El Consejo,
Venezuela
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Expert Master A
Age Group Rank = 40/62
Pre-race routine:

Got home last night after the Deep Purple concert (a dream come true!) at roughly 1am. Should have had dinner, but went straight to bed.

Got up at 5am, ate a sandwhich and left for the race. Mayde's AG would start at 8:30 while mine at noon.

Watched Mayde's race, she was doing fine for the first two laps but lost some time on the last one. She ended up 4th in her AG.
Event warmup:

Didn't drink enough while watching the races. At 10am I ate half a sandwhich and drank about a bottle of water. Couldn't find my salt tablets.

Half an hour prior to the start, I rode around a bit.
Bike
  • 2h 24m 37s
  • 36 kms
  • 14.94 km/hr
Comments:

My goal was to keep my laps around 33-35 min. and hammer away on the last one.
Race start: 12:15pm...HOT!

Lap 1 32:32
About 50 meters from the start there was a pile up, and I got stuck behind a bit. Did OK picking up the pace and pushing hard on the flats to avoid traffic in the narrower sections.

Not many downhills, but I made up time on the few that were there. Also, I did great on the singletrack.

Lap 2 33:45
Less traffic, but the heat got worse.

Lap 3 35:56
Took it a bit easier to save some strength for the 4th and final lap. I was happy that this had been a drama-less race...if only it had ended then, LOL.

Lap 4 42:01
Early into the 4th lap I had a power gel. Too little, too late. I was mentally ready to put the hammer down on the second and final half of the lap, but early into the first climb, I got leg cramps, got off the bike, finished the climb (I had walked it anyways in the previous laps) and got back on. Passed the little nasty downhill and stood up on the pedals to speed away...only to be met by calf cramps this time. Downshifted and rode them off for a while until the next little climb. This one was walked by everyone because there was no traction, but what had been a run in previous laps for me was now a slow walk with three little breaks. On to the single track, where I had been going fast and catching a few other riders before, but I couldn't push it; my legs were fried. Kept riding along, at an easy pace, letting my mind get to me, until I got lapped by a friend racing in the elite category. I sort of woke up for a few minutes and rode hard until the beginning of the next little technical ascent. There, I got calf cramps again and got down to walk. I stopped a few times during that little walk, which surprised me. Then on to the final singletrack descent. I rode harder than in previous laps but not entirely in control; fortunately, I cleared the section. Then it was on to the final climb, which I had done twice in the middle chain ring (1st and 2nd lap) and once in small chainring (3rd lap), but had to stop, get off the bike and stretch. My calfs seized up, some areas near the groin also and even my hands...right under the thumbs. I walked up, pausing repeatedly to rest or shake off cramps. After a little downhill, I coasted through the flat area and finished the race...then tried to drink and eat everything in sight.
What would you do differently?:

Since the previous Saturday, I had run approximately 65km (in 4 different runs), which is a high number for me; I'm pretty sure I wasn't riding on fresh legs for this race. Also, it had been a very stressful work week in which I paid little attention to nutrition/hydration. A poor night's sleep and lack of MTB-specific training also come into play. I should have been much more aware of my hydration/nutrition the whole morning before my noon start, gotten my salt tablets (I'm a very heavy sweater) and started eating earlier during the race (at least every 45min).

Lesson learnt.
Post race
Warm down:

I was a zombie for quite a while afterwards and, after 15 minutes on the road, had to ask Mayde to drive back home as I was falling asleep at the wheel. When I got home, even after eating and drinking plenty following the race, I was still nearly 3kg's under my AM weight!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Above.

Not a good race, but a learning experience. I hate feeling like shit during a race + I hate drama.

So I'll be more alert in the weeks leading up to future races. I did get to wear my AC/DC cycling jersey!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-02-24 12:00 AM
Biking
02:24:37 | 36 kms | 14.94 km/hr
Age Group: 40/62
Overall: 62/
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: 9k loop.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-10 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Gatorade MTB I, Sta. Teresa

2008-03-10 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1262816

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Gatorade MTB I, Sta. Teresa
Felix, you have the ability, but you had no plan..other than time goals...you barely ate, slept very little and started late.  Next time you'll know, RIGHT??!!   Cramping sucks.   As a wise blogger told me, drink some pedilyte   Good race buddy.  Congrats to Mayde!!  4th!!!
2008-03-10 10:59 PM
in reply to: #1262816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Gatorade MTB I, Sta. Teresa
The concert was good though???

Sorry it fell apart for you today. 3kgs under your AM weight is a worry. Hopefully you're recovering well.

Lesson learnt indeed!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade MTB I, Sta. Teresa Rss Feed