General Discussion Race Reports! » Zephryhills Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Zephryhills Spring Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Zephryhills, Florida
United States
East Pasco YMCA
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 58s
Overall Rank = 6/87
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Heart Smart Cereal, Heed Drink
Event warmup:

Not much. No ability to swim first, just stretched and tried to stay warm.
Swim
  • 05m 33s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

My utter lack of swimming showed. Swam with Tri top on, not good. The Orca tri top always feels like it is dragging me down, time for a new one. Swam 17 seconds SLOWER than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Either swim with no top, or get a different one. No way I can swim with that top in a non-wetsuit legal FL 70.3.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Pretty good up until I went to clip in. Could not get feet in clips. Need to learn to ride with feet on pedals and then slip in. Tri after tri I struggle to get my feet in the clips.

Time to work on the "feet on the shoes" bike start.
Bike
  • 29m 16s
  • 11 miles
  • 22.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a pretty good ride. Rode 14 seconds slower than last year, however, the course was different and conditions were worse. Looked at the times of others YOY and see pretty consistantly slower times this year, often times by minutes not seconds. However, I rode 2/11 in AG (got beat by the guy who won the race last year by 6 seconds) and 4/87, so, come on, how bad of a ride was it?? Still feel like my run focus hurt a little, but overall a decent ride. Had a TON of problems with the bike. The computer monitor was pushed into the spokes coming out of T1, spent the first 1/4 mile dorking with it to get it out of the spokes. Once that was resolved I had a great deal of shifting problems. Back derailer kept jumping gears, up 2, down 2, very annoying. Just got a new DA cassette, need to take a look. However, bike needs a Tune Up before St. A's.

Need more time in the saddle. I knew the marathon training would hurt, but overall I think I am or maybe a touch ahead where I was last year at this time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Great T2. Got out of the shoes as good as I can, jumped off the bike moving, racked it well, got the helmet off and new Zoot kicks on perfectly and was out.
Run
  • 22m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Have spent the last 5 years doing tri's with the goal of breaking 23 min on the run, and did it. Was lucky to fall in about 20 yards behind the female leader right out of T2 and just paced her. I ran 8:05:60-Mile 1, 7:01:10-mile 2 and then a 7:47:48-Mile 3.1 (7:05 pace for last 1.1). At the mile 2 marker I got passed by a guy in my AG that I though started 45 seconds ahead of me, so I tried to keep him within 30 seconds (I actually beat him by 2 mins, but he ran a 21:13, which happens to be my 5k PR). Chasing him allowed my to pass the female leader (who I beat by 3 mins). This proved to me I can run 7's! Shaved 1:15 off of the same course last year! On a side note, I purchased new Zoot Ultra TT's the day before the race and this was the first run in them. I LOVE THESE SHOES!!!! Not only because of how great they were in T2, but how comfy they were. I would not have gone under an hour if I had to put socks on and probably would not have run under 23 mins.

Maybe go out a little stronger. The 8:05 mile 1 was the anomolly, but I still did not have the confidence in my run to push so hard so early, time to change that!
Post race
Event comments:

This is a great little race!! A noe on timliness. This race was scheduled to start at 8:30. According to my watch, the first person hit the pool at 8:30:07! That was unreal!!!! They had a nice podum for the awards ceremony, which was pretty cool actually, made people stick around and actually allowed you to recognize the people who placed. I love the free massage.

Last updated: 2007-11-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:33 | 300 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 26/87
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:29:16 | 11 miles | 22.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 4/87
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Course was pretty challenging for a Florida course. It was windy, the road was super rough and there were actually some long hills. Not steep, but long.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:55 | 03.11 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 10/87
Performance: Good
Course: Again, for Florida, the course was pretty hilly. The first 1/2 mile was on a path that was broken blacktop and REALLY rough to run on, then we weaved through some housing complexes with ups and downs and into the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes