General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cadence question - cycling and running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-09 8:32 PM

Subject: Cadence question - cycling and running
Need some help/info about the role of cadence in both cycling and running. From what I understand, a good starting goal for a relative newbie like myself would be riding in the most difficult gear in which a cadence of 90rpms (or greater) can be maintained. All the training I've done up to this point has been at a lower (70 to 80 rpm) cadence. I'm sure there is alot more to it than this, but in a nutshell, is this line of thinking at least in the ballpark?

Also, is the role of cadence similar in running? More specifically, should I be running at whatever stride allows me to maintain this 90rpm cadence, or try to build my cadence up over time to suit an "ideal" stride length.

2008-03-09 10:28 PM
in reply to: #1261959

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Cadence question - cycling and running

i'm not gonna really touch on the pedaling part of the question.  i'll just say that for a given speed, its usually more efficient to spin faster in a lower gear than it is to go the same speed in a bigger gear and lower rpm (cadence). 

as you start to run, you've been pedalling at 90 so now when you run your feet will be travelling the same speed.  yes, do not concern yourself with stride length at this point.  you should be running at about 90 no matter what speed you are going.  it may feel like baby steps but thas ok.  there is no ideal stride length.  as your fitness improves and you get stronger your strides will get longer.  cadence will maintain constant.  it is much more economical to have a high running cadence. 

2008-03-10 7:14 AM

User image

Runner

phatboy - 2008-03-09 9:32 PM Also, is the role of cadence similar in running? More specifically, should I be running at whatever stride allows me to maintain this 90rpm cadence, or try to build my cadence up over time to suit an "ideal" stride length.

There is no right cadence for everyone.  The 90 is an average cadence observed by Dr. Daniels.  Note the word "average"; some had lower, some had higher. 

Here's the simplest answer to your question: run lots.  Yes, it seems trite, but it is the truth.  You will increase your stride length and cadence naturally based on what is most efficient for your body.  The problem with trying to match to some random number is that it may not be the most efficient for you.  Should you work on increasing turnover?  Of course.  But don't try to match someone else's.  There is a proper way to do so.  Running uphill can increase stride length.  Running downhill can increase turnover.  You can do strides as well.  If you are new to running, however, you are better off worrying much more about your consistency and frequency than your cadence.  It will come with time.

Run whatever feels comfortable and natural. 

2008-03-10 7:28 AM

User image

Champion
MA

When pedaling we use two systems muscular endurance and aerobic. Low cadence is better for one and high cadence is better for the other. Finding the sweet spot for you is the key. When I do high cadence work ie 105+ my HR is higher at same watt output than if I do my normal cadence and low cadence my HR is even lower.

I started riding back in '04 with low cadence probably in the 70's as that is how I rode as a kid. After working on different drills, training with a coach, I have found my sweet spot is 97-98 on the bike. If I do hard efforts intense efforts like time trials I can go 2-3 higher.

Interesting I just for kicks recently counted my turn over running and it was 96. I found it interesting that they were exactly the same. I think my body has figured out what works best for me.

Back when I was working on changing my running I think my turn over was in the low 80s. Two years ago I worked on landing more midfoot instead of heal striker and in time naturally my run cadence changed with that. 

In time your natural spot will become apparent. 

2008-03-10 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
run barefoot to get an idea of what cadence you body probably should be doing. But I am a hippie type on this topic and I think modern shoes have ruined our stride and cause many more problems than they solve. Feel free to ignore it. and continue to run in more and more shoe and more rigid insoles.

I do believe that a best cadence differs for each person. Where I disagree with most is the theory 'whatever your run cadence is now is your natural cadence or you would not be doing it'

Edited by indygreg 2008-03-10 7:35 AM
2008-03-10 7:48 AM

User image

Giver

As tag said, 90 cycles per minute is ideal for running. Watch any elite runner, and no matter if they're just jogging slowly or running race-pace, that's the cadence they are running at. Biomechanically, speaking, it's the most efficient place to be. Ideally, your foot should strike just under your knee, and that cadence allows you to do that.

As you slow you're running cadence down, you increase the distance your foot hits the ground in fron of your knee. And when you start doing that, you initiate braking forces that ruins your running economy. It also transmits a lot of force to your knees and hips, increasing the likelyhood of injury.

Regarding stride length, refer to the following formula:

Speed = cadence x stride length

If you want to go faster, you have to increase your stride length while keeping your cadence at least constant. Increasing your candence doesn't mean running faster.

2008-03-10 8:00 AM
in reply to: #1262439

User image

Runner
run4yrlif - 2008-03-10 8:48 AM

As tag said, 90 cycles per minute is ideal for running. Watch any elite runner, and no matter if they're just jogging slowly or running race-pace, that's the cadence they are running at. Biomechanically, speaking, it's the most efficient place to be. Ideally, your foot should strike just under your knee, and that cadence allows you to do that.

As you slow you're running cadence down, you increase the distance your foot hits the ground in fron of your knee. And when you start doing that, you initiate braking forces that ruins your running economy. It also transmits a lot of force to your knees and hips, increasing the likelyhood of injury.

What?

There are a number of elite runners who don't run at a 90 cadence.  Additionally, slowing your cadence does not necessarily equate to overstriding, which is what you are describing.

2008-03-10 8:30 AM
in reply to: #1262453

User image

Giver
Scout7 - 2008-03-10 9:00 AM

What?

There are a number of elite runners who don't run at a 90 cadence.  Additionally, slowing your cadence does not necessarily equate to overstriding, which is what you are describing.

So I was taught that by both Jack Daniels and Dave Scott. I'd love to see someone with a slow cadence who doesn't overstride--if you can find some video, I'd love to see it. I'm not saying it's not impossible, but, biomechanically, I just don't see how it's possible.

2008-03-10 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1262511

User image

Runner
run4yrlif - 2008-03-10 9:30 AM

What?

There are a number of elite runners who don't run at a 90 cadence. Additionally, slowing your cadence does not necessarily equate to overstriding, which is what you are describing.

So I was taught that by both Jack Daniels and Dave Scott. I'd love to see someone with a slow cadence who doesn't overstride--if you can find some video, I'd love to see it. I'm not saying it's not impossible, but, biomechanically, I just don't see how it's possible.

There is going to be some level of variation in your cadence depending on how hard/fast you are running.  Go out for an easy jog, and see what happens.  Define "slow cadence".

Daniels stated that elite runners have an average cadence of 90.  He mentioned this because he felt that a higher turnover reduced the shock of landing, thus reducing chance of injury.  There is no magic number.  90 works for some, but not others.

2008-03-10 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1262453

User image

Veteran

run4yrlif - 2008-03-10 8:48 AM

What?

There are a number of elite runners who don't run at a 90 cadence. Additionally, slowing your cadence does not necessarily equate to overstriding, which is what you are describing.

Elite runners are very close to 90, research tells us that. That is how they came up with 90, not the other way around. I am nearly sure there are no elite distance runners running below a cadence of 80.

Yes, low cadence does = overstriding. There is no way around it. Go run at 75 and don't overstride and send us the video.
2008-03-10 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1262548

User image

Runner
OK, you're exactly right.  90 spm is the best cadence for every runner out there.

2008-03-10 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1262556

User image

Giver

Scout7 - 2008-03-10 9:52 AM OK, you're exactly right.  90 spm is the best cadence for every runner out there.

It's all about economy... there nay be runners who do very well overstriding, but physics says they aren't as efficient as they could be.

2008-03-10 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1262573

User image

Runner
run4yrlif - 2008-03-10 10:05 AM

Scout7 - 2008-03-10 9:52 AM OK, you're exactly right. 90 spm is the best cadence for every runner out there.

It's all about economy... there nay be runners who do very well overstriding, but physics says they aren't as efficient as they could be.

