervous. Had a bowl of oatmeal. I was taking my time all morning and then found myself scrambling. I never seem to have what I need where I need it. I brought the bike inside the hotel overnight, left the transition bag in the car. I decided to bike over to save the trouble of loading the bike, get warmed up and try out the handling in windy conditions. I had to walk down barefoot to get the bike shoes.

Set up transition with less stress than last season, but that's not saying a whole lot.
Event warmup:

The bike over (maybe 4 miles in 15 minutes) and then 150 yards swimming.
Swim
  • 07m 42s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt good, I let one guy pass, I even waited on him at the wall because I was beating myself up to stay ahead. I'm not good at turning under the lane markers, I reach the wall then duck under, and turn around to push off. I improved that on my last turn swimming into the wall and pushing off under the lane marker. I felt silly at the end, I knew where the ladder was, but I felt the need to swim to the end of the lane and touch the wall before coming back to the ladder.
What would you do differently?:

Turn better and go straight for the ladder.
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

This went pretty well, the barefoot run is what takes me so long.

I could be a little quicker, but no real mistakes here.
Bike
  • 34m 40s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Forgot the bike computer again! Really windy, 40 mph gusts! Lot of speed bumps too, and not just on campus. I felt strong most of the time, didn't use the aero bars as much as I hoped, but those gusts were scary. I did half aero a fair amount leaning on one elbow. I passed more than passed me! That's a first for me!

I'll be more comfortable in aero at my next race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

My back wheel came off the ground when I dismounted (that's a good thing I think), then I dropped my new bike! It got hung up on the cones and it slipped out of my hand. After the race I checked and the damage is minor. I tore the seat and the bar tape and added some scrapes to the pedal.

I was almost "that guy," but I remembered to take off my helmet. I stopped before the timing mat with the volunteer staring at me wondering why I stopped. I was checking to see if I did forget anything.

Make sure I swing wide of the cones and hold onto the bike! Be confident, get what I need and take off.
Run
  • 27m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I pushed hard right from the start. Then I pushed even harder on the second half. On the way out I think I drank too much and it didn't settle well. I took a little water at the turn around and skipped the rest. On the way back I think I accelerated too much, too soon. My HR was up around 175 and I was close to walking. Instead I backed off just a bit and was able to accelerate again as I approached the finish. I can only think of one person who passed me and he was from the open division, I guess running the loop again. I passed a fair number of people. Defintely a negative split, but I forgot to stop the watch at the end. The finish was in mud, really bad mud.

Nothing, maybe less water on the way out, but this was a great 5k for me!
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing, the family was grumpy right when I got to them. My son had wasn't interested in the finish and was trying to give mommy the sign they secretly made for me and she missed the picture. Its the thought that counts, the sign was very nice and they had yellow pom poms.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind! Training. Practice - on the tri bike and transitions.

Event comments:

It's a great race, big, but well organized. The flexibility for later starters to come out later is great.

Last updated: 2008-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:42 | 300 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/30
Overall: 282/302
Performance: Good
Avg HR 131
Suit:
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:40 | 10 miles | 17.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/30
Overall: 262/302
Performance: Average
Avg HR 156
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 1 loop, short course with some speed bumps and some beat up areas of road.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:51 | 03.11 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/30
Overall: 194/302
Performance: Good
Avg HR 165, 1st half 162, second half 169.
Course: All sidewalks, out and back. Wind was an issue here, too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-09 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Azalea Festival Triathlon

2008-03-09 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1261601

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Azalea Festival Triathlon

Awesome job Mark! Sounds like you're making great improvements.  If we didn't learn something each time, it'd be boring.  Great job in some fierce conditions.  I had several other friends racing down there, and they said it was hellawindy.  I wanted to do Azalea again this year, but the marathon schedule wouldn't allow it.

Oh, and the bike now knows who the boss is.  Mine has several battle scars, including two hard crashes, and just keeps on rolling along.  Don't let it worry you a bit.

2008-03-09 6:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Great race, congratulations! That wind was brutal and you made the best of it. Your times were great for all three events, big improvements over last year!
2008-03-09 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey Mark!  I was in your bike row.... we talked about your new Felt bike & how we both hit some cones on the way in from the transition.  We also sat together on the bench before the swim & we are both doing Riverwood.  I am glad I found you on here... you did really well on this tri!  Great run & bike times, considering the wind! 

See ya in Riverwood! 

2008-03-09 9:05 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Super job, Mark, especially in the nasty wind--boy, that can really dig into you, and kudos for sticking it out and doing well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Azalea Festival Triathlon Rss Feed