Not everyone runs at 90.  Not everyone overstrides.  That's my point.  Just because you don't run at 90 spm does not mean you are overstriding.  Additionally, you can run at 90 spm and still be overstriding.  One does not necessarily beget the other.

And if people took the time to read what I post, you would see that I have no problem with improving stride rate.  I'm all for it, I can even suggest ways to do so.  What I think is wrong is the idea that there is a one size fits all mentality when it comes to this sort of thing.  Not everyone is efficient or economical at 90 spm.  However, considering the majority of runners are already within 10% of 90, it means that there are other, more important factors to consider.  Regarding the OP's question, I think he/she is better off not worrying about 90 spm, and will be better served by running more. 

2008-03-10 9:13 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I agree with Scout in the sense that there is not such a thing as optimal cadence. What Daniels studied showed in general that many elite runners will indeed exhibit a cadence around 90 steps per leg or 180 steps per minute but this will  vary and there are documented cases of elite marathoners with a cadence as low as 80 or high as 100. This idea that the ‘optimal’ cadence is 90 is been spread around and become popular knowledge that’s all. But since we listen this over and over through different venues is normal to assume it is a fact.

Actually I could tell you that there is literature and studies showing how most elite marathoners exhibit a heel striking gait yet I am sure many around believe the ‘optimal’ way to run is via mid-foot to fore-foot striking and will think I am lying, although I am not. (But that’s irrelevant for the OP)

Anyway, there is seems to be a correlation between speed and cadence, hence since most elite runners usually run the fastest it is normal for them to exhibit faster cadences. For an avg MOP running 10 min/miles striving for a 90 cadence might seem unnatural and uncomfortable. For this athletes is better to make the focus on running more so they can grow fitter and faster and keep a cadence around 80 (only higher if the can) as they run more and pace increases, cadence most likely will increase as well.

In terms of cycling we have the same dilemma; the popular knowledge suggests that the optimal cadence is around 90. Later a higher cadence becomes more popular thanks to the study performed on Lance A. but again what it is often misunderstood is that cadence is a function of power and LA was able to spin at a fast cadence because he was also generating a considerable amount of power.

The fact is that specific studies about ‘optimal’ cadence determined it was around 80 rpm (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=2880) but it seems between 80-100rpm the energy requirements are around the same. The main reason is been suggest to keep a cadence of 180 for running and 90 for running for triathlons it is because it seems it can make the transition from biking to running easier. as long as your cycling cadence matches your running cadence whatever it is the transition should feel comfortable.

For the OP - I would advice to experiment in the 80-100 range for both B/R and go with whatever feels comfortable for you and as you become fitter see if there are any changes or if increasing your cadence makes you feel more comfortable or faster.

2008-03-10 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1262556

User image

Veteran
Scout7 - 2008-03-10 9:52 AM

OK, you're exactly right. 90 spm is the best cadence for every runner out there.

Glad we could be of some assistance.
2008-03-10 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1262548

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
indygreg - 2008-03-10 8:48 AM

Yes, low cadence does = overstriding. There is no way around it. Go run at 75 and don't overstride and send us the video.

Uh. Try setting a metronome at 75. Run in place for a while, matching your cadence. Now start moving forward by putting your lead foot out a couple of inches.

2008-03-10 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1262597

User image

Runner

indygreg - 2008-03-10 10:13 AM
Scout7 - 2008-03-10 9:52 AM OK, you're exactly right. 90 spm is the best cadence for every runner out there.

Yes, quite helpful. 

2008-03-10 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1262588

User image

Veteran
However, considering the majority of runners are already within 10% of 90, it means that there are other, more important factors to consider. Regarding the OP's question, I think he/she is better off not worrying about 90 spm, and will be better served by running more.

I am not so sure that a majority are within 10%, but that is simply a guess.

I disagree with the last line quite a bit. Working on form is wise before someone gets too into habits. I can tell you it took me 3 months of focus to go from like a 73 cadence to around a 90 running. This was after I was at 30 miles per week.

When I tried 90 at first it seemed impossible. I tried to improve 2-4 beats a week. That was easy. Now 90 is like second nature. I often drift to around 95. I could not even imagine trying to do 73 now.

At any rate, I wish I had focused more on this before I was running the miles I was, it would have been easier.

And we are on the same page for the most part. There is no perfect cadence or everyone. 90 is a guide, but it is a guide I think all should strive to at least get near . . . and see if it does not help them. As I increased my cadence my pace at the same HR sped up and I felt better so the results were clear to me.

2008-03-10 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1262602

User image

Veteran
Scout7 - 2008-03-10 10:14 AM

indygreg - 2008-03-10 10:13 AM

Yes, quite helpful.

My response was of course a smart a$$ response to the "I give up" reply that is in nearly every thread on the internet.
2008-03-10 9:21 AM
in reply to: #1262601

User image

Veteran
TheSchwamm - 2008-03-10 10:14 AM

indygreg - 2008-03-10 8:48 AM

Uh. Try setting a metronome at 75. Run in place for a while, matching your cadence. Now start moving forward by putting your lead foot out a couple of inches.

Do that at a 9 min/mile pace or faster and send me the video. If you are not overstriding a $10 starbucks giftcard will be in the mail the next day.
2008-03-10 9:31 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Sarcasm is lost on the interweb quite often Tim ........ Cool

It is better to spin faster in my worthless opinion.  You will be using an "easier" gear and in my experience this allows you to maintain your speed in a much better fashon then someone grinding away at 70 or 80.  Try to accellerate quickly when you are doing that.  It just ain't gonna happen.  Then try to accellerate while spin a higher cadence and easier gear.  Much easier to do and you don't feel like you are fighting the bike.

I've always been a "spinner" even well before LA made it popular.  It is just what feels natural and is where I have gotten the best results.  Yes, climbing my cadence will go down some, but not much, and that is also a function of what gear I decide to climb in.  One of the most telling things from my races last year was passing people grinding away the hills in their 53 x 21 in my oly. race while I spun by them in my 39 x 23 (about 5 mph faster than them).  All because they wanted to "power" the hill???  Why???

As for coming off the bike and running?  Your legs are tired, your body is not used to running after "X" time of riding.  The whole idea that your legs will be turning over at the same rate as they were on the bike is bogus in my opinion.  You will be running whatever feels comfortable, not what you were pedaling.  I can absolutely guarantee I'm not turning over 100 - 105 spm when I get off the bike and start running and that is what I ride at.

Just an opinion, take it as that and nothing else.  But I'm firmly in the Scout and amiine camp on this one.  There is no ideal-must-do turnover.  There is a range where you often see pros, but I can say that they did not sit there and force their bodies to do that rate, it was something they developed over years and thousands of miles of running.

You want turnover and stride length of the pros???  Do as Scout said and run lots .... and I mean lots ....... 1,500+ miles a year ...... for 5 to 10 years .......... then you will have the same sort of stride and running economy that the pros do.  Because that's how they developed it.  Once again we're back to the "no way to get fast quick" argument.  The thing people (especially novice athletes) always seem to forget, the pros are the way they are becuase they've been doing this for YEARS upon years.  It doesn't happen overnight.

2008-03-10 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1262621

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

indygreg - 2008-03-10 9:21 AM
TheSchwamm - 2008-03-10 10:14 AM
indygreg - 2008-03-10 8:48 AM Yes, low cadence does = overstriding. There is no way around it. Go run at 75 and don't overstride and send us the video.

Do that at a 9 min/mile pace or faster and send me the video. If you are not overstriding a $10 starbucks giftcard will be in the mail the next day.

There was some video of Faris at IMH a couple years ago in the mid-70s range (76 actually, IIRC).  Well under 9:00 pace and no over-striding.  Maybe not the form for everyone to shoot for (and perhaps he could do even better with a faster turnover), but does work for some people and is not an immediate sign of overstriding.

That said, I think most people with lower cadences do suffer from overstriding and could do well to focus on lifting turnover (however they choose to approach it).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cadence question - cycling and running Rss Feed